Ron Thompson

Default Old Transistors

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614. I can't seem to find any supplier that has them
so I am presuming they are no longer manufactured. Thanks for whatever
help you can give me.

Ron Thompson

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ron Thompson wrote:
Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614. I can't seem to find any supplier that has them
so I am presuming they are no longer manufactured. Thanks for whatever
help you can give me.

Can't even find them in Towers. ;-)

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
CWatters

"Ron Thompson" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614. I can't seem to find any supplier that has them
so I am presuming they are no longer manufactured. Thanks for whatever
help you can give me.

2N5809
=====

Mil Spec
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...19500ss438.pdf
Ammendment
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...00ss438am1.pdf

The military stopped using them in 1999...
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...groupinact.pdf

The above links found here
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Programs/Mil...=MIL-PRF-19500

2N9614
======

Sure that numbers right? No hits using Google is unusual. Usually someone
wants to sell you the data!

CWatters

This site
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/service.html
has a 2N961 (no 4 on the end). No idea if that's the same part.

bryant

Ron-

The 2N5809 is a small signal plastic case low noise, hi gain transistor
typically by Motorola used for audio applications. I used these in the
early 70's with good success. As I recall, hfe is on the order of 250,
Vce about 30v. I may have one or two left.

Bryant

Ron Thompson

Colin:

Thank you for your timely response to my inquiry and for informing me of the MilSpec
website. I agree with you that maybe the code number for the other
transistor is probably incorrect; unfortunately I don't know what the correct number
is. Oh well.

In case you might be interested: Before I got your response I managed to locate a site
that contains a world of datasheets on electronic components:

http://www.chipdocs.com/

It had a list of manufacturers of the 2N5809 transistor that was in the MilSpecs. If
only the other one had the correct number then I would be "home free". But I guess you
just can't always get what you want!

Thanks again.

Ron

Ron Thompson

Bryant:

I have discovered that there are some manufacturers who still make the
2N5809 so I could still get them. But without info about the other one I
am stymied.

Thanks anyway for your response and kind offer!

Ron

CWatters

"bryant" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ron-

The 2N5809 is a small signal plastic case low noise, hi gain transistor
typically by Motorola used for audio applications. I used these in the
early 70's with good success. As I recall, hfe is on the order of 250,
Vce about 30v. I may have one or two left.

According the to the Mil spec I posted types 2N5806 to 2N5809 are "Silicon
bi-directional triode thyristor" with voltage ratings of 200-600V

NSM

"Ron Thompson" wrote in message

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614. I can't seem to find any supplier that has them
so I am presuming they are no longer manufactured. Thanks for whatever
help you can give me.

It might help if you told us why you want to know. Repairing something?
Building an old kit?

Tom MacIntyre

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:48:37 -0700, Ron Thompson
wrote:

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614. I can't seem to find any supplier that has them
so I am presuming they are no longer manufactured. Thanks for whatever
help you can give me.

Ron Thompson

Not the exact thing, but, if used wisely, may help you for one of
them.

http://nte01.nteinc.com/nte/NTExRefS...CreateDocument

Tom

Ron Thompson

Good question. I am wanting to construct an inexpensive biofeedback monitor.
I have found an original patent from 1972 for one that works on the "galvanic
skin response" principle that fits the bill. The patent number is 3648686.
The patent has long since expired so there would be no problem there. All
components mentioned are presently available except for the 2N9614
transistor. Perhaps someone may know of another plan for building a similar
device. If so let please me know!

Ron

NSM

"Ron Thompson" wrote in message

Good question. I am wanting to construct an inexpensive biofeedback

monitor.
I have found an original patent from 1972 for one that works on the

"galvanic
skin response" principle that fits the bill. The patent number is 3648686.
The patent has long since expired so there would be no problem there. All
components mentioned are presently available except for the 2N9614
transistor. Perhaps someone may know of another plan for building a

similar
device. If so let please me know!

OK.

A) Never get hung up on parts like this. You can usually substitute any
similar item you can find. If it doesn't work, you just make an adjustment.

B) "Popular Electronics" magazine has had articles on this sort of thing.
They even had one which read brain waves and analysed them. Your model is a
simple "Lie Detector". At one time I believe Radio Shack sold something
similar as a toy!

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v4n11/LieDetector.html

http://www.jasonbradbury.com/jason_b...detector_.html

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/lie.htm

If you have a schematic that you can scan, you might want to upload it
and post a link here. I, or someone else can surely determine the specs
needed for the application.

Make sure it has good resolution and please don't try to post it
directly, they don't like that. This is considered a "text only"
newsgroup.

Anyway, another reason to see the schematic is that if the intended
part was germanium some modification may be necessary to use a modern
equivalent. This would mainly be in the base bias, but if the circuit
needs a low saturation voltage, there are transistors that can do it.

In fact I'll see if I casn get the patent, you might not have to do
anything.

JURB

Asimov

"CWatters" bravely wrote to "All" (27 Jun 05 13:21:11)
--- on the heady topic of " Old Transistors"

CW From: "CWatters"
CW Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:51657 sci.electronics.misc:19871
CW sci.electronics.equipment:8120

CW "Ron Thompson" wrote in message
CW ...
Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614. I can't seem to find any supplier that has them
so I am presuming they are no longer manufactured. Thanks for whatever
help you can give me.

CW 2N5809
CW =3d=3d=3d=3d=3d

CW Mil Spec
CW http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...500/mil19500ss
CW 438.pdf Ammendment
CW http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...500/mil19500ss
CW 438am1.pdf
CW The military stopped using them in 1999...
CW http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...500/prf19500gr
CW oupinact.pdf

CW The above links found here
CW http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Programs/Mil...Doc=3dMIL-PRF-
CW 19500

CW 2N9614
CW =3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d

CW Sure that numbers right? No hits using Google is unusual. Usually
CW someone wants to sell you the data!

