Nitroflea

Default Sony CCD-V8AF-E Project

Hi,

I have an old Sony Video 8 AF camcorder (CCD-V8AF-E) and I've been
trying to figure out the layout of the 22-pin connector that is
supposed to come with the camera. I received the camera from somebody
else and didn't get much with it.
There is an adaptor that sony shipped with this camcorder and a few
others. The RFU-80UC which has a 22-pin Type 'D' connector that plugs
into the underside of the camera and provides RCA video in and out
capability.

I've searched far and wide for a schematic of these pins but come up
with nothing.
So, I decided to try figure them out manually. The problem is that I
think this adaptor could also provide power to the camera so I don't
want to damage anthing by crossing the wrong pins (I already blew the
fuse yesterday). And somebody blew the fuse in my multimeter as well
so I was left guessing.

Does anybody have experience with this old camcorder (from 1984 I
believe) that could give me some insight?
I will post some links to images of the camera and the adaptor if that
will help jog the memory.

Another thing I wanted to try was seperating the camera module form
the vcr module. Opening the casing up shows that these are actually
two nice seperate modules. The only thing is that there a couple
cables connecting various things. I was going to buy a service manual
I found online but thought to ask if anybody has one or could point me
to a free copy.

I would like to get the camera module to just output the video, then I
can send the video feed straight to a capture card in a pc I've set
up.
Can anybody help me with any pointers?

I'd like to keep this thread going as a 'project' of sorts and ask
that anybody with knowledge of the various sony video hardware
components would please post their views and ideas.

Thanks.

Nitroflea

http://home.telkomsa.net/flipflop/ph...amera/72_3.JPG

Here is an image showing the complete package that comes with the
camera.
If you look at the center of the image, between the batteris, tapes,
and camera, there is an black box with to yellow RCA plugs. That is
the RFU-85 adaptor.

Nitroflea

I just learnt that the different adaptors came with the different
models.

An RFU-85 and RFU-86 also exists that have similar functions.

Nitroflea

Wow, I love talking to myself. :P

Made some progress: Bought a service manual for this camera and it has
LOTS of good info.

So if anybody else wants to know the 24-pin layout here it is:

1 - MAIN 6V
2 - GND (MAIN 6v)
3 - BATT CHARGE
4 - DC OUT
5 - NOTHING
6 - SERIAL CONT
7 - NOTHING
8 - POWER ON
9 - NOTHING
10 - VIDEO IN
11- NOTHING
12 - GND (VIDEO IN)
13 - NOTHING
14 - VIDEO OUT
15 - GND (AU LR OUT)
16 - GND (VIDEO OUT)
17 - AUDIO L OUT
18 - AUDIO (MONO) OUT
19 - AUDIO R OUT
20 - AU (MONO) GND
21 - GND (AU LR IN)
22 - AU (MONO) IN
23 - AUDIO L IN
24 - AUDIO R IN

Pin numbering starts in the corner with the two indentations.
If the camera is standing on it rubber feet with the tape deck facing
upwards, pin 1 is in the bottom right corner, pin 2 is the one above
that, pin 3 to the left of pin 1, etc.

I managed to put together a bit of a connector and got the VIDEO OUT
to work. 8)

Now, all I need to do is get the power to work 'cause my battery is
shot.
My problem is that I can't get the camera to power on. I don't quite
get how that power pin is supposed to work. Had a look at the serivce
manual and it shows that pin is simply hooked up to the other power
switches so how does that work? Am I just supposed to link that power
pin to ground or send a voltage down there or what? :?:

St.Ives

Nitroflea

I saw your post as a result of a google search I was doing about my
own Sony. I am also looking for a RFU-80UC multi connector.

Your info has been most helpful.

I have'nt found the rfu yet :cry: