Default Monitor hisses with power off

When this "future power" (name just reeks quality eh?) 17" monitor is
plugged in but not turned on it hisses. When it is powered on the hissing
stops and it displays fine. More of an annoyance to my dad (whos monitor it
is) but I figured if someone knew why i could take measures to correct it.
I was suspecting the noise filter (ironic if so for a noise filter to
actually make noise rather than just block em but hey..) The large filter
cap as well as the other caps read good in the power supply side of things.

thanks!

Buck Frobisher

"S" wrote in message
When this "future power" (name just reeks quality eh?) 17" monitor is
plugged in but not turned on it hisses. When it is powered on the hissing
stops and it displays fine. More of an annoyance to my dad (whos monitor
it
is) but I figured if someone knew why i could take measures to correct it.
I was suspecting the noise filter (ironic if so for a noise filter to
actually make noise rather than just block em but hey..) The large filter
cap as well as the other caps read good in the power supply side of
things.

thanks!

First thing: check for a tire losing air. (sorry, couldn't resist)

You don't say if it is a CRT or not, but if it is, could this be the tube
itself losing vacuum? Just a wild guess...

I swapped the ac filter and replaced a really burnt looking mosfet (630) but
she still hisses--the hissing changes volume as you wiggle the ac filter
(which is why i suspected it in the first place) maybe its one of those
power regulator caps on either side or the coil immediately in
behind...don't really know.

and yes its a crt and all inflatable objects have been moved from the room
\

"S" wrote in message
When this "future power" (name just reeks quality eh?) 17" monitor is
plugged in but not turned on it hisses. When it is powered on the hissing
stops and it displays fine. More of an annoyance to my dad (whos monitor

it
is) but I figured if someone knew why i could take measures to correct it.
I was suspecting the noise filter (ironic if so for a noise filter to
actually make noise rather than just block em but hey..) The large filter
cap as well as the other caps read good in the power supply side of

things.

thanks!

Jumpster Jiver

You don't say if it is a CRT or not, but if it is, could this be the tube
itself losing vacuum? Just a wild guess...

Are you serious?

James Sweet

"Buck Frobisher" wrote in message
.. .
"S" wrote in message
[...]

No if the tube were losing vacuum enough to make a hiss it would cease
functioning in a fraction of a second.

More likely the inductor or transformer in the monitor's power supply has a
loose core.

James Sweet

"S" wrote in message
I swapped the ac filter and replaced a really burnt looking mosfet (630)

but
she still hisses--the hissing changes volume as you wiggle the ac filter
(which is why i suspected it in the first place) maybe its one of those
power regulator caps on either side or the coil immediately in
behind...don't really know.

A capacitor won't hiss. Sounds like something is resonating, replacing the
filter is probably the easiest, or you could try to open it up and shoot
some clear silicone caulk in there.

"S" wrote in message
[...]

If this was the case would the hissing stop as it is powered on? I'm by far
no expert, just some guy trying to learn a thing or two..

James Sweet

If this was the case would the hissing stop as it is powered on? I'm by

far
no expert, just some guy trying to learn a thing or two..

Quite likely, when it's turned on the power consumption rises dramatically,
does it have a standby mode when it's "off"?

"kip" wrote in message
.. .
Sounds like the AC input choke is
singing just like the Mits use to do.

kip
"James Sweet" wrote in message

If this was the case would the hissing stop as it is powered on? I'm

by
far
no expert, just some guy trying to learn a thing or two..

Quite likely, when it's turned on the power consumption rises
dramatically,
does it have a standby mode when it's "off"?

Replaced the larger AC choke and it made no difference--still the
hissing/squealing with power off. And yes it does go into a standby mode
where it will show a "no input signal" that moves slowly around the screen.
I noticed there is a smaller choke in there as well but i don't have a
replacement handy for this so any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Power surges Cheryl Home Repair 54 June 25th 04 08:50 PM
POWER SAVING UNIT ? mowhoong Electronics Repair 7 May 7th 04 06:10 AM
need help tracing power circuit on laptop railroadrum Electronics Repair 7 April 16th 04 09:02 PM
Can power supply rebuild kit save this VCR? Sofie Electronics Repair 5 April 14th 04 10:37 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM