Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Soldering Iron Recommendations?

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

Each to their own, but the WLC100 is ok...

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

I have one, good for general stuff. Temperature control isn't really
good, looks like just a triac control to the heating element. As a
result its easy to burn thru tips. If I had to do it again I'd go with
WES51 or the WESD51.
Or a Hakko
http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Soldering-Station-Safe-Digital/dp/B000AS3MMU

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:04:50 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

I have one, good for general stuff. Temperature control isn't really
good, looks like just a triac control to the heating element. As a
result its easy to burn thru tips. If I had to do it again I'd go with
WES51 or the WESD51.
Or a Hakko
http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Soldering-Station-Safe-Digital/dp/B000AS3MMU

Cheers

WES51 looks AOK, ordered, Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:34:41 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

Fix it! That's what I did when mine fell apart, and I couldn't be
happier.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

I splurged on an Edsyn 951SX about ten years ago, and running it
8/5/365 I've gone through two tips in all that time.

It is a real workhorse.

Jim
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:34:53 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:34:41 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

Fix it! That's what I did when mine fell apart, and I couldn't be
happier.

What kind of soldering station would you reccommend to do the repair
work?

It would cost more to re-cable, re-connector, replace the cracked
base, than to buy new.

I ordered the WES51.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

I splurged on an Edsyn 951SX about ten years ago, and running it
8/5/365 I've gone through two tips in all that time.

It is a real workhorse.

Jim

Wow!!! Ten years ago, and they are still on the market.

Not a bad price scale either. If I was looking, I'd buy one.

Bill

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:34:41 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

Fix it! That's what I did when mine fell apart, and I couldn't be
happier.

What kind of soldering station would you reccommend to do the repair
work?

It would cost more to re-cable, re-connector, replace the cracked
base, than to buy new.

I ordered the WES51.

I was just trying to solve the Zen puzzle of how one would fix a
soldering station with itself.

Zen can't solder worth a damn, no matter what he uses. ;-)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:34:41 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

Fix it! That's what I did when mine fell apart, and I couldn't be
happier.

What kind of soldering station would you reccommend to do the repair
work?

It would cost more to re-cable, re-connector, replace the cracked
base, than to buy new.

Is the iron still good? I have a spare base (or more) but no irons
left. A so called 'engineer' recently bragged about throwing away about
35 irons that were intermittent. He was happy that the other irons
three worked. Sort of. Most of the time.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Since Weller became Cooper Tools, the bean counters took over the asylum -
they cut corners on manufacturing and reliability went down the gurgler.

When my last Weller fell to bits I bought an Antex 25W iron as a stop gap,
and have been using Antex ever since.

I did treat myself to a 50W Antex TC iron but TBH I don't see much advantage
over the standard X25.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:48:12 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Since Weller became Cooper Tools, the bean counters took over the asylum -
they cut corners on manufacturing and reliability went down the gurgler.

When my last Weller fell to bits I bought an Antex 25W iron as a stop gap,
and have been using Antex ever since.

I did treat myself to a 50W Antex TC iron but TBH I don't see much advantage
over the standard X25.

The Metcals are the best irons. The SP200 system is about $290. They
warm up in seconds and have impressive heat control.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

Hi Jim,

I too, have an aged WTCP that has been repaired several times. The heater
and thermal switch have both been changed over the years. Still use it for
the heavy stuff with 600 to 800F tips.

When we started to do some SMT work, I bought a cheapie (it was $100 at the
time) JF96ESD through Ameritronics
http://www.ameritronics.com/digital_...s_ESD_safe.htm

Nice thing is that it is variable temperature. We were making the change
from Tin/Lead solder to Lead Free and I wanted to be able to experiment with
different working temperatures. Mostly this is used by itself but for larger
work that involves ground planes, we have a zephytronics hot air fountain
(130-150C) for pre-heating.

Only problem I've had with the JF96 is that the cord between the base and
handle developed an open circuit. Found where the open was and spliced it
back together. Been working for about 3 years since without any further
problems.

