RayP

Default Sony VCR ejecting cartridge

Hi
When I insert a tape into my vcr (sony model no.SLV430) ,the cartridge goes
in, the tape loads around the drum and after about 3 seconds, the tape
retracts back into the cartridge and the cartridge ejects.This is all it
will do.
Anyone have any solutions for me?
Thank You,
Ray

Have you tried different tapes?

Bob Shuman

Ray,

Sounds like this might be caused by a defective mode switch. Depending on
the model, you may be able to open the switch and clean it and not have to
replace. Good luck and post what you find.

Bob
"RayP" wrote in message
Hi
When I insert a tape into my vcr (sony model no.SLV430) ,the cartridge

goes
in, the tape loads around the drum and after about 3 seconds, the tape
retracts back into the cartridge and the cartridge ejects.

Ray L. Volts

"RayP" wrote in message
Hi
When I insert a tape into my vcr (sony model no.SLV430) ,the cartridge

goes
in, the tape loads around the drum and after about 3 seconds, the tape
retracts back into the cartridge and the cartridge ejects.This is all it
will do.
Anyone have any solutions for me?
Thank You,
Ray

How can you be certain the tape is fully threading around the drum and the
tape guides are locking into place? Did you remove the VCR cover and
observe this?
If the threading sequence has completed, cassette ejection most often
results from the tape take-up spool failing to turn at the appropriate rate,
alerting the VCR to a "critical" malfunction -- the VCR believes something
has gone horribly wrong which could ultimately damage the video heads and/or
the tape, so the tape is spit out.
Are the tapes being chewed? Is tape edge curling (creasing side of tape)
occurring?

Assuming the tape threading sequence has properly completed, a number of
things come to mind (not in order of probability):

Bad belt(s)
Excessive back tension (tape will be forced tight against drum; you'd hear
squealing noises and the drum slowing down)
Worm gear slipping on shaft (cracked); not turning cam gear
Stripped cam gear not engaging mode switch or not moving drive wheel into
position
Worn or dirty mode switch (as someone suggested)
Bad tape-end sensor
Bad dew sensor (or moisture actually present)
Excessive resistance of tape spools (try a newish tape and see if it does
it; cheap tapes are common culprits)

Mark D. Zacharias

RayP wrote:
Hi
When I insert a tape into my vcr (sony model no.SLV430) ,the
cartridge goes in, the tape loads around the drum and after about 3
seconds, the tape retracts back into the cartridge and the cartridge
ejects.This is all it will do.
Anyone have any solutions for me?
Thank You,
Ray

These commonly have problems with the carriage timing. One of the lower
gears is off by a tooth or 2. This is due to sloppy tolerances, and tends to
recur after fixed. There is a "fix" which involves adding a washer on the
right side, which is to brace the right side of the carriage as the tape is
inserted. This isn't all too reliable either, though.

Mark Z.

1991 Sony 8MM Camcorder real wierd problem --need expert help Ron G Electronics Repair 1 January 26th 04 09:11 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Sony G500 Monitor Repair Bob Electronics Repair 1 July 24th 03 04:52 AM
Sony G500 Monitor Repair bigmike Electronics Repair 0 July 23rd 03 09:01 AM
Sony G410R Monitor problem (and bad Sony support) Steeve M Electronics Repair 7 July 15th 03 12:24 AM