Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Zero-crossing detector (from seb)

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 01 May 2014 15:12:23 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

The AC line is sufficiently nasty (noise, distortion, phase and
amplitude hits) that a precision zcd doesn't make a lot of sense. What
makes sense is something that is safe, simple, and reliable.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

May well be. Why don't you enumerate them? Be precise. This is
supposed to be what this group is all about.

The AC line is sufficiently nasty (noise, distortion, phase and
amplitude hits) that a precision zcd doesn't make a lot of sense. What
makes sense is something that is safe, simple, and reliable.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

---
Really?

Where might they be?
---

The AC line is sufficiently nasty (noise, distortion, phase and
amplitude hits) that a precision zcd doesn't make a lot of sense. What
makes sense is something that is safe, simple, and reliable.

---
Sometimes, applications require a little more finesse than just
brute force.

John Fields
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in message

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

Done that and wondering: why is the sim taking so long? Three and a half
hours CPU time for a single run from start till finish at essentially 100%
CPU load. OK, that was less than 15 minutes real "wall clock" time (on a
dual Opteron system with 16 cores total), but still, that sim takes more
than plenty of time for what it does. I think, it dislikes LTSpice's
"alternate" solver in some strange way (or I've got some tolerance or
stepping parameters somewhere off-kilter).

BTW, it looks fine with a sinewave, but take a look at the version below -
with a really messy SNAFU mains like you'd sometimes get in places with a
lot of thin wires and "solar" inverters. Of course the waveform of the
"noise" is not realistic, it's just "something messy" made up in order to
simulate effects of non-deterministic stuff happening when a lot of poorly
filtered switchers "get their way", but still, some "interesting" reactions
from the circuit (slightly modified .asc below, all else being the same):