Sort of funny working days with an esd safe SMT iron and at nights, doing
artwork with an arc welder and OxAcet torch.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message

I was just trying to solve the Zen puzzle of how one would fix a
soldering station with itself.

Sort of like when your reading glasses break, how can you see to fix them...

btw- on the topic of Zen-
Q: What did the Zen master say to the hot dog vendor?
A: "Make me one with everything"

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Oppie wrote:
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message

I was just trying to solve the Zen puzzle of how one would fix
soldering station with itself.

Sort of like when your reading glasses break, how can you see
to fix
them...

Some people have backup glasses (I do). Some people have backup
soldering irons (I have a $3 non-temperature controlled piece
that I'm quite skilled with).

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:48:12 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Since Weller became Cooper Tools, the bean counters took over the asylum -
they cut corners on manufacturing and reliability went down the gurgler.

When my last Weller fell to bits I bought an Antex 25W iron as a stop gap,
and have been using Antex ever since.

I did treat myself to a 50W Antex TC iron but TBH I don't see much
advantage
over the standard X25.

The Metcals are the best irons. The SP200 system is about $290. They
warm up in seconds and have impressive heat control.

John

He said "cheapy replacement", the Antex irons are cheap as chips and last
for years.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:34:33 +0530, "pimpom"
wrote:

Oppie wrote:
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message

I was just trying to solve the Zen puzzle of how one would fix
soldering station with itself.

Sort of like when your reading glasses break, how can you see
to fix
them...

Some people have backup glasses (I do).

Those of us who are myopic just get closer (though there are limits,
especially when cutting, grinding, soldering etc.)

Some people have backup
soldering irons (I have a $3 non-temperature controlled piece
that I'm quite skilled with).

I could even dig up an old, essentially unused, Weller soldering gun
if I had to. Or a fairly decent butane powered soldering iron.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"ian field" wrote in message

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Since Weller became Cooper Tools, the bean counters took over the asylum -
they cut corners on manufacturing and reliability went down the gurgler.

When my last Weller fell to bits I bought an Antex 25W iron as a stop gap,
and have been using Antex ever since.

I did treat myself to a 50W Antex TC iron but TBH I don't see much
advantage over the standard X25.

Interesting - Antex used to be rubbish many years ago, Wellers were far
better.

Ian

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:18:49 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:48:12 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Sorry, I don't do cheapy. Some of us can afford ten cents a day to
have the best soldering gear.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:48:12 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

When I got out the Weller, it was the first time in more than a year
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Oppie wrote:

Sort of like when your reading glasses break, how can you see
to fix
them...

Some people have backup glasses (I do).

Those of us who are myopic just get closer (though there are
limits,
especially when cutting, grinding, soldering etc.)

I didn't know how lucky I was until I began to grow longsighted
in my late 40s. Before that, I could focus from infinity down to
perhaps 3 inches. I could count individual dots on a glossy
magazine cover without any difficulty and also read typewritten
text from 15 ft across a dimly lit room. Now I can read a
newspaper without glasses by holding it at least 10 inches away,
but can only do it comfortably in good light.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"pimpom" wrote in message
I didn't know how lucky I was until I began to grow longsighted in my late
40s. Before that, I could focus from infinity down to perhaps 3 inches. I
could count individual dots on a glossy magazine cover without any
difficulty and also read typewritten text from 15 ft across a dimly lit
room. Now I can read a newspaper without glasses by holding it at least 10
inches away, but can only do it comfortably in good light.

Ain't it great aging gracefully ;)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Oppie wrote:
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message

I was just trying to solve the Zen puzzle of how one would fix
soldering station with itself.

Sort of like when your reading glasses break, how can you see
to fix
them...

Some people have backup glasses (I do).

Those of us who are myopic just get closer (though there are limits,
especially when cutting, grinding, soldering etc.)

Some people have backup
soldering irons (I have a $3 non-temperature controlled piece
that I'm quite skilled with).

