Junior Member

Default GE Washing Machine Transmission Seal

I hope this is the right forum section. Let me know if not.

I have an 11-year-old GE washer. WWA8829RBLWW (in case you were wondering!). I have had the transmission replaced once under warranty. Now it appears that it may need to be replaced again. Oil leaking out from under machine. I was wondering if I need to replace the entire tranny, or, can I just do the seals?

Thanks.
James Sweet

"xmellman" wrote in message

I hope this is the right forum section. Let me know if not.

I have an 11-year-old GE washer. WWA8829RBLWW (in case you were
wondering!). I have had the transmission replaced once under warranty.
Now it appears that it may need to be replaced again. Oil leaking out
from under machine. I was wondering if I need to replace the entire
tranny, or, can I just do the seals?

Thanks.

Call up a local appliance shop and see if they have the seal. You could also
look online, I get my parts from http://www.repairclinic.com/, they have a
pretty good search tool.

Before you buy parts though, make sure you track down just where the leak is
coming from, you might be able to just tighten something up or push the seal
back into place.

none

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:37:02 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"xmellman" wrote in message

I hope this is the right forum section. Let me know if not.

I have an 11-year-old GE washer. WWA8829RBLWW (in case you were
wondering!). I have had the transmission replaced once under warranty.
Now it appears that it may need to be replaced again. Oil leaking out
from under machine. I was wondering if I need to replace the entire
tranny, or, can I just do the seals?

Thanks.

Call up a local appliance shop and see if they have the seal. You could also
look online, I get my parts from http://www.repairclinic.com/, they have a
pretty good search tool.

Before you buy parts though, make sure you track down just where the leak is
coming from, you might be able to just tighten something up or push the seal
back into place.

I've noticed on some of the late model GE's that they use a pretty
cheap seal and it can go out quite regularly.

Try looking for a schematic over at GE's website and see what type of
seal it has. The older models used a seal very similar to an
automotive engine seal. the later a flat washer type seal made of
organic material. (Cork with some sort of rubber.)
If you've got the cheap seal it would be wise to stock up as they tend
to leak after just a couple of years on average.