Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.basics

Default Anyone using ooma?

Anyone using ooma?

Comments?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.basics

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone using ooma?

Comments?

...Jim Thompson

Hmmm. Wonder if that would have less echo than my cordless phones on a
verizon fios phone. Odd thing is that a corded phone works perfectly and has
no echo. The cordless DECT 6.0 phones have sometimes a horrible echo.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone using ooma?

We (well, my wife, really) have had it for almost three years now. It
works great for talking to people; she says the sound quality has always
been fine. She very much likes the ability to simultaneously ring both
the "Ooma phone" as well as her cell phone, as it pretty much means
she'll never miss a call. I like the fact that it is a self-contained
box that you plug "regular" phones into, rather than something than has
to be plugged into a PC that's powered up 24/7.

It's a bit of a hassle to set up for FAXing -- you have to dial an
access code first (*99) to tell Ooma to use a more "transparent" CoDec,
and set the FAX machine to a lowish speed --, but after doing that once
it works OK.

---Joel
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.basics

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:55:43 -0700, Joel Koltner
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone using ooma?

We (well, my wife, really) have had it for almost three years now. It
works great for talking to people; she says the sound quality has always
been fine. She very much likes the ability to simultaneously ring both
the "Ooma phone" as well as her cell phone, as it pretty much means
she'll never miss a call. I like the fact that it is a self-contained
box that you plug "regular" phones into, rather than something than has
to be plugged into a PC that's powered up 24/7.

It's a bit of a hassle to set up for FAXing -- you have to dial an
access code first (*99) to tell Ooma to use a more "transparent" CoDec,
and set the FAX machine to a lowish speed --, but after doing that once
it works OK.

---Joel

Question and comment:

(1) Can you transfer your old land-line number to Ooma?

(2) I use MyFax, so I just E-mail a PDF to a specific E-mail address
and the recipient receives a normal "FAX". Likewise my advertised FAX
phone number just catches real faxes and then E-mails them to me.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.basics

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

(1) Can you transfer your old land-line number to Ooma?

Probably. VoIP providers are, in general, covered by the same rules
about number portability (both "to them" and "from them") that the
traditional land-line providers are bound to.

http://www.ooma.com/products/port

I converted my wife's home-office business line over from a standard
PacBell/AT&T land-line, to a VoIP line (using Vitelity) as the
new carrier. There was a one-time fee for the porting (as is usual
for porting), it went off without a hitch, and it's been working fine
ever since. Since she gets few calls on that line, we opted for the
"DID fee, plus a per-minute charge" rather than flat-rate... and we
ended up paying about a third of what the landline had cost.

And, I live being able to blacklist known telemarketers via an
Asterisk database... they get a "congested line" rejection and the
phone never rings.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
Question and comment:

(1) Can you transfer your old land-line number to Ooma?

Yes -- or at least they claim you can; we didn't do so as at the time we
didn't have any well-known number we wanted ported. Indeed, this was
when we were in southern Oregon, and we specifically chose a Portland
area code for our new number since that's where more of my wife's
clients were located.

Ah, he https://go.ooma.com/phone_numbers -- That'll let you check if
your number can be ported.

(2) I use MyFax, so I just E-mail a PDF to a specific E-mail address
and the recipient receives a normal "FAX". Likewise my advertised FAX
phone number just catches real faxes and then E-mails them to me.

That does sound like a better solution than the slightly-hacked Ooma
approach. She only sends perhaps 1 or 2 FAXes a month, though -- if it
were more MyFax sounds like the way to go.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.basics

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message news
wrote:

[...]