Ray L. Volts

"RayP" wrote in message
Hi
When I insert a tape into my vcr (sony model no.SLV430) ,the cartridge

goes
in, the tape loads around the drum and after about 3 seconds, the tape
retracts back into the cartridge and the cartridge ejects.This is all it
will do.
Anyone have any solutions for me?
Thank You,
Ray

How can you be certain the tape is fully threading around the drum and the
tape guides are locking into place? Did you remove the VCR cover and
observe this?
If the threading sequence has completed, cassette ejection most often
results from the tape take-up spool failing to turn at the appropriate rate,
alerting the VCR to a "critical" malfunction -- the VCR believes something
has gone horribly wrong which could ultimately damage the video heads and/or
the tape, so the tape is spit out.
Are the tapes being chewed? Is tape edge curling (creasing side of tape)
occurring?

Assuming the tape threading sequence has properly completed, a number of
things come to mind (not in order of probability):

Bad belt(s)
Excessive back tension (tape will be forced tight against drum; you'd hear
squealing noises and the drum slowing down)
Worm gear slipping on shaft (cracked); not turning cam gear
Stripped cam gear not engaging mode switch or not moving drive wheel into
position
Worn or dirty mode switch (as someone suggested)
Bad tape-end sensor
Bad dew sensor (or moisture actually present)
Excessive resistance of tape spools (try a newish tape and see if it does
it; cheap tapes are common culprits)