mrhuntnpeck

Default can this monitor be repaired?

it is a 19 inch KDS monitor.

the sides of the screen shrink about an inch, it stays like that a few
minutes, and goes back to normal.

any idea if this just needs horizantal hold adjustment , or some new
capacitors perhaps? is it worth it to try to fix it?

Phil

mrhuntnpeck wrote:
it is a 19 inch KDS monitor.

the sides of the screen shrink about an inch, it stays like that a

few
minutes, and goes back to normal.

any idea if this just needs horizantal hold adjustment , or some new
capacitors perhaps? is it worth it to try to fix it?
Phil

check for bad soldering first, start in the vicinity of the e-w circuit

JANA

A common cause are high ESR caps, and also the possibility of a cold solder
connection. Bad caps are the most common cause of your description.

If you can have an ESR meter to check the caps, this is the best approach.
If you can fix this monitor for a few dollars worth of parts, it would be
worth it. Sending the monitor out for service would not be economically
feasible for this type of monitor, because of the labour costs.

--

JANA
_____

"mrhuntnpeck" wrote in message
it is a 19 inch KDS monitor.

the sides of the screen shrink about an inch, it stays like that a few
minutes, and goes back to normal.

any idea if this just needs horizantal hold adjustment , or some new
capacitors perhaps? is it worth it to try to fix it?

Phil

mrhuntnpeck

Thanks Very much for the assistance JANA,

I fix 30's and 40's tube radios as a hobby, well, hobby gone wild
So I am pretty well useless with IC electronics, but not frightened by
replacing or substituting caps, and re-wetting the solder joints. I
will try this , but perhaps I should wait till it starts to happen
more often so I can see right away when if I nail the problem down.

I wish I has one of those ESR meters. I really should, most of the
stuff I work on is 50 to 70 years old so I use the shotgun approach
more often than not. I have a heathkit checker with an eye tube.

...I didn't understand the reverend's acronym.... the e-w circut ,
that went over my head.

Phil