**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Default Fridgidaire FAA087P7A3 8000 BTU window

We just got a Fridgidaire FAA087P7A3 8000 BTU window unit to cool a
garage area. It is equipped with a "dongle" type power cord which
includes some sort of arc fault detector in the event the power cord is
crushed. It appears that all the protection "works" are in the power
plug. I am contemplating a permanent installation of this unit in a wall
sleeve and wiring to a dedicated junction box.

If I remove the existing power cord / dongle. Can I wire directly to a
dedicated circuit?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Sam Goldwasser

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** writes:

We just got a Fridgidaire FAA087P7A3 8000 BTU window unit to cool a
garage area. It is equipped with a "dongle" type power cord which
includes some sort of arc fault detector in the event the power cord
is crushed. It appears that all the protection "works" are in the
power plug. I am contemplating a permanent installation of this unit
in a wall sleeve and wiring to a dedicated junction box.

If I remove the existing power cord / dongle. Can I wire directly to a
dedicated circuit?

I'd guess it's a GFCI (if you're in the USA). Not so much if the
cord is crushed as if there is electrical leakage or a short
circuit to ground in the unit itself.

Assuming this is correct, functionally you can remove it but your
warranty will be void and your fire/home owners insurance may be
at risk if something bad should happen.

So what's wrong if it plugs in?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

NSM

"**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**" wrote in message

If I remove the existing power cord / dongle. Can I wire directly to a
dedicated circuit?

IIRC the arc protection is required for bedroom outlets. You can buy a
suitable breaker to be sure and safe and add it to that line.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/320_New..._Of_Mind.shtml

"The new arc fault circuit breakers are identified in section 210-12 of the
1999 edition of the National Electric Code. Beginning January 1, 2002 they
will be required to protect branch circuits that serve residential bedrooms.
These areas of the house have been identified as the source of many
electrical arc related fires. The state of Vermont has taken a slightly more
aggressive stance. They are requiring that these new life saving circuit
breakers be used in all circuits that feed residential living areas. Their
regulation goes into effect on January 1, 2001.

These new arc fault breakers can be purchased now in every state in the USA.
These breakers are the same size as your existing traditional circuit
breakers. The new arc fault breakers cost about $25 - $50 each depending
upon manufacturer, but it is a very small price to pay for peace of mind. An
experienced electrician can install a new arc fault breaker in a matter of
minutes. It actually takes longer to remove and replace the cover to the
circuit breaker panel than it does to switch out the breaker."

NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

I'd guess it's a GFCI (if you're in the USA).

Nope. Arc protection is the new idea.

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Its a huge clunky plug that protects only the cord itself. It isn't a
GFCI, it works with some sort of sheilded conductor in the cord. If the
cord is crushed the power is shut off. In my case, I want to do away
with the cord and wire into a junction box. No cord, no possibility of
it being damaged in the garage where it is to be installed.

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

[...]

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

It makes more sense to have the arc fault detector at the panel as
opposed to being on the four foot cord from the AC unit. I would hazard
a guess that most fires are caused by someone using an extension cord to
run the AC as opposed to the cord on the AC unit itself failing.

NSM wrote:

"**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**" wrote in message
m...

[...]

James Sweet

"**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**" wrote in message
om...
Its a huge clunky plug that protects only the cord itself. It isn't a
GFCI, it works with some sort of sheilded conductor in the cord. If the
cord is crushed the power is shut off. In my case, I want to do away
with the cord and wire into a junction box. No cord, no possibility of
it being damaged in the garage where it is to be installed.

If that's the case, just go ahead and remove it, I've not yet seen a window
AC that had one of those in the first place.