I could even dig up an old, essentially unused, Weller soldering gun
if I had to. Or a fairly decent butane powered soldering iron.

Years ago I bought a cheap soldering gun (god only knows why!), a few weeks
later someone donated a nearly new genuine Weller - I can't recall ever
having used either!

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Ian" wrote in message

"ian field" wrote in message

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Since Weller became Cooper Tools, the bean counters took over the
asylum - they cut corners on manufacturing and reliability went down the
gurgler.

When my last Weller fell to bits I bought an Antex 25W iron as a stop
gap, and have been using Antex ever since.

I did treat myself to a 50W Antex TC iron but TBH I don't see much
advantage over the standard X25.

Interesting - Antex used to be rubbish many years ago, Wellers were far
better.

Yes I remember when Weller irons were worth having (a very long time ago).

A company I worked for bought out a competitor and dumped all the stuff they
didn't want in a spare loading bay with a sign; "help yourself". - I grabbed
a large box of Weller irons that had been taken apart and not put back
together.

That collection lasted me many years, but as the spares got older and
scruffier it got harder to maintain a reliable iron - so I bought a brand
new one.

By this time Weller had become Cooper Tools and quality had gone down the
gurgler. In the new iron, the thermostat went S/C in less than 2 weeks -
Cooper Tools sent me a replacement FOC - which lasted almost a month before
going S/C and burning out the element.

After buying a new element, I decided not to let that happen again, so I
modified an old stat with an opto-interrupter to detect the position of the
curie-magnet pushrod. With suitable circuitry to control a triac in the base
unit I got a few more years out of it before the cheaper plating on the tip
caused a tip to burst with copper oxide inside the element tube - making it
impossible to remove without destroying the element.

The only problems I've had with Antex irons is the very fine element wire
can be susceptible if your local supply has bad spikes - but it wasn't just
irons suffering damage until I installed spike suppressors.
110V versions would probably be much more robust in this regard.

The other problem is they can snap if dropped, but the only time I've had
that happen, the lead was coiled up around the handle.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Oppie wrote:
[...]

They are not bad for checking EMI immunity. ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

ian field wrote:

Years ago I bought a cheap soldering gun (god only knows why!), a few weeks
later someone donated a nearly new genuine Weller - I can't recall ever
having used either!

I used Weller guns for decades, back in the tube days. I bought the
first in '66 and still have a couple. I put a 12 foot coiled AC cord on
one of them that was kept at the bench. They were used on service calls
where you didn't have time to wait for a soldering iron to heat up, then
cool down.

I also have a Wen soldering gun like this:
http://bmwdean.home.att.net/soldergun.htm

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Oppie wrote:

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message

I was just trying to solve the Zen puzzle of how one would fix a
soldering station with itself.

Sort of like when your reading glasses break, how can you see to fix them...

If the first attempt at making a drawing board had been a failure,
what would they go back to?

Jim's stone tablets and chisels, of course! ;-)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:36:53 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany
wrote in
:

wrote:

Oppie wrote:
[...]

I did that by switching the Weller on/off, one could make a PC crash with it.
(back EMF transformer).
I have a much better one now:
http://www.testberichte.de/test/prod..._p59 358.html
Just got some new tips.
Temperature control is excellent too.
Auto switch off if you forget it.
Been in use now for many years!
And was a fraction of teh price of a Weller.
The old Weller element broke down (really Weller is a piece of **** if you look
at the construction) and the only part left is that transformer with the big back EMF.
Soldering guns should be outlawed in electronics :-)

The other thing is I used Weller tips at 370°C, but now I solder 60/40 with 320°C, tips live longer.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In article , John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:48:12 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Since Weller became Cooper Tools, the bean counters took over the asylum -
they cut corners on manufacturing and reliability went down the gurgler.

When my last Weller fell to bits I bought an Antex 25W iron as a stop gap,
and have been using Antex ever since.

I did treat myself to a 50W Antex TC iron but TBH I don't see much advantage
over the standard X25.

The Metcals are the best irons. The SP200 system is about $290. They
warm up in seconds and have impressive heat control.

For the price it sounds good. Looks like it has a small handle, but my Weller may be smaller,
and its 80 WATTS.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:34:41 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

Fix it! That's what I did when mine fell apart, and I couldn't be
happier.

What kind of soldering station would you reccommend to do the repair
work?

It would cost more to re-cable, re-connector, replace the cracked
base, than to buy new.

I ordered the WES51.

...Jim Thompson

I have never before owned a soldering station with a temperature
control. What's the best setting (60%Sn/40%Pb)?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

Better to use 63Sn 37Pb (eutectic) rather than 60/40-- it doesn't go
through 'mushy' on the way from liquid to solid.

I generally use around 600°F. The WES51 auto-shutoff is a nice feature
compared to the older WTCPN- it detects inactivity and shuts down
after a delay.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

My all-time favorite is a Weller EC1302B iron, next choice is the EC1201
for the larger stuff. There are several stations that will run these
irons. You can still get cord sets, temp sensors and heating elements
as replaceable parts for the irons. The tips are ingeniously simple and
quite durable. I don't like their platings as much for lead-free, they
need a lot of re-tinning.

But, these are getting quite obsolete, too, so I am moving over to the
Weller WSL box and the WMP micro pencil. The tips are reasonable, the
heat flow is pretty awesome, I go from 0.4 mm lead pitch micro soldering
to fooling with wide ground planes and such with the same iron.

I demand a digital temp readout, so cheapy stations are not useful to
me. You can get good stuff on eBay with a little patience.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

I have never before owned a soldering station with a temperature
control. What's the best setting (60%Sn/40%Pb)?

Whew, glad you are coming in from the dark ages! I generally use 650 F
for general work, but in cases of really fragile boards or parts, will
turn it down to 600 F. 63/37 solder melts at 424 F, but you need to
account for thermal resistance in the tip and heat sink effects at the
joint. Also, it is often better to run the iron a bit hotter and get
the soldering work done quickly than run the iron at the bare minimum
temp and have to heat the joint for a LONG time to get the solder to melt.

For lead-free work, I have to run the iron at about 700 F for light
stuff, and 750 where heavy traces and power components sink the heat away.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:22:47 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I have never before owned a soldering station with a temperature
control. What's the best setting (60%Sn/40%Pb)?

Whew, glad you are coming in from the dark ages!

From the mid '60's onward I always had a technician, so I did very
little soldering, except maybe patching a breadboard.

So my own tools see rare use only for my "G-job" projects.

Not that I've lost the skills... I hung out in my Dad's TV repair shop
from around age 12, and I tech'd in MIT's Building 20 MHD Lab for 4
years for income needs not covered by my scholarship.

I generally use 650 F
for general work, but in cases of really fragile boards or parts, will
turn it down to 600 F. 63/37 solder melts at 424 F, but you need to
account for thermal resistance in the tip and heat sink effects at the
joint. Also, it is often better to run the iron a bit hotter and get
the soldering work done quickly than run the iron at the bare minimum
temp and have to heat the joint for a LONG time to get the solder to melt.

For lead-free work, I have to run the iron at about 700 F for light
stuff, and 750 where heavy traces and power components sink the heat away.

Jon

I have several BIG spools of 60/40 dating from late '80's ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In article , To-Email-Use-
says...

I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

http://tinyurl.com/yz8clzm

I've got the 15845 TL and love it. Even got to crank it up to max to
solder two heat sink posts to a board today.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

:I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
:disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.
:
:I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.
:
:What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...
:
: Weller WLC100 Soldering Station
:
: ...Jim Thompson

Since the WTCPT has served so well for so long, why change? When my 30 yr old
WTCPT faded and died a couple of years back I just went out and bought a new
one. Value for money is still quite good imo. Failing that, I would recommend
Hakko.