John Woodgate

Default Salvage corroded copper power connector?

I read in sci.electronics.design that DaveC wrote (in
) about 'Salvage
corroded copper power connector?', on Fri, 15 Apr 2005:

Is there any way to keep the corrosion from returning?

Grease, preferably that copper-loaded stuff you can get for car battery
lugs. Don't use too much.
'What is a Moebius strip?'
Jim Gregory

Dave
Clean electrodes with fine emery cloth. Smear throughout with Vaseline. It
will delay corrosion.

"DaveC" wrote in message
t...
Bosch cordless drill, 14v. Battery plugs into handle via 2 copper "pinch"
connectors (put your thumb and forefinger together at the fingerprints to
get
the idea).

I scraped the light corrosion off of them, but I presume, untreated, it
will
continue.

Is there any way to keep the corrosion from returning?

Thanks,

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

none

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 04:42:28 GMT, DaveC wrote:

Bosch cordless drill, 14v. Battery plugs into handle via 2 copper "pinch"
connectors (put your thumb and forefinger together at the fingerprints to get
the idea).

I scraped the light corrosion off of them, but I presume, untreated, it will
continue.

Is there any way to keep the corrosion from returning?

Thanks,

There are several brands of dielectric grease that you can use to keep
the brass from corroding.
I use LPS #1 or 2 sprayed on lightly to keep most of my electrical
components that are exposed to the elements from corrosion.
You can also use anti-corrosion grease, sold in tubes at most auto
supply stores. Just apply a thin coat with a Q-tip.
If the tool is exposed to extreme weather such as marine you might
want to have the contacts gold plated or at least silver cadded.

David Brodbeck

DaveC wrote:
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:05:25 -0700, Jim Gregory wrote
(in article ):

Clean electrodes with fine emery cloth. Smear throughout with Vaseline. It
will delay corrosion.

Vaseline, being a grease (and insulator), impedes current flow, no? Why are
so many folks recommending a non-conductive grease? (As always, I presume I'm
missing something, and have something to learn...)

The reason for greasing contacts is to keep oxygen away from them,
preventing corrosion. The pressure of the contacts will displace the
grease and allow current to flow. I know it sounds iffy, but it works.
It's especially useful on cars for corrosion-prone things like
headlight connectors, tail light sockets, battery posts, and ground lugs.

There's special grease sold for this called "dielectric grease", but for
your application Vaseline will work fine. The grease is deliberately
*not* made conductive, because that could cause shorts on
multi-conductor connectors. (A "dielectric" is an insulator -- think of
a capacitor dielectric.)

NSM

"DaveC" wrote in message
t...
How about tinning with silver-content electrical solder?

Dissolve a little baking soda in warm water and soak the cable in that or
pour over it. That should neutralize any acid.

Adrian Tuddenham

David Brodbeck wrote:

DaveC wrote:
[...]

All greases and lubricants are not equal. Don't let "Hypoy" or any form
of extreme pressure gear lubricant anywhere near it. Those are designed
to keep metal surfaces apart.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
TCS

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:58:02 GMT, DaveC wrote:
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:33:39 -0700, NSM wrote
(in article nbY7e.32002$yV3.9114@clgrps12):

Dissolve a little baking soda in warm water and soak the cable in that or
pour over it. That should neutralize any acid.

The cause of the corrosion is due to the drill being stored in a damp
environment for a short while, not acid.

Is the baking soda technique still appropriate?

yes.

With a base, copper will cease to corrode, having formed a protective
coating (salt?).
Mark Zenier

In article ,
David Brodbeck wrote:
There's special grease sold for this called "dielectric grease", but for
your application Vaseline will work fine. The grease is deliberately
*not* made conductive, because that could cause shorts on
multi-conductor connectors. (A "dielectric" is an insulator -- think of
a capacitor dielectric.)

