Rich Grise

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:01:49 -0500, Jim Adney wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:32:51 GMT DaveC wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:05:25 -0700, Jim Gregory wrote
(in article ):

Clean electrodes with fine emery cloth. Smear throughout with Vaseline. It
will delay corrosion.

Vaseline, being a grease (and insulator), impedes current flow, no? Why are
so many folks recommending a non-conductive grease?

When the connector is mated the grease is pushed aside. It is a
"fluid" without solids, other than possibly some copper flakes, and
the grease won't keep the connector parts from contacting each other.
What it will do is keep oxygen from the exposed surfaces.

I wouldn't try the solder coating suggestion. I've tried that with
brass, and to my chagrin, found that the soldering temp completely
annealed the connector, rendering it useless.

I've tried solder-plating things, and it turns out that that thin
layer of tin oxide is a very annoying insulator.

Good Luck!
Rich