Asimov

"aguy" bravely wrote to "All" (04 Sep 05 17:03:47)
--- on the heady topic of "repair fan"

The ports 1,2,3,4 wires go to different taps on the motor winding.
Here is an analogy, consider this type of motor being similar to a
transformer with taps to select the voltage.

As to what your problem may be, it is either a bad switch, an open
main winding, or the thermal cutout fuse. The thermal cutout is a very
common failure because the motor winding may have become very hot.

The thermal cutout is supposed to protect your home from burning down.
It is usually buried in the winding and often difficult to replace.
Fans are terribly inexpensive though, why bother fixing it?

A*s*i*m*o*v

ag From: aguy
ag Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:341349

ag I have a floor fan which stopped working a few days back. My first
ag thought was that the speed regulator had gone bad. The regulator is
ag made by Tower Switches and there is no part number on it. It has four
ag ports: 1, 2, 3, and 4. From the wall outlet, one wire goes straight to
ag the fan, while the other one goes to one of the ports in the switch.
ag Three wires come out of there and go to different parts of the fan (I
ag have not opened the fan far enough to see where they connect to). Since
ag I thought the speed controller was bad, I disconnected the wires from
ag the switch and took each of them individually and connected them
ag straight to the second line from the wall outlet. The fan did not run.
ag I would appreciate if anyone can suggest if there any hope of my
ag repairing the fan?
ag Thanks.

.... Integrated Circuit (n): a device used to protect fuses.