Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default My lab (from sed)

Attached Thumbnails
My lab (from sed)-lab01-jpg  My lab (from sed)-lab02-jpg  My lab (from sed)-lab03-jpg  My lab (from sed)-lab04-jpg  My lab (from sed)-lab05-jpg

My lab (from sed)-lab06-jpg  My lab (from sed)-lab07-jpg  My lab (from sed)-lab08-jpg  My lab (from sed)-lab09-jpg  My lab (from sed)-lab11-jpg

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lab10.JPG (217.9 KB, 58 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Looks like a converted garage?

Do you still use that D-sized plotter? :-)

That cat looks awfully dead in the 2nd photo, lying on top of the computer.
:-) Hmm... and a second one on the car... how many of those critters do you
have!?

I like your drill press-cum-mill...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 14:42:32 -0600, the renowned John Fields
wrote:

Nice, John.

Where did you get that cool 24-hour wall clock?

and

What's in that photo below your company name?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 08:05:45 -0800, Fred Abse
wrote:

KERRIST!

That carpet's clean. How to you get the entangled wire offcuts out?

---
What are "offcuts"?

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 09:31:35 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

Looks like a converted garage?

---
Bingo!

We downsized about a year ago, and since I'm not doing much hardware
production any more, it's perfect for development.
---

Do you still use that D-sized plotter? :-)

---
ANSI A to E size, actually, but generally no.
---

That cat looks awfully dead in the 2nd photo, lying on top of the computer.
:-) Hmm... and a second one on the car... how many of those critters do you
have!?

---
Three; Monty, Missy, and Josie.

Monty was the dead-pretend guy on the Windows box, Missy was asleep on
the chair, and Josie refuses to pose...
---

I like your drill press-cum-mill...

---
Thanks. :-)

I worry a little about side-loading the bearings in the quill but, so
far so good.

JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Fred Abse Inscribed thus:

wrote:

KERRIST!

That carpet's clean. How to you get the entangled wire offcuts out?

---
What are "offcuts"?

JF

You joshing me?

Bits of wire trimmed off components that seem to get everywhere.

Don't get many "offcuts" from SMT. ;-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default My lab (from sed) - Find a way.JPG

wrote:

Nice, John.

Where did you get that cool 24-hour wall clock?

---
WW Grainger.

On the clock it says: "Dayton model 5H571", but a search at Grainger's
shows an entirely different face.
---

and

What's in that photo below your company name?

---
My favorite poster, attached. :-)

JF

Attached Thumbnails
My lab (from sed)-find-way-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

KERRIST!

That carpet's clean. How to you get the entangled wire offcuts out?

---
What are "offcuts"?

JF

You joshing me?

Bits of wire trimmed off components that seem to get everywhere.

---
I mostly work barefoot and in PJ's, so I'm careful about what falls on
the floor.

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

KERRIST!

That carpet's clean. How to you get the entangled wire offcuts out?

---
What are "offcuts"?

JF

You joshing me?

Bits of wire trimmed off components that seem to get everywhere.

---
I mostly work barefoot and in PJ's, so I'm careful about what falls on
the floor.

JF

I often work in just my socks, but regular clothes :-) I meticulously
save any clips of consequential length (and the Teflon wire scraps),
to use as jumpers on my bread-boarding system:

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BreadBoard.jpg

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

KERRIST!

That carpet's clean. How to you get the entangled wire offcuts out?

---
What are "offcuts"?

JF

You joshing me?

Bits of wire trimmed off components that seem to get everywhere.

---
I mostly work barefoot and in PJ's, so I'm careful about what falls on
the floor.

JF

I often work in just my socks, but regular clothes :-) I meticulously
save any clips of consequential length (and the Teflon wire scraps),
to use as jumpers on my bread-boarding system:

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BreadBoard.jpg

...Jim Thompson
--

Being a Spice guy, I wouldn't have thought you did much bread boarding.

If anyone knows a good source for those double sided perf boards (power
planes top/bottom and isolated holes, like Jim's pic, over the entire
board), anti up. Those seem to be hard to find at a good price. perfect
for wirewraping.

Here's the Vectors series, I think. As usual, Digikey thinks they are
made of gold
http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Vector%20PDFs/Eurocard%20Prototyping%20Boards.pdf

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:24:13 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

KERRIST!

That carpet's clean. How to you get the entangled wire offcuts out?

---
What are "offcuts"?

JF

You joshing me?

Bits of wire trimmed off components that seem to get everywhere.

---
I mostly work barefoot and in PJ's, so I'm careful about what falls on
the floor.

JF

I often work in just my socks, but regular clothes :-) I meticulously
save any clips of consequential length (and the Teflon wire scraps),
to use as jumpers on my bread-boarding system:

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BreadBoard.jpg

...Jim Thompson
--

Being a Spice guy, I wouldn't have thought you did much bread boarding.