Version 4
SHEET 1 1172 916
WIRE -1072 -544 -1104 -544
WIRE -672 -544 -848 -544
WIRE -336 -544 -400 -544
WIRE -2432 -512 -2512 -512
WIRE -1728 -512 -2336 -512
WIRE -1600 -512 -1728 -512
WIRE -1440 -512 -1600 -512
WIRE -1360 -512 -1440 -512
WIRE -1328 -512 -1360 -512
WIRE -1104 -512 -1104 -544
WIRE -1072 -512 -1104 -512
WIRE -688 -512 -848 -512
WIRE -672 -512 -672 -544
WIRE -624 -512 -672 -512
WIRE -336 -512 -400 -512
WIRE -1104 -480 -1104 -512
WIRE -1072 -480 -1104 -480
WIRE -704 -480 -848 -480
WIRE -688 -480 -688 -512
WIRE -624 -480 -688 -480
WIRE -336 -480 -400 -480
WIRE -1728 -464 -1728 -512
WIRE -1440 -464 -1440 -512
WIRE -1360 -464 -1360 -512
WIRE -1104 -448 -1104 -480
WIRE -1072 -448 -1104 -448
WIRE -768 -448 -848 -448
WIRE -704 -448 -704 -480
WIRE -624 -448 -704 -448
WIRE -336 -448 -400 -448
WIRE -2192 -432 -2256 -432
WIRE -2064 -432 -2128 -432
WIRE -2016 -432 -2064 -432
WIRE -1904 -432 -1952 -432
WIRE -1840 -432 -1904 -432
WIRE -2512 -416 -2512 -512
WIRE -1104 -416 -1104 -448
WIRE -384 -384 -400 -384
WIRE -240 -368 -272 -368
WIRE -2064 -352 -2064 -432
WIRE -2256 -336 -2256 -432
WIRE -2224 -336 -2256 -336
WIRE -2112 -336 -2144 -336
WIRE -1840 -336 -1840 -432
WIRE -1536 -336 -1680 -336
WIRE -1520 -336 -1536 -336
WIRE -1440 -336 -1440 -384
WIRE -1440 -336 -1456 -336
WIRE -1360 -336 -1360 -400
WIRE -1360 -336 -1440 -336
WIRE -1296 -336 -1360 -336
WIRE -1168 -320 -1184 -320
WIRE -1072 -320 -1168 -320
WIRE -624 -320 -720 -320
WIRE -1680 -304 -1680 -336
WIRE -1296 -304 -1312 -304
WIRE -2256 -288 -2256 -336
WIRE -2112 -288 -2256 -288
WIRE -1072 -288 -1136 -288
WIRE -624 -288 -688 -288
WIRE -1312 -272 -1312 -304
WIRE -2064 -240 -2064 -272
WIRE -2336 -224 -2336 -512
WIRE -1600 -224 -1600 -512
WIRE -1728 -192 -1728 -384
WIRE -1632 -192 -1728 -192
WIRE -1536 -192 -1536 -336
WIRE -1536 -192 -1552 -192
WIRE -2432 -160 -2432 -512
WIRE -2064 -160 -2432 -160
WIRE -1840 -160 -1840 -256
WIRE -1680 -160 -1680 -224
WIRE -1680 -160 -1840 -160
WIRE -1632 -160 -1680 -160
WIRE -2064 -128 -2432 -128
WIRE -1536 -128 -1536 -192
WIRE -1520 -128 -1536 -128
WIRE -1440 -128 -1456 -128
WIRE -1360 -128 -1440 -128
WIRE -1296 -128 -1360 -128
WIRE -2256 -112 -2256 -288
WIRE -2192 -112 -2256 -112
WIRE -2064 -112 -2064 -128
WIRE -2064 -112 -2128 -112
WIRE -2000 -112 -2064 -112
WIRE -1904 -112 -1904 -432
WIRE -1904 -112 -1936 -112
WIRE -1616 -112 -1616 -128
WIRE -1600 -112 -1600 -128
WIRE -1600 -112 -1616 -112
WIRE -1584 -112 -1584 -128
WIRE -1584 -112 -1600 -112
WIRE -720 -112 -720 -320
WIRE -720 -112 -1184 -112
WIRE -624 -112 -624 -224
WIRE -384 -112 -384 -352
WIRE -384 -112 -624 -112
WIRE -1072 -80 -1072 -224
WIRE -832 -80 -1072 -80
WIRE -1440 -64 -1440 -128
WIRE -1360 -64 -1360 -128
WIRE -2064 -48 -2064 -112
WIRE -1840 -48 -1840 -160
WIRE -1728 -48 -1728 -192
WIRE -1072 0 -1104 0
WIRE -784 0 -848 0
WIRE -768 0 -768 -448
WIRE -624 0 -768 0
WIRE -336 0 -400 0
WIRE -1104 32 -1104 0
WIRE -1072 32 -1104 32
WIRE -800 32 -848 32
WIRE -784 32 -784 0
WIRE -624 32 -784 32
WIRE -336 32 -400 32
WIRE -2336 48 -2336 -144
WIRE -2304 48 -2336 48
WIRE -1104 64 -1104 32
WIRE -1072 64 -1104 64
WIRE -816 64 -848 64
WIRE -800 64 -800 32
WIRE -624 64 -800 64
WIRE -336 64 -400 64
WIRE -2512 80 -2512 -336
WIRE -2432 80 -2432 -128
WIRE -2432 80 -2512 80
WIRE -2336 80 -2336 48
WIRE -2256 80 -2256 -112
WIRE -2256 80 -2336 80
WIRE -2064 80 -2064 32
WIRE -2064 80 -2256 80
WIRE -1840 80 -1840 32
WIRE -1840 80 -2064 80
WIRE -1728 80 -1728 32
WIRE -1728 80 -1840 80
WIRE -1616 80 -1616 -112
WIRE -1616 80 -1728 80
WIRE -1440 80 -1440 16
WIRE -1440 80 -1616 80
WIRE -1360 80 -1360 0
WIRE -1360 80 -1440 80
WIRE -1296 80 -1360 80
WIRE -1136 80 -1136 -288
WIRE -1136 80 -1216 80
WIRE -1104 96 -1104 64
WIRE -1072 96 -1104 96
WIRE -816 96 -816 64
WIRE -624 96 -816 96
WIRE -336 96 -400 96
WIRE -1104 128 -1104 96
WIRE -832 160 -832 -80
WIRE -832 160 -848 160
WIRE -384 160 -384 -112
WIRE -384 160 -400 160
WIRE -2336 176 -2336 80
WIRE -1168 224 -1168 -320
WIRE -1072 224 -1168 224
WIRE -720 224 -720 -112
WIRE -624 224 -720 224
WIRE -1136 256 -1136 80
WIRE -1072 256 -1136 256
WIRE -688 256 -688 -288
WIRE -624 256 -688 256
WIRE -1536 320 -1536 -128
WIRE -1072 320 -1536 320
WIRE -1072 416 -1072 320
WIRE -624 416 -624 320
WIRE -624 416 -1072 416
WIRE -1136 448 -1136 256
WIRE -688 448 -688 256
WIRE -688 448 -1136 448
FLAG -1296 -96 Vcc
FLAG -1312 -272 0
FLAG -1328 -512 Vcc
FLAG -1072 -256 Vcc
FLAG -1072 288 Vcc
FLAG -1104 -416 0
FLAG -624 -256 0V
FLAG -624 288 0V
FLAG -624 -544 0V
FLAG -1104 128 0
FLAG -1072 -352 0V
FLAG -1072 192 0V
FLAG -624 -352 0V
FLAG -624 192 0V
FLAG -2336 176 0
FLAG -2304 48 0V
SYMBOL CD4001B -1248 -384 R0
SYMATTR InstName U8
SYMBOL CD4081B -1248 -176 R0
SYMATTR InstName U3
SYMBOL cap -1456 -352 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName C1
SYMATTR Value 220p
SYMBOL cap -1456 -144 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName C2
SYMATTR Value 220p
SYMBOL res -1456 -80 R0
SYMATTR InstName R6
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL res -1456 -480 R0
SYMATTR InstName R7
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL res -1744 -480 R0
SYMATTR InstName R9
SYMATTR Value 100K
SYMBOL res -1744 -64 R0
SYMATTR InstName R10
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL voltage -2064 -256 R0
WINDOW 3 24 96 Invisible 2
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR Value SINE(0 170 50)
SYMATTR InstName V4
SYMBOL res -2080 -64 R0
SYMATTR InstName R11
SYMATTR Value 1g
SYMBOL voltage -2336 -240 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V5
SYMATTR Value 5
SYMBOL res -1856 -352 R0
SYMATTR InstName R12
SYMATTR Value 100K
SYMBOL res -1856 -64 R0
SYMATTR InstName R13
SYMATTR Value 3030
SYMBOL diode -2016 -416 R270
WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D7
SYMATTR Value MURS120
SYMBOL CD4516B -960 -128 M180
SYMATTR InstName U2
SYMBOL CD4516B -960 416 M180
SYMATTR InstName U6
SYMBOL CD4516B -512 -128 M180
SYMATTR InstName U7
SYMBOL CD4516B -512 416 M180
SYMATTR InstName U9
SYMBOL voltage -1200 80 M270
WINDOW 3 24 96 Invisible 2
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 0 44 7 VBottom 2
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 5 0 10n 10n 10u 20u)
SYMATTR InstName V6
SYMBOL CD4001B -336 -432 R0
WINDOW 0 43 84 Left 2
WINDOW 3 19 109 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName U12
SYMBOL diode -2192 -416 R270
WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D8
SYMATTR Value MURS120
SYMBOL diode -2192 -96 R270
WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D9
SYMATTR Value MURS120
SYMBOL diode -2000 -96 R270
WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D10
SYMATTR Value MURS120
SYMBOL diode -1344 -400 R180
WINDOW 0 -43 38 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -74 -5 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName D1
SYMATTR Value 1N4148
SYMBOL diode -1344 0 R180
WINDOW 0 -43 38 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -74 -5 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName D2
SYMATTR Value 1N4148
SYMBOL Comparators\\LT1711 -1600 -176 R0
WINDOW 0 -97 37 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -122 70 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName U4
SYMBOL voltage -2128 -336 R90
WINDOW 0 -33 90 VRight 2
WINDOW 3 -242 110 Invisible 2
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V2
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 1 3m 1E-6 1E-6)
SYMBOL sw -2064 -256 M180
WINDOW 0 32 15 Left 2
WINDOW 3 32 44 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName S1
SYMBOL res -1696 -320 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 1meg
SYMBOL voltage -2512 -432 R0
WINDOW 3 24 96 Invisible 2
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR Value SFFM(0 10 3700 80 170)
SYMATTR InstName V1
TEXT -2320 112 Left 2 !.tran 0 .05 0 1u uic
TEXT -2320 144 Left 2 !.include cd4000.lib
TEXT -368 -296 Left 2 ;OUT TO ISOLATOR
TEXT -2024 112 Left 2 !.model SW SW(Ron=1 Roff=10Meg Vt=0.5Vh=0)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

