Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default RoHS Question

Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 03/31/2011 02:38 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

Other than making it RoHS non-compliant?

I use 60/40 solder for prototyping, with a mix of RoHS and non-RoHs
components. I haven't had problems -- but I haven't tried to get
anything through environmental cert, either.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:51:40 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On 03/31/2011 02:38 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

Other than making it RoHS non-compliant?

I use 60/40 solder for prototyping, with a mix of RoHS and non-RoHs
components. I haven't had problems -- but I haven't tried to get
anything through environmental cert, either.

This is for my extended G-job... no certification needed ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On 03/31/2011 02:38 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

Other than making it RoHS non-compliant?

I use 60/40 solder for prototyping, with a mix of RoHS and non-RoHs
components. I haven't had problems -- but I haven't tried to get
anything through environmental cert, either.

60/40 for reliability, tin solder for compliance.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:19:21 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:38:44 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

...Jim Thompson

If you're talking a discrete 'module' then leading probably uses a
matte tin plating, which shouldn't be a problem for tin/lead solder.
Maybe need a bit more temp than with lead/tin plating to get good
wetting, but less than needed for lead free solder.

BGAs are another matter since they, if RoHS compliant devices, will
already have lead free solder bumps (often/usually SAC) and trying to
mix those with a tin/lead solder profile can be problematic, because
of the temperature mismatch, although solvable from what I hear.

This is hand-work, thru-hole. Only BGA's I ever see are on paper as I
figure out the wire-bonding/strap-welding ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

...Jim Thompson

If you're talking a discrete 'module' then leading probably uses a
matte tin plating, which shouldn't be a problem for tin/lead solder.
Maybe need a bit more temp than with lead/tin plating to get good
wetting, but less than needed for lead free solder.

BGAs are another matter since they, if RoHS compliant devices, will
already have lead free solder bumps (often/usually SAC) and trying to
mix those with a tin/lead solder profile can be problematic, because
of the temperature mismatch, although solvable from what I hear.

We use ROHS BGAs with leaded and lead-free solder, and it all works
fine. We prefer leaded solder of course, and use it on US aerospace
stuff, but we do lead-free for our european customers, who are
presumably less pickey about their airplanes falling out of the sky.
At least they don't spread any lead around when they crash.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Raveninghorde wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:51:40 -0700, Tim Wescott
On 03/31/2011 02:38 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

Other than making it RoHS non-compliant?

I use 60/40 solder for prototyping, with a mix of RoHS and non-RoHs
components. I haven't had problems -- but I haven't tried to get
anything through environmental cert, either.

60/40 for reliability, tin solder for compliance.

63/37 is the eutectic alloy. I've never noticed a difference in performance
with 60/40, but I feel better about it. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Larkin wrote:
[...]

Probably more like they're more programmed for obedience than us rough-
and-tumble American rebels. ;-)

At least they don't spread any lead around when they crash.

True. But I do wonder what's the status of fluorescent lamps there. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tim Wescott wrote:
On 03/31/2011 02:38 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

Other than making it RoHS non-compliant?

I use 60/40 solder for prototyping, with a mix of RoHS and non-RoHs
components. I haven't had problems -- but I haven't tried to get
anything through environmental cert, either.

At ordinary operating temperatures, no problems.
But SMT parts will tend to dislodge at temps 170C and higher; that is
seen even if one starts with HASL PCB and uses tin-silver solder (paste
or wire).
ANY amount of tin-lead significantly lowers the MP.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I do it all (most) of the time.... no-one knows, no-one cares and no-one
checks....

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Robert Baer wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

...Jim Thompson

At ordinary operating temperatures, no problems.
But SMT parts will tend to dislodge at temps 170C and higher; that
is seen even if one starts with HASL PCB and uses tin-silver solder
(paste or wire).
ANY amount of tin-lead significantly lowers the MP.

Does anything run at 170C, especially SMT?

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

...Jim Thompson

At ordinary operating temperatures, no problems.
But SMT parts will tend to dislodge at temps 170C and higher; that
is seen even if one starts with HASL PCB and uses tin-silver solder
(paste or wire).
ANY amount of tin-lead significantly lowers the MP.

Does anything run at 170C, especially SMT?

Let me put it this way..i make and sell high voltage shunt regulators
guaranteed to operate up to 204C (400F).
They were originally intended to be solid state replacements for the
discontinued Victoreen Corotron(TM) regulators.
But some companies still use these in new tools for the oil patch.

RoHS/PbF for customers N_Cook Electronics Repair 4 April 25th 10 10:23 PM
latest Euro ROHS fun bob urz Electronics Repair 35 December 11th 09 12:42 AM
ROHS Myths Bob Urz Electronics Repair 5 January 14th 08 09:21 AM
OT-ish - RoHS Compliance Tournifreak UK diy 18 April 21st 06 10:14 PM
RoHS compliant product. meirman Electronics Repair 3 October 6th 05 09:07 PM