Hi Ho Silver

Default Faithful Old Curtis Mathes Stopped Playing

My Curtis Mathes console set failed recently with no sound, no picture.
Would like to get it repaired, would pay $200 for the repair, not sure it
can be done for that. It is a nice console set which I bought new in 1985
(sentimental value).
Can you advise?

Here is the data:

Curtis Mathes console - manufactured May 1985.
Model No. K2650RC
Chassis No. C87-3
Serial No. 05407371

Symptoms:

1. No picture, no sound; both failed at same instant.
2. There is a separate (not on-screen) clock/channel number display; this
display is lit and can be set with usual controls. Obviously the set is
getting power.
3. Power off/on still has the normal audible 'click' at back of set.
4. Set has video/audio in jacks at back: also no picture & no sound with
external DVD in (set has video/TV switch on front panel).
5. Remote still works (to change channel number).

Other info:

1. I removed back cover and see two fuses; both look ok (i.e., fuse
element looks straight and normal).
2. Fuse i.d.'s on circuit board:

- F01 125 V 1.25 amp
- F601 125 V 4 amp

Cobalt

Bad Flyback transformer maybe?

"Hi Ho Silver" wrote in message
ink.net...
| My Curtis Mathes console set failed recently with no sound, no picture.
| Would like to get it repaired, would pay $200 for the repair, not sure it
| can be done for that. It is a nice console set which I bought new in 1985
| (sentimental value).
| Can you advise?
|
| Here is the data:
|
| Curtis Mathes console - manufactured May 1985.
| Model No. K2650RC
| Chassis No. C87-3
| Serial No. 05407371
|
| Symptoms:
|
| 1. No picture, no sound; both failed at same instant.
| 2. There is a separate (not on-screen) clock/channel number display;
this
| display is lit and can be set with usual controls. Obviously the set is
| getting power.
| 3. Power off/on still has the normal audible 'click' at back of set.
| 4. Set has video/audio in jacks at back: also no picture & no sound
with
| external DVD in (set has video/TV switch on front panel).
| 5. Remote still works (to change channel number).
|
| Other info:
|
| 1. I removed back cover and see two fuses; both look ok (i.e., fuse
| element looks straight and normal).
| 2. Fuse i.d.'s on circuit board:
|
| - F01 125 V 1.25 amp
| - F601 125 V 4 amp

Chuck

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:26:07 GMT, "Hi Ho Silver"
wrote:

[...]

Broken solder connections and faulty electrolytic capacitors in the
power supply. ( Usually easy to spot with an esr meter) Flyback
failure is fairly common. This is an nec chassis which might help you
find a flyback. I haven't found any since MCM dropped them. Chuck

RonKZ650

I think the C87 was about the last of the CMs built by NEC. They were
pretty decent sets, but no Sams coverage could make them tough to fix.
It's been a few years, but I think this was one of the models the
electolytic capacitor off the driver transformer would open and cause
the horiz output to short. Flybacks were also sometimes bad. Ought to
be able to fix for under $200 for sure I'd think.

Hi Ho Silver

Thanks to all for your advice. Now to find someone locally (Houston) who
might have the savvy to fix me up.

--
John Hanley

To send return email: