spongehead

Default Ideas wanted for Go-kart

I did some searching in the news groups but didnt quite find what I was
looking for. I would like a project for me and my 10 year old son,
he's quite crafty with his K'nex and legos always making some weird
contraption along with the old pc parts and vcr's. So I thought it
would be nice to move on to something larger scale, like a go kart or
something similar. I know that horizontal shaft engines are easiest to
convert and I should be able to find an old roto tiller or something
similar, but have no idea how to make a working drive train from motor
to wheels. I was thinking of making the frame out of wood and
re-inforcing with angle iron since its much easier to shape.
I was hoping that theres some diagrams or pics out there and maybe a
few helpful hints

none

On 5 Jul 2005 07:43:07 -0700, "spongehead"
wrote:

I did some searching in the news groups but didnt quite find what I was
looking for. I would like a project for me and my 10 year old son,
he's quite crafty with his K'nex and legos always making some weird
contraption along with the old pc parts and vcr's. So I thought it
would be nice to move on to something larger scale, like a go kart or
something similar. I know that horizontal shaft engines are easiest to
convert and I should be able to find an old roto tiller or something
similar, but have no idea how to make a working drive train from motor
to wheels. I was thinking of making the frame out of wood and
re-inforcing with angle iron since its much easier to shape.
I was hoping that theres some diagrams or pics out there and maybe a
few helpful hints

Most simple go karts use a simple centrifical clutch and chain
sprocket setup.
Try any small engine repair shop for the parts at a decent price.
You'll need a horizontal shaft engine, say a Briggs or a Techumseh.
A centrifical clutch and sprocket assembly to match the shaft size of
said engine, a few feet of chain and a final drive sprocket and shaft.
Also drive hubs and wheels.
I've seen some older models of riding mowers adapted for use as a
go-kart. You might look into that also.
jakdedert

wrote:

[...]

Your post tweaked my curiosity. I have no desire or plans to build a go
kart, but as a mental excercise, it started me wondering how one would build
the drive train with a *vertical* shaft engine...which are in much greater
supply these days. In fact, I'd donate one if somebody wanted to try.

One scenario would be of course, a twisted belt drive, where a twist in the
belt converted the vertical torque to horizontal.

I wonder if there are any small tractor or other purpose-built differentials
out there. They could be shifted 45 degrees to point straight up....

Probably useless speculation...I just wondered if anybody had done it.

jak

James Sweet

"spongehead" wrote in message
oups.com...
I did some searching in the news groups but didnt quite find what I was
looking for. I would like a project for me and my 10 year old son,
he's quite crafty with his K'nex and legos always making some weird
contraption along with the old pc parts and vcr's. So I thought it
would be nice to move on to something larger scale, like a go kart or
something similar. I know that horizontal shaft engines are easiest to
convert and I should be able to find an old roto tiller or something
similar, but have no idea how to make a working drive train from motor
to wheels. I was thinking of making the frame out of wood and
re-inforcing with angle iron since its much easier to shape.
I was hoping that theres some diagrams or pics out there and maybe a
few helpful hints

Most of them use a solid axel supported by ball bearings which can be
ordered from places like McMaster-Carr. Normally a sprocket is then bolted
or welded to the shaft and a chain connects that to a centrifugal clutch
mounted to the motor shaft. Simple and generally robust.

Make sure you design the steering and layout carefully so the weight is
ballanced and the cart stable, I've ridden some that flipped very easily.

James Sweet

"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:

[...]

I saw a surplus place online somewhere that had right-angle drive gearboxes
that would work, though a twisted belt would probably be the simplest.

NSM

"James Sweet" wrote in message

I saw a surplus place online somewhere that had right-angle drive

gearboxes
that would work, though a twisted belt would probably be the simplest.

You'll lose more than half the power if it's a worm drive.

NSM

"spongehead" wrote in message
oups.com...

These are some great ideas. I looked online for centifugal clutches
and they are cheap enough. I think that and a sprocket with chain is
the easiest and cheapest way to go. I have a dump nearby and theres
always lawnmowers and angle iron in there.
The hard part is getting the frame pieces and putting it together
without a welder.

Sign up for a welding class at your local tech college / high school and
make this your project.

Ken Weitzel

NSM wrote:
"spongehead" wrote in message
oups.com...

These are some great ideas. I looked online for centifugal clutches
and they are cheap enough. I think that and a sprocket with chain is
the easiest and cheapest way to go. I have a dump nearby and theres
always lawnmowers and angle iron in there.
The hard part is getting the frame pieces and putting it together
without a welder.

Sign up for a welding class at your local tech college / high school and
make this your project.

Hi...

See if you can't find one that you can talk into letting the
youngster attend in some capacity with you.

Might have to sign a terrible terrible lot of waivers; but
keep it a father/son project from start to finish. Great
bonding experience. Will make for some mighty wonderful
memories for both of you as you get long in the tooth (like
me

Might even be able to contribute a little extra for materials
and have your welding done as part of the class ?

Take care.

Ken

Jim Yanik

"spongehead" wrote in
oups.com:

These are some great ideas. I looked online for centifugal clutches
and they are cheap enough. I think that and a sprocket with chain is
the easiest and cheapest way to go. I have a dump nearby and theres
always lawnmowers and angle iron in there.
The hard part is getting the frame pieces and putting it together
without a welder.

Rent a welder or gas torch. Brazing is not that hard,either.
You can also buy angle iron at Home Depot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

spongehead

I was day dreaming today about using a vertical shaft motor. Why
wouldnt it be possible to attach a universal joint, maybe 2 - 45 degree
joints to make the horizontal shaft? The end of the shaft would have
to be stabilized but that could be fairly easy to remedy. Than attach
your chain to the axel with the sprocket and centrifugal clutch.

James Sweet

"spongehead" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was day dreaming today about using a vertical shaft motor. Why
wouldnt it be possible to attach a universal joint, maybe 2 - 45 degree
joints to make the horizontal shaft? The end of the shaft would have
to be stabilized but that could be fairly easy to remedy. Than attach
your chain to the axel with the sprocket and centrifugal clutch.

It could be done, it's just a matter of what's more lossy. 45 degrees is a
lot for a U joint, usually they're run 10-20 degrees but it could be done.

spongehead

Ive seen those heli-cal u-joints, those look expensive though. I saw
them on Texonics.com for free, but minimum purchase is 150.00. So if
you need some switches and things, get a couple free things
(http://www.texonics.com/online/Aquar...sp?Cc=COUPLING)