Default Cheap widescreen telly needed! Old one died.

David FitzGerald wrote:
It's an KV24LS35.
I had a guy around to look at it, said it would cost about =A3100 for
the parts and =A370 for labour, and even then there is another part
that could be broken which he would not be able to tell if it was or
not until he replaced the first one. So it would be =A3170 to see if it
worked, and possibly another =A380.
A bin job, basically.
So, now to either get an ultra cheap crapo TV, or a TFT which I will
put into the bedroom when the plasma fund matures

Don't get any cheapo set unless you wan to to go shopping again in 16
months time.
As for your sony, this set uses the LE2 chassis, the error code 11
flashes =3D transistors Q606,Q607, resistor R603(0R1) open or changed
value, and possibly capacitor C641(470UF35V). Total cost of those
components about a tenner.

6 flashes means its the line transistor.

get a DECENT tech to look at it, dont get a call out, take it in
somewhere. if repaired it will probebly long outlive any cheapo turkish
**** from the supermarket.=20

hope this helps, Ben

David FitzGerald

I was thinking of a cheapo set with the express intention of getting
something much better in a year or so's time.

Any ideas of a decent place to take it in London? I'm in N1.

David.

Richard Colton

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

David FitzGerald wrote:
It's an KV24LS35.
I had a guy around to look at it, said it would cost about £100 for
the parts and £70 for labour, and even then there is another part
that could be broken which he would not be able to tell if it was or
not until he replaced the first one. So it would be £170 to see if it
worked, and possibly another £80.
A bin job, basically.
So, now to either get an ultra cheap crapo TV, or a TFT which I will
put into the bedroom when the plasma fund matures

Don't get any cheapo set unless you wan to to go shopping again in 16
months time.

Here we go with the crap advice again! Go and look up The Sale Of Goods Act
(visiting RETRA's website would be a good idea as well) and you'll soon see
why any TV should last considerably longer than sixteen months, and the
legal remedies you have should it not do so.

get a DECENT tech to look at it, dont get a call out, take it in
somewhere.

Now that IS good advice.

if repaired it will probebly long outlive any cheapo turkish
**** from the supermarket.

"Probably"? If the "decent" tech comes back with a figure over £100 I'd
still go for one of the cheapie sets in the knowledge that if it goes wrong
within the next four years or so I'd have some comeback - something you
"probably" won't get with a repair.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk

Richard Colton wrote:
"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

David FitzGerald wrote:
[...]

If we're talking "crap advice" here, then it's your standard line
:spouting off about the SOGA , taking people to court etc etc. which
all sounds fine in theory but in practise entails complications,
expense and time. Change the record! All of that could be saved in the
first place through careful buying to reduce the chances of your having
to pursue such a legal avenue.

And, to get back to the original issue: not attempting to repair a half
decent TV ( which for all we know *could* be a question of replacing a
few off-the-shelf components of little cost), and instead condemning it
to the landfill, is not only environmentally unsustainable, it is
downright stupid. =20
=20
-B.

Lordy.UK

Don't get any cheapo set unless you wan to to go shopping again
in 16 months time.

Oh look, bull****.
How quaint !

--
Lordy.UK

cupra

Lordy.UK wrote:
Don't get any cheapo set unless you wan to to go shopping again
in 16 months time.

Oh look, bull****.
How quaint !

I always quote my anecdote of my decade old (or more) Beko I've got that's
still running strong!

Richard Colton

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...
Richard Colton wrote:
"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

David FitzGerald wrote:
[...]

Which you always manage to neglect. If you choose not to exercise your
rights, or even acknowledge their existance, then that's your prerogative -
but they do exist.

taking people to court etc etc. which
all sounds fine in theory but in practise entails complications,
expense and time.

It usually doesn't involve taking anyone to Court, but that option is there
should it be required.

Change the record!

Why? You and a small handful of other posters seem to believe that all
budget TV's absolutely WILL break down just out of the twelve month
manufacturer warranty:-

1. The vast majority last significantly longer than that.
2. Even if you're unlucky enough to get one that expire prematurely, you DO
have legal recourse.

All of that could be saved in the
first place through careful buying to reduce the chances of your having
to pursue such a legal avenue.

Don't talk absolute drivel. Any TV from any manufacturer can expire due to
a fault at any time. Your rights are almost identical regardless of how
much you've paid for the set in the first place. I'll agree that *some*
higher end sets are built to higher standards and *possibly* may last longer
than a cheapo supermarket special. But, if ALL (or even most) of the cheap
sets expired within sixteen months, you'd find that no-one would sell them
due to the hassle from irate customers. You have to balance cost against
performance - cheap sets generally are weak in the sound department with a
tinny sound when compared to say a Panasonic, and their picture quality
isn't always quite as good, but there most definately is a market for them
(and a big market at that).

And, to get back to the original issue: not attempting to repair a half
decent TV ( which for all we know *could* be a question of replacing a
few off-the-shelf components of little cost), and instead condemning it
to the landfill, is not only environmentally unsustainable, it is
downright stupid.

