Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ROHS Myths

http://www.edn.com/article/ca6477864...rid=1854043180

Bob
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
http://www.edn.com/article/ca6477864...rid=1854043180

I am emphatically in favor of agressive government intervention when and
where appropriate. This does not seem to be one of those cases.

Does anyone have any definitive information about whether the lead from
tin/lead solder leaches into the ground water?

By the way, the growth of tin whiskers has been known at least as long as
tin organ pipes have existed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It certainly is NOT a myth that ROHS solder is harder to use, and causes
many, many more failed
connections than original solder.

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
http://www.edn.com/article/ca6477864...rid=1854043180

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

NewsGroups wrote:

It certainly is NOT a myth that ROHS solder is harder to use, and causes
many, many more failed connections than original solder.

What's your experience with it ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

NewsGroups wrote:

It certainly is NOT a myth that ROHS solder is harder to use, and causes
many, many more failed connections than original solder.

What's your experience with it ?

I've dealt with it quite a bit, the joints look dull, they're far more prone
to cracking, touching them up with regular solder doesn't work, I have to
suck off the old solder and start over. Even then it doesn't make as nice a
joint as tin/lead stuff on old style component leads.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message

NewsGroups wrote:

It certainly is NOT a myth that ROHS solder is harder to use, and causes
many, many more failed connections than original solder.

What's your experience with it ?

I've dealt with it quite a bit, the joints look dull, they're far more
prone to cracking, touching them up with regular solder doesn't work, I
have to suck off the old solder and start over. Even then it doesn't make
as nice a joint as tin/lead stuff on old style component leads.

Agreed on every point. And my experience is that I repair equipment built
with the rotten stuff, every day of my working life ...

Arfa