Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Oppie[_6_] Oppie[_6_] is offline

Default Soldering Iron Recommendations?

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have an absolutely ancient Weller WTCPN soldering station that is
disintegrating... it's probably at least 33 years old.

I don't have any need for surface mount sophistication.

What are people's thoughts on a cheapy replacement such as...

Weller WLC100 Soldering Station

...Jim Thompson

Hi Jim,

I too, have an aged WTCP that has been repaired several times. The heater
and thermal switch have both been changed over the years. Still use it for
the heavy stuff with 600 to 800F tips.

When we started to do some SMT work, I bought a cheapie (it was $100 at the
time) JF96ESD through Ameritronics
http://www.ameritronics.com/digital_...s_ESD_safe.htm

Nice thing is that it is variable temperature. We were making the change
from Tin/Lead solder to Lead Free and I wanted to be able to experiment with
different working temperatures. Mostly this is used by itself but for larger
work that involves ground planes, we have a zephytronics hot air fountain
(130-150C) for pre-heating.

Only problem I've had with the JF96 is that the cord between the base and
handle developed an open circuit. Found where the open was and spliced it
back together. Been working for about 3 years since without any further
problems.

Sort of funny working days with an esd safe SMT iron and at nights, doing
artwork with an arc welder and OxAcet torch.