Not for chip designs... for my "G-jobs"... I tinker a lot with
home-brew gadgets, like aircraft noise trackers, school bus
annunciators, light controls via the street light sensor, etc ;-)

If anyone knows a good source for those double sided perf boards (power
planes top/bottom and isolated holes, like Jim's pic, over the entire
board), anti up. Those seem to be hard to find at a good price. perfect
for wirewraping.

I laid that out myself while I was at GenRad, to ease bread-boarding
of analog I/C's from so-called "kit parts". I may still have the
original films around here somewhere (I save everything :-)

I'm just about out of scraps from that system (after 33 years :-)...
they were one-foot-square to start!

So I'm considering making a six-socket version for my G-job needs...
maybe run it thru one of those cheapy PCB houses (it's only
2-layers/sided)... maybe add some surface mount type pads.

Here's the Vectors series, I think. As usual, Digikey thinks they are
made of gold
http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Vector%20PDFs/Eurocard%20Prototyping%20Boards.pdf

Cheers

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:24:13 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

For fairly high-speed (~100MHz) prototypes which need double-sided
copper, I like to use Vector's 169P44C2 cut down as needed, their T44
terminals to carry parts on one side and wiring on the other, and a 1/8"
drill to _judiciously_ remove the copper from around the holes where the
terminals need to be pressed in and connect to neither the power nor the
ground plane.

I've used their pad-cutting tool and found it to be absolutely worthless
after a couple of cuts, so I now use a vanilla 1/8" drill bit, in a
drill press, with the depth of cut set to just barely remove a 1/8"
diameter disk of copper around the isolated hole.

I've got some photos, somewhere, which illustrate the concept and, if
you're interested, I'll go find them and post them.

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

One should always let a cat do the quality control
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields Inscribed thus:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:24:13 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

[...]

What happened to those "Doughnut drills" ? I haven't seen any about for
a few years.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 20:34:46 +0000, Baron
wrote:

John Fields Inscribed thus:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:24:13 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

[...]

I still have one. You can make pads if you're careful.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson Inscribed thus:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 20:34:46 +0000, Baron
wrote:

John Fields Inscribed thus:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:24:13 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I used to have some. A kit of five in a little plastic box. I think
they came from Tandy (UK). Mine have gone walk about a long time ago.
They were very useful. It would be nice to replace them.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 14:42:32 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

Nothing wrong with a little pussy at work.

{;-)

Jim
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 20:35:03 -0600, John Fields wrote:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:24:13 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

You might try lip and spur type drill bits, used carefully with a drill
press it can cut nice copper donuts out of the copper cladding.
They are somewhat related to Forstner bits.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 20:34:46 +0000, Baron
wrote:

John Fields Inscribed thus:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:24:13 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields Inscribed thus:

wrote:

What happened to those "Doughnut drills" ? I haven't seen any about
for a few years.

JF

??

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields Inscribed thus:

wrote:

What happened to those "Doughnut drills" ? I haven't seen any about
for a few years.

JF

??

LOL, another blast from the past.

I have one in the same box as my WW gun. :-)

hamilton

PS: If I can find that box, I'll post a pics.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"hamilton" wrote in message
PS: If I can find that box, I'll post a pics.

There's an illustration he
http://www.njqrp.org/islanderpadcutter/index.html ; they have an entire
article about them he
http://www.njqrp.org/islanderpadcutt...r%20Manual.pdf

This web page claims they're used by stained glass and lapidary hobbyists as
well, and still available with some looking:
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/Prototyping.htm

Google can find lots more information...

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:28:57 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
PS: If I can find that box, I'll post a pics.

There's an illustration he
http://www.njqrp.org/islanderpadcutter/index.html ; they have an entire
article about them he
http://www.njqrp.org/islanderpadcutt...r%20Manual.pdf

This web page claims they're used by stained glass and lapidary hobbyists as
well, and still available with some looking:
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/Prototyping.htm

Google can find lots more information...

---Joel

Somewhere in my junk box I have one that cuts the donut AND drills a
hole for leaded components.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"hamilton" wrote in message
PS: If I can find that box, I'll post a pics.

There's an illustration he
http://www.njqrp.org/islanderpadcutter/index.html ; they have an
entire article about them he
http://www.njqrp.org/islanderpadcutt...r%20Manual.pdf

This web page claims they're used by stained glass and lapidary
hobbyists as well, and still available with some looking:
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/Prototyping.htm

Google can find lots more information...

---Joel

Somewhere in my junk box I have one that cuts the donut AND drills a
hole for leaded components.

...Jim Thompson

Yes those are the ones I was referring to.
I used to have a small wooden box with several in. You could create a
circular pad with .75mm hole in the centre.

The actual drill was secured by pressure from the chuck on the
tri-fluted shaft.

The diamond pad cutter requires a drill stand and a solid hold on the
board.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.