Stan Sanderson

Default Toshiba SD-43HT protection error

This is a "home theater in a box" unit which (with another Toshiba unit,
the SD-KT50) was the subject of a successful class-action lawsuit. The
unit becomes inoperable with known-good DVDs. Symptoms a at power-on,
the message "Hello... Protection... Goodbye" followed by shutdown.

The only way to remove an inserted CD or DVD (other than disassembly) is
to turn the volume control immediately after power-up and press the
eject button at the same time.

Toshiba's web site states that it is a known problem caused by a
third-party component and is easily fixed by a service technician.
Toshiba is willing to repair the unit but a service facility is some
distance away. I have informed Toshiba that I am a certified computer
repair person, a former amateur radio operator, a retired physics
teacher, and am comfortable with board-level repairs. Toshiba states
they cannot share which component is involved or suggest a procedure to
remedy the problem and it must go to the repair facility.

I have spent a few hours on the 'net looking for an answer to the
problem without success. I'd be grateful to anyone with some information
about the problem, even if it still requires a trip to the repair
service.

Stan
James Sweet

"Stan Sanderson" wrote in message
news
[...]

Often this sort of problem is caused by shorted output devices in the audio
amplifier section, I'm not experienced with this particular model though.

Stan Sanderson

In article S7eQe.15161$Bc2.873@trnddc06,
"James Sweet" wrote:

[...]

Thank you for responding. I was hoping someone might have seen a
relevant Toshiba service bulletin. The class action settlement (see
www.dvdnotice.com/) suggests many customers were/are affected.

electrical interruption Choreboy Home Repair 41 April 17th 05 10:14 PM
Toshiba DVD,SD-V291,incorrect disc error [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 January 5th 05 12:34 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
ICs for Sale - Specials, obsolete and Memory The Photographer Electronics Repair 0 June 3rd 04 11:40 PM
"Windows protection error" Sidney Electronics Repair 29 October 2nd 03 04:28 PM