Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default What are these nodes?

What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 01/26/2013 12:18 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

AC analysis relies on linearity, so all signals are noninteracting.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:53:37 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 01/26/2013 12:18 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

AC analysis relies on linearity, so all signals are noninteracting.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

AC analysis is indeed "small signal". That doesn't negate the fact
that the analysis finds a frequency misbehavior.

And I don't have a clue what your "non-interacting" means. Sounds
like BS to me :-}

I'll run a transient analysis and prove it to you.

Sorry "prove" is the wrong word. Some on this group think their
opinion outweighs science.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/26/2013 12:18 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

I lurk here mostly, but I don't understand the big deal over this
circuit. Isn't it just a poor man's TIA? Input current against R5
creates current in the output -Iin*R5/R4 so (neglecting the small
current contribution from Iin) Vo/Iin = -(R5*(R3+R4))/R4?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:18:52 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

Depends on what you mean by "AC Analysis". Most people are interested in the
overall transfer function of an amplifier, so the left side of C2 isn't ground,
it's the input.

The transfer function is OUT/INPUT, which isn't useful if you define the INPUT
node to be ground.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 13:11:11 -0500, bitrex
wrote:

On 1/26/2013 12:18 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

I lurk here mostly, but I don't understand the big deal over this
circuit. Isn't it just a poor man's TIA? Input current against R5
creates current in the output -Iin*R5/R4 so (neglecting the small
current contribution from Iin) Vo/Iin = -(R5*(R3+R4))/R4?

Yes, exactly! A breath of fresh air from someone who knows what they
are doing, instead of BS'ing!

The big deal is that the "bootstrap" is not broadband. It is actually
a "poor man's gyrator", as I've demonstrated. I'm guessing that the
component values were chosen specifically to enhance behavior at
40KHz... that is, the sensor is likely a motion detector type.

So, as a plain vanilla amplifier, it's performance is terrible...
unless driven from a high impedance source... then it's pretty much
useless.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 13:11:11 -0500, bitrex wrote:

On 1/26/2013 12:18 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

I lurk here mostly, but I don't understand the big deal over this
circuit. Isn't it just a poor man's TIA? Input current against R5
creates current in the output -Iin*R5/R4 so (neglecting the small
current contribution from Iin) Vo/Iin = -(R5*(R3+R4))/R4?

James assumed that the signal source was a voltage, whose source impedance,
including the coupling cap C2, was far lower than the 220K bias resistor, so the
thing runs open-loop with a voltage gain of hundreds. The whole point of
bootstrapping was to increase the overall voltage gain. The feedback is just to
set the DC operating point, not to limit the gain or to make a TIA. As James
said, if AC feedback were a concern, add a bypass cap in the feedback path so
that it isn't.

The true poor man's TIA is a single resistor to ground.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Which is what Bitrex said, and I missed emphasizing, input "current".

As a voltage amplifier it's a differentiator.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 01/26/2013 12:18 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

AC analysis relies on linearity, so all signals are noninteracting.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

AC analysis is indeed "small signal". That doesn't negate the fact
that the analysis finds a frequency misbehavior.

And I don't have a clue what your "non-interacting" means. Sounds
like BS to me :-}

I'll run a transient analysis and prove it to you.

Sorry "prove" is the wrong word. Some on this group think their
opinion outweighs science.

...Jim Thompson

I agree that running a simulation doesn't prove a whole lot by itself,
but then I don't have a dog in this fight.

"Non-interacting" means what it says--in a perfectly linear system, the
response to any combination of stimuli, applied wherever you like,
equals the sum of the responses to each stimulus alone.

I do build a whole lot of bootstraps, though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

PhD-ish for the superposition theorem ?:-)

I do build a whole lot of bootstraps, though.

Whoopee Doo! I build thousands of cascoded mirrors.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

You really are pretty torqued about this, aren't you?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 01/26/2013 12:18 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

AC analysis relies on linearity, so all signals are noninteracting.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

AC analysis is indeed "small signal". That doesn't negate the fact
that the analysis finds a frequency misbehavior.

