Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Modeling an MOV?

I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

It probably isn't single-valued, so you might need a subcircuit with a
few flip flops in it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 04/28/2011 11:22 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Try different search terms? I'll bet that physicists don't think
"resistance vs. voltage". I'll bet they think "current vs. voltage".
So maybe search on "current in metal oxide varistors"?

What does Wikipedia say?

I'll bet that when you finally get down to the nitty-gritty, you'll
discover that there's a bazillion different effects, and for any given
MOV you just have to do a best fit to measured data. But I'm a skeptic.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:26:25 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

It probably isn't single-valued, so you might need a subcircuit with a
few flip flops in it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

It snaps back? I've modeled BVceo snap back without flip-flops, so,
if I can get a definitive equation (or curve), I can likely model it.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:22:03 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Here's one:-

http://www.orcad.com/documents/commu...pice/tn28.aspx

Basically just a voltage dependent resistance plus some parasitics-
they don't really have hysteresis.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 04/28/2011 11:35 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 04/28/2011 11:22 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Try different search terms? I'll bet that physicists don't think
"resistance vs. voltage". I'll bet they think "current vs. voltage". So
maybe search on "current in metal oxide varistors"?

What does Wikipedia say?

I'll bet that when you finally get down to the nitty-gritty, you'll
discover that there's a bazillion different effects, and for any given
MOV you just have to do a best fit to measured data. But I'm a skeptic.

Actually, Wikipedia has some curves, which pretty much back up my
hypothesis that it depends on the material. Think "lots of back to back
diodes in series-parallel", and you get an idea of the behavior.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Here's one:-

http://www.orcad.com/documents/commu...pice/tn28.aspx

Basically just a voltage dependent resistance plus some parasitics-
they don't really have hysteresis.

Thanks! Should have known... Brian Hirasuna was one of PSpice's best
support engineers, along with Charlie Edmondson (and Mohi :-)... they
actually know simulators _and_ circuits!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

It probably isn't single-valued, so you might need a subcircuit with a
few flip flops in it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

It snaps back? I've modeled BVceo snap back without flip-flops, so,
if I can get a definitive equation (or curve), I can likely model it.

...Jim Thompson

IIRC the V-I curves look a lot like those of neon lamps. There are some
similarities in the physical processes.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Anyone who uses an MOV after the invention of the Transzorb is an idiot.
http://www.vishay.com/diodes/protection-tvs-esd/

Hope This Helps!
Rich