Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
WangoTango WangoTango is offline

Default RoHS Question

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:19:21 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:38:44 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Any issues with soldering to an RoHS-compliant module with ordinary
60/40 solder?

...Jim Thompson

If you're talking a discrete 'module' then leading probably uses a
matte tin plating, which shouldn't be a problem for tin/lead solder.
Maybe need a bit more temp than with lead/tin plating to get good
wetting, but less than needed for lead free solder.

BGAs are another matter since they, if RoHS compliant devices, will
already have lead free solder bumps (often/usually SAC) and trying to
mix those with a tin/lead solder profile can be problematic, because
of the temperature mismatch, although solvable from what I hear.

We use ROHS BGAs with leaded and lead-free solder, and it all works
fine. We prefer leaded solder of course, and use it on US aerospace
stuff, but we do lead-free for our european customers, who are
presumably less pickey about their airplanes falling out of the sky.
At least they don't spread any lead around when they crash.

John

I thought telecom and aeronautics were exempt.