I think the op might have added the 2N prefix to 9614. Look under
FSC9614 or other Fairchild prefix, perhaps TCS even...

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Well I defragged my TV and went all the way back to basic cable!

James Sweet

"Ron Thompson" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614. I can't seem to find any supplier that has them
so I am presuming they are no longer manufactured. Thanks for whatever
help you can give me.

Ron Thompson

What are they used in? If you're trying to replace them, it may be easiest
to look at the circuit and guess on a suitable sub.

Ron Thompson

This message is for all who have evidenced an interest.

I made a typo in my original request. One of the transistors is 2N5089
not 2N5809. This one is available from an internet supplier. Sorry!! I
have also located an FSC9614 transistor. Thanks to Asimov for this tip.

So my question has been answered and I can proceed building the monitor.

Also, NSM mentioned that Radio Shack used to sell them. The reason I
want to build one is because the one I originally purchased from Radio
Shack has been irreparably damaged. I found the patent number in Radio
Shack's brochure which I still had. An e-mail to Radio Shack produced
the information that RS stopped manufacturing them in 1995.

Ron

NSM

"sideshow bob" wrote in message
u...

a 2n5809 is a triac, 600v or btx94

Sounds wrong for a lie detector.

Fred McKenzie

In article , Ron Thompson
wrote:

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614.

Ron-

Take another look. Could the second one be a 2N961A? I don't think the
JEDEC numbers were that high in the early 70s.

Fred

Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article , Ron Thompson
wrote:

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding

information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their

codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614.

Ron-

Take another look. Could the second one be a 2N961A? I don't think

the
JEDEC numbers were that high in the early 70s.

Fred

My old '69 Motorola Manual stops at the 2N5500 point. The 2N5809 might
be a valid number for that time period. But it's not in the Moto
manual. :-(

sofie

the 2n5809 is not a transistor but rather a hefty stud mount Triac, if my
memory serves me... around 30 or 40 Amps.
the 2n961 is an RF/IF PNP Germanium transistor, metal can TO18... I used
them in some ham radio projects in the late 60's.
..... there is no 2n9614.... check the number again.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding

information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their

codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614.

Ron-

Take another look. Could the second one be a 2N961A? I don't think

the
JEDEC numbers were that high in the early 70s.

Fred

My old '69 Motorola Manual stops at the 2N5500 point. The 2N5809 might
be a valid number for that time period. But it's not in the Moto
manual. :-(

roma

"Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\""
wrote in news:11d7f1dffdhl672
@corp.supernews.com:

wrote:

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding

information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am

specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their

codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614.

Ron-

Take another look. Could the second one be a 2N961A? I don't think

the
JEDEC numbers were that high in the early 70s.

Fred

My old '69 Motorola Manual stops at the 2N5500 point. The 2N5809

might
be a valid number for that time period. But it's not in the Moto
manual. :-(

I have the second edition of General Electric transistor manual , the
highest listed are 2N3524 , 3N86,
roma
Robby

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 05:07:51 GMT, roma wrote:

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding

information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am

specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their

codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614.

Using Yahoo (the only search engine IMHO) I found this for "2n5809"

Part Number = 2N5809
Description = Triac
Manufacturer = Various
V(DRM) Max.(V)Rep.Pk.Off Volt. = 600
I(T(RMS)) Max.(A)On-State Cur. = 25
@Temp. (°C) (Test Condition) = 80
I(TSM) Max. (A) = 200
@ t(w) (s) (Test Condition) = 16m
I(GT) Max. (A) = 120m
V(GT) Max.(V) = 4.0
I(H) Max.(A) Holding Current = 100m
I(D) Max. (A) Leakage Current = 2.0m
@Temp. (°C) (Test Condition) = 115
V(T) Max. (V) = 1.6
@I(T) (A) (Test Condition) = 35
Package = TO-208var1/4

I couldn't find anything on the other one.

Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 05:07:51 GMT, roma put finger to
keyboard and composed:

:

wrote:

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding

information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am

specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their

codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614.

NTE's cross for the 2N5809 is the NTE5547:
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/5500to5599/NTE5541.html

The 2N961/46 and 2N961 both cross to an NTE160:
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/NTE160.html

-- Franc Zabkar

John Robertson

On 2005-09-09 16:32:03 -0700, Robby said:

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 05:07:51 GMT, roma wrote:

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding
information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am

specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their
codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614.

Using Yahoo (the only search engine IMHO) I found this for "2n5809"

Part Number = 2N5809
Description = Triac
Manufacturer = Various
V(DRM) Max.(V)Rep.Pk.Off Volt. = 600

I couldn't find anything on the other one.

Neither can I find anything on a 2N9614. My data books go back to
1968...nothing in the 70's was higher than 2N6xxx that I can find.

I recommend the original poster take a closer look at that transistor
(thyristor?) with a microscope and get a better read on the part number.

He is from Canada, perhaps he can contact me directly if he is on the
west coast. I'm in Vancouver, BC.

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call

Michael Gray

wrote:

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information
about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically
interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes
a 2N5809 and 2N9614. I can't seem to find any supplier that has them
so I am presuming they are no longer manufactured. Thanks for whatever
help you can give me.

Ron Thompson

The 2N9614 is mentioned in a patent as a PNP Transistor.

United States Patent 5524894
Head movement sensor for golf practice
Issued on June 11, 1996

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5524894.html