There's an anti-oxidant grease that's even better, (designed for the joint
between copper and aluminum wiring, I think. One of last century's
really bad ideas). Ilsco De-Ox is the tube I have, but I've seen it
under different labels. Magic stuff if you've got a flashlight where
the batteries leaked and other large cruded up wiring.

For more delicate stuff, there's the oxide remover flavor/color of
Cramolin. (I can't remember if it's Red or Blue). Or its US
counterpart, Caig Lab's DeOxit.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

David Brodbeck

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
All greases and lubricants are not equal. Don't let "Hypoy" or any form
of extreme pressure gear lubricant anywhere near it. Those are designed
to keep metal surfaces apart.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Jim Adney

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:32:51 GMT DaveC wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:05:25 -0700, Jim Gregory wrote
(in article ):

Clean electrodes with fine emery cloth. Smear throughout with Vaseline. It
will delay corrosion.

Vaseline, being a grease (and insulator), impedes current flow, no? Why are
so many folks recommending a non-conductive grease?

When the connector is mated the grease is pushed aside. It is a
"fluid" without solids, other than possibly some copper flakes, and
the grease won't keep the connector parts from contacting each other.
What it will do is keep oxygen from the exposed surfaces.

I wouldn't try the solder coating suggestion. I've tried that with
brass, and to my chagrin, found that the soldering temp completely
annealed the connector, rendering it useless.

Live and learn....

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Rich Grise

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:01:49 -0500, Jim Adney wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:32:51 GMT DaveC wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:05:25 -0700, Jim Gregory wrote
(in article ):

Clean electrodes with fine emery cloth. Smear throughout with Vaseline. It
will delay corrosion.

Vaseline, being a grease (and insulator), impedes current flow, no? Why are
so many folks recommending a non-conductive grease?

When the connector is mated the grease is pushed aside. It is a
"fluid" without solids, other than possibly some copper flakes, and
the grease won't keep the connector parts from contacting each other.
What it will do is keep oxygen from the exposed surfaces.

I wouldn't try the solder coating suggestion. I've tried that with
brass, and to my chagrin, found that the soldering temp completely
annealed the connector, rendering it useless.

I've tried solder-plating things, and it turns out that that thin
layer of tin oxide is a very annoying insulator.

Good Luck!
Rich

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Why are you worrying about corrosion?Did your drill cease working?In all
electrical installations and transmission and distribution cables, copper
and aluminium is used.Both form a small oxide layer on the surface that
comes in contact with air, that protects the metal beneath.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:05:25 -0700, Jim Gregory wrote
(in article ):

Clean electrodes with fine emery cloth. Smear throughout with Vaseline.

It
will delay corrosion.

Vaseline, being a grease (and insulator), impedes current flow, no? Why

are
so many folks recommending a non-conductive grease? (As always, I presume

I'm
missing something, and have something to learn...)

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Don Kelly

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" wrote in message
Why are you worrying about corrosion?Did your drill cease working?In all
electrical installations and transmission and distribution cables, copper
and aluminium is used.Both form a small oxide layer on the surface that
comes in contact with air, that protects the metal beneath.

------------
The contacts of concern in the original thread were battery terminals and
clips. Sulfuric acid and copper produce copper sulphate which can cause
problems. The vasolene trick works- make the contacts first then smear the
vasolene. Side terminal batteries and sealed batteries don't have this
problem.
--
Don Kelly

remove the urine to answer

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:05:25 -0700, Jim Gregory wrote
(in article ):

Clean electrodes with fine emery cloth. Smear throughout with

Vaseline.
It
will delay corrosion.

Vaseline, being a grease (and insulator), impedes current flow, no? Why

are
so many folks recommending a non-conductive grease? (As always, I

presume
I'm
missing something, and have something to learn...)

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Don Kelly

P.S. It's not only a lead acid batttery problem. I had to throw out a TV
remote that had not been used for some time because of severe corrosion at
the terminals.

--
Don Kelly

remove the urine to answer