Buck Frobisher

"S" wrote in message
When this "future power" (name just reeks quality eh?) 17" monitor is
plugged in but not turned on it hisses. When it is powered on the hissing
stops and it displays fine. More of an annoyance to my dad (whos monitor
it
is) but I figured if someone knew why i could take measures to correct it.
I was suspecting the noise filter (ironic if so for a noise filter to
actually make noise rather than just block em but hey..) The large filter
cap as well as the other caps read good in the power supply side of
things.

thanks!

First thing: check for a tire losing air. (sorry, couldn't resist)

You don't say if it is a CRT or not, but if it is, could this be the tube
itself losing vacuum? Just a wild guess...