I agree unless the repair doesn't make economical sense.

You're operating on a large set of assumptions and suppositions. I'm just
trying to point out that there are other options and legal recourse if
necessary.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk
www.thephonelocker.co.uk
www.gsm-solutions.co.uk

Alex Butcher

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:31:11 -0700, b wrote:

And, to get back to the original issue: not attempting to repair a half
decent TV ( which for all we know *could* be a question of replacing a few
off-the-shelf components of little cost), and instead condemning it to the
landfill, is not only environmentally unsustainable, it is downright
stupid.

Agreed; I repaired a Ferguson/Thomson VCR for about an hour of my time and
just over 3GBP worth of capacitors from Maplin.

I wouldn't recommend that a novice go meddling in the insides of TVs or
power supplies (there are some very high voltages present that can persist
even some time after being disconnected from the mains!) but based on the
information you gave David in your earlier post, he should be able to find
a competetent engineer to blindly replace the parts you specified for
30GBP or so, including labour. If it doesn't work out, you're only down
30GBP. If it does, you've just "bought" a Sony widescreen TV for 30GBP.
Bargain.

-B.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

David FitzGerald

Richard Colton wrote:
"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

get a DECENT tech to look at it, dont get a call out, take it in
somewhere.

Now that IS good advice.

If only I knew of one... without a reccomendation, how does one know
who is good or not? The guy I had over (=A320) seemed to know his stuff
and reckons it is uneconomical to repair.

Turns out I ought to be covered on my household insurance, though.
Still, I'd lov to get it repaired - but by whom?

D=2E

David FitzGerald wrote:
Richard Colton wrote:
"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

get a DECENT tech to look at it, dont get a call out, take it in
somewhere.

Now that IS good advice.

If only I knew of one... without a reccomendation, how does one know
who is good or not? The guy I had over (=A320) seemed to know his stuff
and reckons it is uneconomical to repair.

Turns out I ought to be covered on my household insurance, though.
Still, I'd lov to get it repaired - but by whom?

D.

David, thought this might interest you, (tho' bear in mind most those
in the thread are from the US or Oz) -B.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...wse_frm/threa=
d/df2dc98f85c6f711/eb11a6d7e9dadf50?q=3Dtechnicians&rnum=3D4&hl=3Den# eb11a6=
d7e9dadf50

Belzie

Hi There

There is a guy in Stratford East London does fixed price TV repairs.....
for my 32inch sony it was £45.....could be cheaper for 28inch. I
definately recomend him fixed in 1 day excellent service. I can't find
phone no but address is 89 Leyton rd stratford.

b wrote:

David FitzGerald wrote:

It's an KV24LS35.
I had a guy around to look at it, said it would cost about £100 for
the parts and £70 for labour, and even then there is another part
that could be broken which he would not be able to tell if it was or
not until he replaced the first one. So it would be £170 to see if it
worked, and possibly another £80.
A bin job, basically.
So, now to either get an ultra cheap crapo TV, or a TFT which I will
put into the bedroom when the plasma fund matures

Don't get any cheapo set unless you wan to to go shopping again in 16
months time.
As for your sony, this set uses the LE2 chassis, the error code 11
flashes = transistors Q606,Q607, resistor R603(0R1) open or changed
value, and possibly capacitor C641(470UF35V). Total cost of those
components about a tenner.

6 flashes means its the line transistor.

get a DECENT tech to look at it, dont get a call out, take it in
somewhere. if repaired it will probebly long outlive any cheapo turkish
**** from the supermarket.

hope this helps, Ben

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:50:23 GMT, "Richard Colton"
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

"b" wrote in message
roups.com...

David FitzGerald wrote:
It's an KV24LS35.
I had a guy around to look at it, said it would cost about £100 for
the parts and £70 for labour, and even then there is another part
that could be broken which he would not be able to tell if it was or
not until he replaced the first one. So it would be £170 to see if it
worked, and possibly another £80.
A bin job, basically.
So, now to either get an ultra cheap crapo TV, or a TFT which I will
put into the bedroom when the plasma fund matures

Don't get any cheapo set unless you wan to to go shopping again in 16
months time.

Here we go with the crap advice again! Go and look up The Sale Of Goods Act
(visiting RETRA's website would be a good idea as well) and you'll soon see
why any TV should last considerably longer than sixteen months, and the
legal remedies you have should it not do so.

Here in Australia we also have legal remedies which we can exercise
for trivial cost with the ACCC (consumer affairs). Even though the
manufacturer/distributor may only offer a 1yr warranty on a TV, there
is an implied expectation of merchantability far in excess of that.

- Franc Zabkar

cheap water tank needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 10th 05 12:22 PM
Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 12:17 AM
A new low in cheap tools? Mickey Feldman Metalworking 35 February 15th 04 03:37 AM
OT-California In revolt PrecisionMachinist Metalworking 104 August 5th 03 11:15 PM