Franc Zabkar

Default Chinglish

Here are some excerpts from the instruction manual for a Legend LSD2
digital set top box.

PREPARATION OF REMOTE CONTROLLER

Load the batteries to the groove of the remote controller and then
enable you to operate the native

OPERATION SCOPE OF THE REMOTE CONTROLLER

Make the controller toward the inductive window of native and then
press the keys

1. Distance: about seven meters in front of the inductive window
2. Angle: about 30 degree right or left refer to the frontispiece of
the native's front panel

The serial data interface is used to update the software version and
enrich the database of this device

Do not tie the antenna signal cable (line) with power line in order to
avoid causing the watching effect be affected

USEFUL PROMPT

To prolong the useful life of this machine, the interval of the
continuous switch action must be above one minute

The parameter of using power source should be squared with which
indicated on the rear panel, or the machine will work improperly and
even be ruined

When the picture the unexpected nonresponse happening, please turn on
the machine again

NOTE: Any changes will not be noticed in advance. Our company reserves
the rights for the explanation of the discrepancy

- Franc Zabkar
Rheilly Phoull

One day Franc Zabkar got dressed and committed to text

[...]

Hey Frank,
The whole western world is full of those sorta manuals. I reckon there are a
few chinamen out there laughing their ass's off at us :-)

--
Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Heywood Jablome

Hey Frank,
The whole western world is full of those sorta manuals. I reckon there are

few chinamen out there laughing their ass's off at us :-)

Vice versa. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother.

David Sauer

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:16:04 +1000, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

Here are some excerpts from the instruction manual for a Legend LSD2
digital set top box.

What! Real men throw out the manual without even glancing at it.

Rick

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message ...
Here are some excerpts from the instruction manual for a Legend LSD2
digital set top box.

NOTE: Our company reserves the rights for the explanation
of the discrepancy

Thanks, I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard.

Classic, even as Chinglish goes.

JANA

How would it be for someone from over here in the western world to write a
manual in Chinese or Japanese?

I am sure it would be full of these types of errors, but in to their
direction. You have to give credit to these people, that they came very far
in the last number of years. As for their engineering, and skills to be able
to developed the mass manufacturing at a very low cost, this alone was a
great accomplishment. I realize that they had a lot of help from the R&D
technology companies from the western world, but they still did a great
accomplishment, considering their historic background.

--

JANA
_____

[...]

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article ,
ks (Craig Hart) says...

Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post on Usenet
newsgroups! Follow this link for the reason why...

http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
Here are some excerpts from the instruction manual for a Legend LSD2
digital set top box.

PREPARATION OF REMOTE CONTROLLER

Load the batteries to the groove of the remote controller and then
enable you to operate the native

snippety-one

Now, if you found a chinese made product with a clear, concise, accurate and
syntactically correct manual, now THAT would by newsworthy! :-)

Heck... These days, I have trouble finding that kind of manual
quality with lots of equipment, including that made in the USA! ;-)

If only other manufacturers had learned from the example set by
the early (prior to the late 80's) Tektronix and GE mobile radio
manuals...

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Bazil

JANA wrote:
How would it be for someone from over here in the western world to write a
manual in Chinese or Japanese?

I am sure it would be full of these types of errors, but in to their
direction. You have to give credit to these people, that they came very far
in the last number of years. As for their engineering, and skills to be able
to developed the mass manufacturing at a very low cost, this alone was a
great accomplishment. I realize that they had a lot of help from the R&D
technology companies from the western world, but they still did a great
accomplishment, considering their historic background.

Rubbish.

They are built of the same stuff, same grey matter. If anything they
pump out a higher percentage of engineers etc. They have been chaffing
at the bit for ages to jump on the industrial bandwagon.

If we had a requirement to produce a manual in Chinese or Japanese or
any other language for that matter, we would get a translator who can
speak the other lingo correctly.

I don't know if its pride or just an assumption that their high school
english cuts it, that they continue to produce their manuals without
getting them proof read, but either way, their manuals suck.

Bryan

Franc Zabkar wrote:
Here are some excerpts from the instruction manual for a Legend LSD2
digital set top box.

snip)

try www.engrish.com !!! some real classics there.