And I don't have a clue what your "non-interacting" means. Sounds
like BS to me :-}

I'll run a transient analysis and prove it to you.

Sorry "prove" is the wrong word. Some on this group think their
opinion outweighs science.

...Jim Thompson

I agree that running a simulation doesn't prove a whole lot by itself,

Almost missed that jewel. Are you saying opinion outweighs
simulation?

but then I don't have a dog in this fight.

Just your nose ?:-)

[snip]

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps! I'm thinking of writing a book, "America's Worst
Engineering" and quoting from this public forum... citing names along
with the examples :-)

The "bootstrap", as presented, works only with a capacitive sensor and
is crap otherwise.

When I posted my misgivings, I was dumped on, rather than _anyone_
presenting a proper analysis.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 01/26/2013 12:18 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

AC analysis relies on linearity, so all signals are noninteracting.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

AC analysis is indeed "small signal". That doesn't negate the fact
that the analysis finds a frequency misbehavior.

And I don't have a clue what your "non-interacting" means. Sounds
like BS to me :-}

I'll run a transient analysis and prove it to you.

Sorry "prove" is the wrong word. Some on this group think their
opinion outweighs science.

...Jim Thompson

I agree that running a simulation doesn't prove a whole lot by itself,

Almost missed that jewel. Are you saying opinion outweighs
simulation?

No, just that simulation isn't reality. You know perfectly well the
level of effort required to make a decent set of models for nontrivial
devices--it sure doesn't happen by accident. All those models have to
be validated by experiment (physical and numerical), and they only work
over a limited set of input parameters. For instance, zenering a BE
junction will reduce beta, but good luck getting that into a SPICE model.

but then I don't have a dog in this fight.

Just your nose ?:-)

You know, Jim, the last time I checked, Usenet was a public forum. If
you want your tiffs to be private, you might consider conducting them
over the phone.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:44:46 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 1/26/2013 3:34 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:29:38 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

[snip]

I agree that running a simulation doesn't prove a whole lot by itself,

Almost missed that jewel. Are you saying opinion outweighs
simulation?

No, just that simulation isn't reality. You know perfectly well the
level of effort required to make a decent set of models for nontrivial
devices--it sure doesn't happen by accident. All those models have to
be validated by experiment (physical and numerical), and they only work
over a limited set of input parameters. For instance, zenering a BE
junction will reduce beta, but good luck getting that into a SPICE model.

Getting a bit off-track there aren't we?

Are you claiming that my simulation isn't reality? That there's
something in this simple circuit that is black magic, such that jerks
can claim a performance not demonstrated by a simulation?

I've just been vindicated by a Marshall Leach paper.

but then I don't have a dog in this fight.

Just your nose ?:-)

You know, Jim, the last time I checked, Usenet was a public forum. If
you want your tiffs to be private, you might consider conducting them
over the phone.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 03:18:52 +1000, Jim Thompson
wrote:

What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

Isn't the thevein equivalent of what those nodes are connected to a short
circuit?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

Isn't the thevein equivalent of what those nodes are connected to a short
circuit?

I guess you might say that. What are they "shorted" TO?

In an AC analysis, all _FIXED_ voltage sources are presumed ZERO.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

Isn't the thevein equivalent of what those nodes are connected to a
short
circuit?

I guess you might say that. What are they "shorted" TO?

In an AC analysis, all _FIXED_ voltage sources are presumed ZERO.

...Jim Thompson

If you stick thevein in then it is clearly shorted to gnd so it must be
equivalent to zero
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

What are these nodes?

http://tinyurl.com/bjxndpg

...Jim Thompson

Isn't the thevein equivalent of what those nodes are connected to a
short
circuit?

I guess you might say that. What are they "shorted" TO?

In an AC analysis, all _FIXED_ voltage sources are presumed ZERO.

...Jim Thompson

If you stick thevein in then it is clearly shorted to gnd so it must be
equivalent to zero

Only if the voltage source value goes to zero. A Thevenin equivalent
is a voltage in series with a resistor of a value determined by what
you get when you short the source.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |