aguy

Default repair fan

Hi,

I have a floor fan which stopped working a few days back. My first
thought was that the speed regulator had gone bad. The regulator is made
by Tower Switches and there is no part number on it. It has four ports:
1, 2, 3, and 4. From the wall outlet, one wire goes straight to the fan,
while the other one goes to one of the ports in the switch. Three wires
come out of there and go to different parts of the fan (I have not
opened the fan far enough to see where they connect to). Since I thought
the speed controller was bad, I disconnected the wires from the switch
and took each of them individually and connected them straight to the
second line from the wall outlet. The fan did not run. I would
appreciate if anyone can suggest if there any hope of my repairing the fan?

Thanks.

Does the fan blade turn easily ?
I have had lots of trouble with fans that use a bushing as a bearing
rather than use ball bearings. The lubercant dries out and the fan
stops workings. You have to re-oil the bushing again and again. I have
yet to find a lubercant that will last.
John

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does the fan blade turn easily ?
I have had lots of trouble with fans that use a bushing as a bearing
rather than use ball bearings. The lubercant dries out and the fan
stops workings. You have to re-oil the bushing again and again. I have
yet to find a lubercant that will last.
John

I've had good luck with automotive wheel bearing grease, you do need to wash
out the old oil first though. BB fans are much better.

Plague Boy

aguy wrote:
Hi,

I have a floor fan which stopped working a few days back.

I would
appreciate if anyone can suggest if there any hope of my repairing the fan?

the mystery of "Sudden Fan Death" (SFD) was solved
when I was browsing through the All Electronics
(www.allelectronics.com) catalog. they offered a fan
motor with "built in, one-time, thermal circuit breaker".

Short of a better answer from somebody else, that
would be my guess. It would not surprise me if the
manufacturers set the trip point *very close* to the
temp the motor reaches when running continously on a
hot day g.

--
PB
"Fresh windows units enter the internet backwards, bent

aguy

Plague Boy wrote:
aguy wrote:

Hi,

I have a floor fan which stopped working a few days back.

I would

appreciate if anyone can suggest if there any hope of my repairing the
fan?

the mystery of "Sudden Fan Death" (SFD) was solved when I was
browsing through the All Electronics (www.allelectronics.com) catalog.
they offered a fan motor with "built in, one-time, thermal circuit
breaker".

Short of a better answer from somebody else, that would be my guess.
It would not surprise me if the manufacturers set the trip point *very
close* to the temp the motor reaches when running continously on a hot
day g.

If it is SFD, does it mean that I have to throw away the fan or is there
any hope of repairing it? Consiering that it cost only ~15 bucks, maybe
I should just get rid of it.
spudnuty

I have repaired these. In my case it was the thermal breaker but I had
another identical motor with a frozen armature. I swapped the breaker
out of it and the fan works fine.
There is this one at All Electronics:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...110&type=store
but you should match the ratings.
Richard

Asimov

"aguy" bravely wrote to "All" (04 Sep 05 17:03:47)
--- on the heady topic of "repair fan"

The ports 1,2,3,4 wires go to different taps on the motor winding.
Here is an analogy, consider this type of motor being similar to a
transformer with taps to select the voltage.

As to what your problem may be, it is either a bad switch, an open
main winding, or the thermal cutout fuse. The thermal cutout is a very
common failure because the motor winding may have become very hot.

The thermal cutout is supposed to protect your home from burning down.
It is usually buried in the winding and often difficult to replace.
Fans are terribly inexpensive though, why bother fixing it?

A*s*i*m*o*v

ag From: aguy
ag Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:341349

ag I have a floor fan which stopped working a few days back. My first
ag thought was that the speed regulator had gone bad. The regulator is
ag made by Tower Switches and there is no part number on it. It has four
ag ports: 1, 2, 3, and 4. From the wall outlet, one wire goes straight to
ag the fan, while the other one goes to one of the ports in the switch.
ag Three wires come out of there and go to different parts of the fan (I
ag have not opened the fan far enough to see where they connect to). Since
ag I thought the speed controller was bad, I disconnected the wires from
ag the switch and took each of them individually and connected them
ag straight to the second line from the wall outlet. The fan did not run.
ag I would appreciate if anyone can suggest if there any hope of my
ag repairing the fan?
ag Thanks.

.... Integrated Circuit (n): a device used to protect fuses.