---
Faulty recall, I believe.

Show me the bugs or, by your silence, admit there aren't any?
---

The AC line is sufficiently nasty (noise, distortion, phase and
amplitude hits) that a precision zcd doesn't make a lot of sense. What
makes sense is something that is safe, simple, and reliable.

---
And your designs are safe from line nasties, how?

jfields
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

---
Faulty recall, I believe.

Show me the bugs or, by your silence, admit there aren't any?
---

The AC line is sufficiently nasty (noise, distortion, phase and
amplitude hits) that a precision zcd doesn't make a lot of sense. What
makes sense is something that is safe, simple, and reliable.

---
And your designs are safe from line nasties, how?

jfields

John! John! Mind your manners! You're not supposed to announce that
the emperor has no clothes :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields wrote:
Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

I just reinstalled LT Spice clean, and it gives me a blank graph in
simulation.

What problem is it supposed to solve?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 3 May 2014 14:35:50 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

John Fields wrote:
Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

I just reinstalled LT Spice clean, and it gives me a blank graph in
simulation.

What problem is it supposed to solve?

---
See: "Question on zero-crossing circuit" on sci.electronics.basic

John Fields

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 3 May 2014 01:36:42 +0200, "Dimitrij Klingbeil"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

YOW!!! Interesting indeed!

