Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Mains voltage zero crossing detector with optical isolated output - Drive_R_S_Flop.pdf

Attached is what I had in mind using opto-couplers to set and reset a
simple flip-flop.

The advantage is that the 100K load on the opto-coupler is slow in the
_rising_ direction, but falls fast, thus doesn't impair performance.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Drive_R_S_Flop.pdf (68.9 KB, 115 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson a écrit :
Attached is what I had in mind using opto-couplers to set and reset a
simple flip-flop.

The advantage is that the 100K load on the opto-coupler is slow in the
_rising_ direction, but falls fast, thus doesn't impair performance.

...Jim Thompson

What about that 100us delay at the falling edge ;-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 01:18:02 +0100, Fred Bartoli " " wrote:

Jim Thompson a écrit :
Attached is what I had in mind using opto-couplers to set and reset a
simple flip-flop.

The advantage is that the 100K load on the opto-coupler is slow in the
_rising_ direction, but falls fast, thus doesn't impair performance.

...Jim Thompson

What about that 100us delay at the falling edge ;-)

111us ;-)

It should be symmetric. I suspect it's just a simulation runtime
issue until the "lead" capacitor reaches equilibrium, since, without
the capacitor, it's symmetric at 278us delay on both edges. (I
"tuned" to the first edge... something I would not normally do, as
it's not good engineering practice.)

My multi-component version, which thoroughly "whacks" the opto-coupler
at the zero-crossing, does ~2us on both edges, come hell or high
water, but it offended his majesty.... so he's off sucking his thumb
in the corner trying to think of other phrases of denigration besides
"hag" and "geezer" :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson a écrit :
[...]

You _can_ make an R-S flip-flop from the raw opto-coupler NPN's. But,
taking output from one side, it's so gross it looks like a Larkin
creation. Might clean it up with some logic that looks at both
collectors, but why bother.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |