Mistress

Default Little rubbery things

I was just inside my dropped-once-too-often Beckman 310 meter. The
display assembly is in pieces; it's a goner.

But I am curious. Between the display proc and the LCD are two strips of
flexible rubber that apparently are connections of some type. Can anyone
explain further?
N Cook

"Mistress" wrote in message
. ..
I was just inside my dropped-once-too-often Beckman 310 meter. The
display assembly is in pieces; it's a goner.

But I am curious. Between the display proc and the LCD are two strips of
flexible rubber that apparently are connections of some type. Can anyone
explain further?

I don't know what they're called but presumably an inspired idea by someone
with no recognised credit.
Sandwich of fine conductive fingers and flexible medium.
Conductors perhaps 3 or 5 times thinner than the glass conductive traces or
pcb lands. So can take up a
lot of out of parallel movement, and misregistration as only one finger per
contact needs to make any contact
and mechanically isolates the glass from the pcb - Billiant!

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Sam Goldwasser

"N Cook" writes:

"Mistress" wrote in message
. ..
I was just inside my dropped-once-too-often Beckman 310 meter. The
display assembly is in pieces; it's a goner.

But I am curious. Between the display proc and the LCD are two strips of
flexible rubber that apparently are connections of some type. Can anyone
explain further?

I don't know what they're called but presumably an inspired idea by someone
with no recognised credit.
Sandwich of fine conductive fingers and flexible medium.
Conductors perhaps 3 or 5 times thinner than the glass conductive traces or
pcb lands. So can take up a
lot of out of parallel movement, and misregistration as only one finger per
contact needs to make any contact
and mechanically isolates the glass from the pcb - Billiant!

The commmon name is "Zebra Stripe Connector" for obvious reasons.

The original poster won't have problems with these anymore, but most of
us haven't been so lucky.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

DBLEXPOSURE

"JANA" wrote in message
By-the-way, Beckman sells replacement parts for your meter. They can also
service it for a reasonable rate.

--

JANA
_____

"Mistress" wrote in message
. ..
I was just inside my dropped-once-too-often Beckman 310 meter. The
display assembly is in pieces; it's a goner.

But I am curious. Between the display proc and the LCD are two strips of
flexible rubber that apparently are connections of some type. Can anyone
explain further?

Not sure what the rubber strips are without seeing them..

I hate to be opertunistic and perhaps you can get your 310 up and running
again. But if you do decide to take the plunge and do some meter shopping.
We have a wide range of DMM's do you have special requirements? True RMS,
serial port, componant tester etc...

Pat Ziegler
Wholsale Electronics Inc.

www.weisd.com

bz

"JANA" wrote in :

By-the-way, Beckman sells replacement parts for your meter. They can also
service it for a reasonable rate.

They probably consist of bands of conductive rubber separated by bands of
insulating rubber and make connection between the circuit board and the LCD
display.

It is a bit hard to solder to glass but you need to get the voltages to the
display somehow.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
bz

Mistress wrote in
:

The 'rubbery strips' probably consist of bands of conductive rubber