jakdedert

Default HP 3200m

I purchased this a couple of years ago for cheap, replaced the BIOS DIMM for
a few bucks and have been enjoying it and it's sibling (got a package deal)
for a long time. As detailed in the 'Lightning' thread, it's not working
after taking a surge through (I believe) the phone line.

I have the service manual. The error code which comes up is not detailed
within. Actually there are two codes: a '79 Service Error' which, in the
manual necessitates the replacement of the 'formatter board'. That term was
unfamiliar to me, but it appears to be the main CPU board.

The second line of the lcd reads '322 DOWNLOAD_MODEM.O' Nothing concerning
that message appears in the service manual. I've done an engine test, which
was positive; and I've swapped the memory and BIOS DIMMs from the working
unit to no avail.

Is anyone familiar with this specific model? Should I spend another $25
with HP tech support (money well spent the 1st time)?

jak

Aidan Grey

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:31:16 -0500, jakdedert wrote:

[...]

What you should do at this point is confirm if the formatter board is
damaged or not. As
this problem was caused by a lightning strike, it may well be that the
formatter board has
failed.

Using your service manual, pull the formatter board from the defective
printer, and install
it in the working printer. If the fault follows the formatter board, then
that is proof that the
formatter board is the problem.

If you confirm that the formatter board has failed, you can then decide if
you want to
replace it or not. Go to: http://partsurfer.hp.com. Look up the parts for
your model, and then
search for the formatter board assembly.

There is a good chance that a replacement board from HP will cost you more
that you
originally paid for the printer.

There are some other suppliers of HP parts. Most of them charge less than
HP. Take the
HP part number and do a Web search for it, to confirm what the lowest price
is.

Aidan Grey

nvic

Yes you should have it fixed - if you get it fixed it will probably
last a long time again. HP is very reliable when you don't expose the
products to surges. If you end up replacing this unit, buy another HP.

One Last note: install one of those six plugs with phone protection so
it won't get nuked again

jakdedert

Aidan Grey wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:31:16 -0500, jakdedert wrote:

What you should do at this point is confirm if the formatter board
is damaged or not. As
this problem was caused by a lightning strike, it may well be that the
formatter board has
failed.

Using your service manual, pull the formatter board from the
defective printer, and install
it in the working printer. If the fault follows the formatter board,
then that is proof that the
formatter board is the problem.

Thanks. I've pulled the LIU (modem) board, following the advice of someone
on the fixyourownprinter forum; but the error code remains. Preliminary
testing indicates some failed silicon on that piece. I'll do the parts swap
thing if I can pry the other printer away from my wife. She insisted that I
pull *my* fax/printer for her use until I get the other fixed or
replaced....

If you confirm that the formatter board has failed, you can then
decide if you want to
replace it or not. Go to: http://partsurfer.hp.com. Look up the
parts for your model, and then
search for the formatter board assembly.

I'll do that immediately.

There is a good chance that a replacement board from HP will cost
you more that you
originally paid for the printer.

Almost goes without saying. I paid less than $50 for this one.

There are some other suppliers of HP parts. Most of them charge
less than HP. Take the
HP part number and do a Web search for it, to confirm what the lowest
price is.

Will be worth it *if* I can obtain replacement parts for less than $50-$100.
Much more and I'll find another one, albeit probably not as good as this one
was.

Stay online...I'll keep you updated. BTW, what exactly is indicated by a
good engine test? Is the formatter board included in that? Mine tested
good, so I'm sure it's not a complete loss...if, for nothing else, spares
for the one that's still working.

jak

Aidan Grey

Aidan Grey

( Snip )

The engine test confirms that the hardware can actually write an test image
to the page. It indicates that the print laser and associated hardware is
OK.

The engine test bypasses the formatter board completely, and does not
test the formatter board at all.

The formatter board takes the incoming data, and "formats" a page in memory
according to what is received. The formatter board then writes this page to
the print engine as a raster image, one line at a time.

Most of the complexity of handling PCL and PS data is handled by the
formatter board. It is most complex circuit board in the printer, and
usually is
controlling everything else. If you can find a processor/speed specification

for your printer, then that processor will be located on the formatter board.

Aidan Grey