Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Modeling an MOV?

On 04/28/2011 11:22 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm presuming that an MOV (varistor) can be described with an equation
defining resistance versus voltage?

But I can't locate a site that gives such an equation.

Suggestions?

Try different search terms? I'll bet that physicists don't think
"resistance vs. voltage". I'll bet they think "current vs. voltage".
So maybe search on "current in metal oxide varistors"?

What does Wikipedia say?

I'll bet that when you finally get down to the nitty-gritty, you'll
discover that there's a bazillion different effects, and for any given
MOV you just have to do a best fit to measured data. But I'm a skeptic.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services