Ben

hsh

"Rheilly Phoull" wrote in message

One day Franc Zabkar got dressed and committed to text

Hey Frank,
The whole western world is full of those sorta manuals. I reckon there are

few chinamen out there laughing their ass's off at us :-)

Please improve your English or mentality before posting here. Thanks!

Wing Fong Wong

In aus.electronics Bazil wrote:
If we had a requirement to produce a manual in Chinese or Japanese or
any other language for that matter, we would get a translator who can
speak the other lingo correctly.

The hardest part of this is finding someonw not only knows the language
well but have a good under standing of the product, or is willing to learn
about your product.

I don't know if its pride or just an assumption that their high school
english cuts it, that they continue to produce their manuals without
getting them proof read, but either way, their manuals suck.

Bryan

Most of the people who does these trnslations are armed little more that
and a dictionary.

I've done some translation myself, both from English to Chinese and the
otherway round. I've experieced how hard it is sometimes to come up with
that perfect phrase. It is oftern difficult to get someone to proof read
it since
1. you are probably the only that able to translate into target
language
2. even if you're not, there is probably no one more capable.,

In my opinion, he only way to get good quality translation is to hire a
full time manual writer in the target language who is to learn your
product inside out. you can only guarantee high quality manuals if it is
written from the propective of the users from the target language.

Some instructions just doesn't translate well across cultures.

Thats all I've got for now.

PS. I anyone has translation consignment(especially for document in the EE
field) I'd like to rack up some practice.
I can do Chinese to English. I can go the other way, but I'm not as
eloquent. It'll be functional but not all that pretty. I'll be trying for
my NAATI level 3 later this year, it be nice to get some practice under
the belt.

--

Wing Wong.
NSM

"Heywood Jablome" reply to thread wrote in message
u...
Hey Frank,
The whole western world is full of those sorta manuals. I reckon there

are
few chinamen out there laughing their ass's off at us :-)

Vice versa. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother.

How are your Mandarin or Cantonese?

Rick

"Wing Fong Wong" wrote in message ...
In aus.electronics Bazil wrote:
If we had a requirement to produce a manual in Chinese or Japanese or
any other language for that matter, we would get a translator who can
speak the other lingo correctly.

The hardest part of this is finding someonw not only knows the language
well but have a good under standing of the product, or is willing to learn
about your product.

Absolute nonsense. The simple fact is, the Chinese can't
be bothered. E.g. Silicon valley, which is now nearly 50%
immigrant Asian and which has been decimated by the
'dot com collapse' is chock full of companies who write
decent English manuals, and chock full of people who're
desperate for gainful employment of any kind.

It's greed and sheer laziness on the part of Asian (mostly
Chinese) manufacturers. Nothing else.

NSM

"Rick" wrote in message
link.net...

Absolute nonsense. The simple fact is, the Chinese can't
be bothered. E.g. Silicon valley, which is now nearly 50%
immigrant Asian and which has been decimated by the
'dot com collapse' is chock full of companies who write
decent English manuals, and chock full of people who're
desperate for gainful employment of any kind.

It's greed and sheer laziness on the part of Asian (mostly
Chinese) manufacturers. Nothing else.

Or proof that Chinese are capable of bull**** like everyone else, "Yes, I
spoke prefect Engrish"!

Parmin

"Rick" while reading the NewsGroups, found
courage and express out opinion in
link.net:

It's greed and sheer laziness on the part of Asian (mostly
Chinese) manufacturers. Nothing else.

For the price you are paying, you should be grateful that a manual
is supplied at all.

If you are willing to purchase the item at lower rate, you should
be willing to receive less than perfect service.

If you think that they are getting too much for their effort, then
prove them otherwise. Produce the same product, sell them at the
same price and give the properly written english instruction.
See if you will last in the market place or gone bankrupt before
your first batch sold out.

English is a language that's evolving. It gets parts from German,
french , scott, welsh, spanish, etc. Now it will get Chinese.
So live with it, you plick!

Par.

Wing Fong Wong

In aus.electronics Rick wrote:
"Wing Fong Wong" wrote in message ...
The hardest part of this is finding someonw not only knows the language
well but have a good under standing of the product, or is willing to learn
about your product.

