Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
JosephKK JosephKK is offline

Default Modeling an MOV?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:39:26 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:26:25 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

It probably isn't single-valued, so you might need a subcircuit with a
few flip flops in it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

It snaps back? I've modeled BVceo snap back without flip-flops, so,
if I can get a definitive equation (or curve), I can likely model it.

...Jim Thompson

IIRC the V-I curves look a lot like those of neon lamps. There are some
similarities in the physical processes.