jakdedert

Aidan Grey wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:31:16 -0500, jakdedert wrote:

What you should do at this point is confirm if the formatter board
is damaged or not. As
this problem was caused by a lightning strike, it may well be that the
formatter board has
failed.

Using your service manual, pull the formatter board from the
defective printer, and install
it in the working printer. If the fault follows the formatter board,
then that is proof that the
formatter board is the problem.

Thanks. I've pulled the LIU (modem) board, following the advice of someone
on the fixyourownprinter forum; but the error code remains. Preliminary
testing indicates some failed silicon on that piece. I'll do the parts swap
thing if I can pry the other printer away from my wife. She insisted that I
pull *my* fax/printer for her use until I get the other fixed or
replaced....

If you confirm that the formatter board has failed, you can then
decide if you want to
replace it or not. Go to: http://partsurfer.hp.com. Look up the
parts for your model, and then
search for the formatter board assembly.

I'll do that immediately.

There is a good chance that a replacement board from HP will cost
you more that you
originally paid for the printer.

Almost goes without saying. I paid less than $50 for this one.

There are some other suppliers of HP parts. Most of them charge
less than HP. Take the
HP part number and do a Web search for it, to confirm what the lowest
price is.

Will be worth it *if* I can obtain replacement parts for less than $50-$100.
Much more and I'll find another one, albeit probably not as good as this one
was.

Stay online...I'll keep you updated. BTW, what exactly is indicated by a
good engine test? Is the formatter board included in that? Mine tested
good, so I'm sure it's not a complete loss...if, for nothing else, spares
for the one that's still working.

jak

Aidan Grey