Absolute nonsense. The simple fact is, the Chinese can't
be bothered. E.g. Silicon valley, which is now nearly 50%
immigrant Asian and which has been decimated by the
'dot com collapse' is chock full of companies who write
decent English manuals, and chock full of people who're
desperate for gainful employment of any kind.

Well, it shouldn't be hard for english speakers to write decent manuals in
English.

It's greed and sheer laziness on the part of Asian (mostly
Chinese) manufacturers. Nothing else.

I did actually mean that, perhaps I should've added "can't find someone
like that, for the price they are willing to pay".

--

Wing Wong.
Ken Taylor

[...]

And naturally you would pay more to buy the same product with a manual in
what you consider to be good English?

Ken

Kissing Lettuce

Franc Zabkar wrote:

SNIP

NOTE: Any changes will not be noticed in advance. Our company reserves
the rights for the explanation of the discrepancy

That's a classic ROFL

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:49:06 -0400, "JANA" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

How would it be for someone from over here in the western world to write a
manual in Chinese or Japanese?

I'd spend a little cash and hire a professional, or at least someone
who is a fluent native speaker. I wouldn't trash the reputation of my
business by producing incomprehensible documentation.

I am sure it would be full of these types of errors, but in to their
direction. You have to give credit to these people, that they came very far
in the last number of years. As for their engineering, and skills to be able
to developed the mass manufacturing at a very low cost, this alone was a
great accomplishment. I realize that they had a lot of help from the R&D
technology companies from the western world, but they still did a great
accomplishment, considering their historic background.

None of this was ever in question.

BTW, I am not monolingual, but I wouldn't dream of attempting to write
a technical document in my mother tongue. If I did, I have no doubt it
would be full of clangers.

- Franc Zabkar
Franc Zabkar

On 2 Jun 2005 09:11:22 +1000, Parmin put
finger to keyboard and composed:

"Rick" while reading the NewsGroups, found
courage and express out opinion in
hlink.net:

It's greed and sheer laziness on the part of Asian (mostly
Chinese) manufacturers. Nothing else.

For the price you are paying, you should be grateful that a manual
is supplied at all.

Last year I paid AU$2000 for a treadmill and got one lousy scrap of
photocopied paper ... with instructions for a different machine.

I have a bench drill with the word "MACHWERY" on the name plate, ie
the IN has become a W, probably because of bad handwriting. The
manufacturer couldn't be bothered to get his own name right.

- Franc Zabkar
Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 00:35:03 +0000 (UTC), Wing Fong Wong
[...]

There is no need to find someone to *write* the manual, only to *proof
read* it. The labour cost for the former would be low, as it would be
done within the PRC.

- Franc Zabkar
Rick

"Parmin" wrote in message ...
"Rick" while reading the NewsGroups, found
courage and express out opinion in
link.net:

It's greed and sheer laziness on the part of Asian (mostly
Chinese) manufacturers. Nothing else.

For the price you are paying, you should be grateful that a manual
is supplied at all.

If you are willing to purchase the item at lower rate, you should
be willing to receive less than perfect service.

Relative to total design, manufacturing and marketing costs,
the cost to proofread a manual is infinitesimal.

Like I said, it's sheer laziness. Nothing else.

Heywood Jablome

How are your Mandarin or Cantonese?

Not good enough to write manuals......so I don't.

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:49:27 GMT, "Craig Hart" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Now, if you found a chinese made product with a clear, concise, accurate and
syntactically correct manual, now THAT would by newsworthy! :-)

The manual does not appear to have any spelling errors. Does that rate
a mention?

- Franc Zabkar
NSM

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:49:27 GMT, "Craig Hart" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Now, if you found a chinese made product with a clear, concise, accurate

and
syntactically correct manual, now THAT would by newsworthy! :-)

The manual does not appear to have any spelling errors. Does that rate
a mention?

God bless the Microsoft spell checker?

Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:09:57 GMT, "NSM" put finger to
keyboard and composed:

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:49:27 GMT, "Craig Hart" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Now, if you found a chinese made product with a clear, concise, accurate

and
syntactically correct manual, now THAT would by newsworthy! :-)

The manual does not appear to have any spelling errors. Does that rate
a mention?

God bless the Microsoft spell checker?

Babelfish doesn't need a spell checker. ;-)

- Franc Zabkar