David Nugent

Default Failing TV First flicking, now Straight Line until warms up.

I've got a 27" Magnasonic TV (actually my mother in-laws).. For a few
weeks, she was telling me when the sound was turned up, or she walked across
the floor, the picture would cut in and out.. (Sounded to me like maybe a
loose solder joint(s) being affected by vibration.. Now she is telling me
when she turns it on, all she gets is a horizontal bar in the center of the
screen and after about 10 minutes, she gets a picture.

I have an electronics background, but spent most of my career working in
digital electronics.. Can anyone suggest me where I should start looking
for this problem. (HV section? - Flyback maybe?) And does this sound like a
solder joint problem or component failure.

Appreciate any help/suggestions..

Thanks,
Dave

Someone

Happened to me several times...

Open the TV, and look at the 4 wires attached to the coils on the tube
itself. These wires control the horizontal and vertical lines. Trace these
wires to the board, you will find that they go next to a chip with a
heatsink. Examine the pins and you will find a breakage in the solder, just
resolder and everything will be okay. In my case I found a breakage around
the pin.