Art

Probably built by NEC for Curtis Mathes, therefore many of the parts may no
longer be available, due to NEC leaving the tele business and the age of the
set.
"Chuck" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:26:07 GMT, "Hi Ho Silver"
wrote:

My Curtis Mathes console set failed recently with no sound, no picture.
Would like to get it repaired, would pay $200 for the repair, not sure it
can be done for that. It is a nice console set which I bought new in 1985
(sentimental value).
Can you advise?

Here is the data:

Curtis Mathes console - manufactured May 1985.
Model No. K2650RC
Chassis No. C87-3
Serial No. 05407371

Symptoms:

1. No picture, no sound; both failed at same instant.
2. There is a separate (not on-screen) clock/channel number display;
this
display is lit and can be set with usual controls. Obviously the set is
getting power.
3. Power off/on still has the normal audible 'click' at back of set.
4. Set has video/audio in jacks at back: also no picture & no sound
with
external DVD in (set has video/TV switch on front panel).
5. Remote still works (to change channel number).

Other info:

1. I removed back cover and see two fuses; both look ok (i.e., fuse
element looks straight and normal).
2. Fuse i.d.'s on circuit board:

- F01 125 V 1.25 amp
- F601 125 V 4 amp

Broken solder connections and faulty electrolytic capacitors in the
power supply. ( Usually easy to spot with an esr meter) Flyback
failure is fairly common. This is an nec chassis which might help you
find a flyback. I haven't found any since MCM dropped them. Chuck