Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default What are these nodes?

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:44:46 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 1/26/2013 3:34 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:29:38 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

[snip]

I agree that running a simulation doesn't prove a whole lot by itself,

Almost missed that jewel. Are you saying opinion outweighs
simulation?

No, just that simulation isn't reality. You know perfectly well the
level of effort required to make a decent set of models for nontrivial
devices--it sure doesn't happen by accident. All those models have to
be validated by experiment (physical and numerical), and they only work
over a limited set of input parameters. For instance, zenering a BE
junction will reduce beta, but good luck getting that into a SPICE model.

Getting a bit off-track there aren't we?

Are you claiming that my simulation isn't reality? That there's
something in this simple circuit that is black magic, such that jerks
can claim a performance not demonstrated by a simulation?

I've just been vindicated by a Marshall Leach paper.

but then I don't have a dog in this fight.

Just your nose ?:-)

You know, Jim, the last time I checked, Usenet was a public forum. If
you want your tiffs to be private, you might consider conducting them
over the phone.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

...Jim Thompson