**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Its a huge clunky plug that protects only the cord itself. It isn't a
GFCI, it works with some sort of sheilded conductor in the cord. If the
cord is crushed the power is shut off. In my case, I want to do away
with the cord and wire into a junction box. No cord, no possibility of
it being damaged in the garage where it is to be installed.

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** writes:

We just got a Fridgidaire FAA087P7A3 8000 BTU window unit to cool a
garage area. It is equipped with a "dongle" type power cord which
includes some sort of arc fault detector in the event the power cord
is crushed. It appears that all the protection "works" are in the
power plug. I am contemplating a permanent installation of this unit
in a wall sleeve and wiring to a dedicated junction box.

If I remove the existing power cord / dongle. Can I wire directly to a
dedicated circuit?

I'd guess it's a GFCI (if you're in the USA). Not so much if the
cord is crushed as if there is electrical leakage or a short
circuit to ground in the unit itself.

Assuming this is correct, functionally you can remove it but your
warranty will be void and your fire/home owners insurance may be
at risk if something bad should happen.

So what's wrong if it plugs in?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.