With mains that dirty and that type of ZCD, I'd have to run the load
_and_ the ZCD from a ferroresonant transformer.

John Fields

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

May well be. Why don't you enumerate them? Be precise. This is
supposed to be what this group is all about.

I did, back when he first posted it. Any non-trivial clocked logic with multiple
async inputs will probably have bugs. Proving that it does not is a lot more
work than just doing it right from the start.

But you "don't do digital."

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

---
Faulty recall, I believe.

Show me the bugs or, by your silence, admit there aren't any?

Did it. Look it up.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

May well be. Why don't you enumerate them? Be precise. This is
supposed to be what this group is all about.

I did, back when he first posted it. Any non-trivial clocked logic with multiple
async inputs will probably have bugs. Proving that it does not is a lot more
work than just doing it right from the start.

(1) You just said "buggy" and "race conditions", but no particulars;
but that's you style, criticism with no real content. And when
pressed for details you go silent... which is when you're at your best
:-}

But you "don't do digital."

(2) But I do... remember, I re-did all of ON Semi's 74HCxxx stuff a
while back.

Synchronous logic is, indeed, convenient. Requires almost zero brain
power to avoid race issues.

Async... now that takes some skill... just today finished a fault
catcher that's fully async.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

---
Faulty recall, I believe.

Show me the bugs or, by your silence, admit there aren't any?

Did it. Look it up.

Bwahahahahaha! Message-ID? By your silence you're BS-ing yet again
:-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

---
Faulty recall, I believe.

Show me the bugs or, by your silence, admit there aren't any?

Did it. Look it up.

Bwahahahahaha! Message-ID? By your silence you're BS-ing yet again
:-}

...Jim Thompson

Damn, when you said "bye" I was hoping that you had killfiled me, yet again.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

May well be. Why don't you enumerate them? Be precise. This is
supposed to be what this group is all about.

I did, back when he first posted it.

---
That was a completely different circuit, so why don't you just go
ahead and post the errors you think you see in this one?

John Fields
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

---
Faulty recall, I believe.

Show me the bugs or, by your silence, admit there aren't any?

Did it. Look it up.

---
Different circuit; what do you think you see wrong with this one?

John Fields
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

May well be. Why don't you enumerate them? Be precise. This is
supposed to be what this group is all about.

I did, back when he first posted it.

---
That was a completely different circuit, so why don't you just go
ahead and post the errors you think you see in this one?

John Fields

Looks similar to the other one. It sure has the same hazards, multiple sloppy
async inputs into a clocked state machine.

But the complexity alone makes it absurd as a zcd. It needs a floating 5 volt
power supply, too. By the time you do that, and the clock, you'll be up to 30
parts maybe. Still not isolated!

I real life, that bridge rectifier, loaded by 100K, will not give clean zero
indications.

Try something clean and simple now and then.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...uits/ZCD_4.JPG

But Jim loves yours, and that's all that matters.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Download all the files into a single folder and then run ZCD7.asc.

John Fields

I recall that one. It has some logic-race bugs.

May well be. Why don't you enumerate them? Be precise. This is
supposed to be what this group is all about.

I did, back when he first posted it.

---
That was a completely different circuit, so why don't you just go
ahead and post the errors you think you see in this one?

John Fields

Looks similar to the other one. It sure has the same hazards, multiple sloppy
async inputs into a clocked state machine.

---
In this one there are no races being run, so your "critique" is
bogus.
---

But the complexity alone makes it absurd as a zcd.

---
You might think so because your sow's ears can never become silk
purses, but the price for precision is often complexity.

For example, you can't use a sundial to check an atomic clock's
accuracy.
---

It needs a floating 5 volt
power supply, too.

---
You're grasping at straws since even a simple 5VDC out wall-wart
connected to the mains through a transformer will satisfy that
requirement.
---

By the time you do that, and the clock, you'll be up to 30
parts maybe. Still not isolated!

---
Doesn't need to be, since the output pulse can be.
---

I real life, that bridge rectifier, loaded by 100K, will not give clean zero
indications.

---
When the AC cycle goes through zero volts, where's the output of the
bridge going to be, then?
---

Try something clean and simple now and then.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...uits/ZCD_4.JPG

---
How close can you get to the 20kHz zero crossings the OP asked for
with that?

Or _any_ of your circuits?
---

But Jim loves yours, and that's all that matters.

---
Huh???

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

BTW, if you've been following the thread you may have noticed that
the OP elaborated on his requirements, which I think are satisfied
by the circuit in the ZCD2-5v post.

Comment?

John Fields

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2014 18:36:25 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

[snip]

But Jim loves yours, and that's all that matters.

I said no such thing. I simply asked, since this is _supposedly_ an
electronics discussion group, for you to demonstrate where the "bugs"
and race conditions are.

By your silence, you are demonstrating that you can't.

...Jim Thompson