bigtom

Default dead flyback?

TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to chassi
and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

bigtom

bigtom wrote:
TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to chassi
and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

i tested all the others i have here and they all read infinity.
is it possible the secondary is shorting out or is this a type of
flyback i haven't come across before.

James Sweet

"bigtom" wrote in message
TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to chassi
and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

It could be, but it's more likely something else. Do you have B+ at the HOT?

bigtom

James Sweet wrote:
"bigtom" wrote in message

TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to chassi
and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

It could be, but it's more likely something else. Do you have B+ at the HOT?

with the HOT removed, and a 40w bulb across C/gnd i get a B+ of
198v.(240v supply)
what should i look at next?

Sam Goldwasser

"James Sweet" writes:

"bigtom" wrote in message
TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to chassi
and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

It could be, but it's more likely something else. Do you have B+ at the HOT?

If you measured 2.68M ohm or lower in both directions between the anode
cap and anyplace else, the flyback is bad. The resistance should be in the
hundreds of M ohmz to infinity range.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

bigtom

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"James Sweet" writes:

"bigtom" wrote in message

TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to chassi
and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

It could be, but it's more likely something else. Do you have B+ at the HOT?

If you measured 2.68M ohm or lower in both directions between the anode
cap and anyplace else, the flyback is bad. The resistance should be in the
hundreds of M ohmz to infinity range.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

i had another look and measured the resistance both ways but now im not
getting any readings. the monitor has been inside next to the heater.
maybe temp. is affecting readings?
i did a few voltage measurements at the crt pins with the 40w lamp
across C/gnd.
G1 20v
G2 167v
G B & R 120v
HTR 7v

if its not the flyback and i have B+ then what should i look at next?

Sam Goldwasser

bigtom writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"James Sweet" writes:

"bigtom" wrote in message

TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to chassi
and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

It could be, but it's more likely something else. Do you have B+ at the HOT?

If you measured 2.68M ohm or lower in both directions between the
anode cap and anyplace else, the flyback is bad. The resistance
should be in the hundreds of M ohmz to infinity range.

i had another look and measured the resistance both ways but now im not
getting any readings. the monitor has been inside next to the heater.
maybe temp. is affecting readings?

Even if it was baking, the resistance shouldn't be less than a few hundred
M ohms, and probably not less than infinity on a typical meter.

i did a few voltage measurements at the crt pins with the 40w lamp
across C/gnd.

Do you mean HOT C to ground? Not sure what that proves other than you
have B+, which from a previous post, sounded like it might be reasonable.

G1 20v
G2 167v

This is probably low, but due to your meter loading the circuit.

G B & R 120v

If I interpret what your saying here, in cutoff.

HTR 7v

if its not the flyback and i have B+ then what should i look at next?

Did you try turning up the G2 pot to see if you can get a raster?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

bigtom

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
bigtom writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"James Sweet" writes:

"bigtom" wrote in message

[...]

i put the HOT back in and tried the G2 pot, no raster.
tried a neon globe around the flyback but it doesnt light up.
theres a fluttering sound coming from the yoke area(deflection circuit?)
G2 on the crt pin has gone up from 167v to 242v.

me

bigtom wrote in :

James Sweet wrote:
"bigtom" wrote in message

TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to
chassi and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

It could be, but it's more likely something else. Do you have B+ at
the HOT?

with the HOT removed, and a 40w bulb across C/gnd i get a B+ of
198v.(240v supply)
what should i look at next?

a telephone directory, for a qualified repair technician.

James Sweet

"me" wrote in message
bigtom wrote in :

James Sweet wrote:
"bigtom" wrote in message

TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to
chassi and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

It could be, but it's more likely something else. Do you have B+ at
the HOT?

with the HOT removed, and a 40w bulb across C/gnd i get a B+ of
198v.(240v supply)
what should i look at next?

a telephone directory, for a qualified repair technician.

What would be the point? Monitors are rarely worth paying someone to fix
anymore, better to do research and keep poking around, might learn something
useful. Seems some qualified technicians have forgotten that they too
started out not knowing how to fix things.

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 07:30:30 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"me" wrote in message
bigtom wrote in :

James Sweet wrote:
"bigtom" wrote in message

TPG 17" monitor Model TP785XE

No HV, led comes on, heater glows, HOT ok.

i tested the resistance from the flyback anode(big red wire) to
chassi and got a reading of 2.68M ohm.

is it a faulty flyback?

It could be, but it's more likely something else. Do you have B+ at
the HOT?

with the HOT removed, and a 40w bulb across C/gnd i get a B+ of
198v.(240v supply)
what should i look at next?

a telephone directory, for a qualified repair technician.

What would be the point? Monitors are rarely worth paying someone to fix
anymore, better to do research and keep poking around, might learn something
useful. Seems some qualified technicians have forgotten that they too
started out not knowing how to fix things.

I resemble that remark, and had an EET behind me, as well as some
radio/TV experience behind me, before I got into the consumer end.
There are generic problems, and there are specific problems, and only
time and experience will separate them to the point where they are
actually separate.

Tom