Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
baron baron is offline

Default My lab (from sed)

Jim Thompson Inscribed thus:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 20:34:46 +0000, Baron
wrote:

John Fields Inscribed thus:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:24:13 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:51:45 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 01:09:12 -0800, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:05:02 -0600, John Fields wrote:

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 08:05:45 -0800, Fred Abse
wrote:

KERRIST!

That carpet's clean. How to you get the entangled wire offcuts
out?

---
What are "offcuts"?

JF

You joshing me?

Bits of wire trimmed off components that seem to get everywhere.

---
I mostly work barefoot and in PJ's, so I'm careful about what
falls on the floor.

JF

I often work in just my socks, but regular clothes :-) I
meticulously save any clips of consequential length (and the
Teflon wire scraps), to use as jumpers on my bread-boarding
system:

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BreadBoard.jpg

...Jim Thompson
--

Being a Spice guy, I wouldn't have thought you did much bread
boarding.

If anyone knows a good source for those double sided perf boards
(power planes top/bottom and isolated holes, like Jim's pic, over
the entire
board), anti up. Those seem to be hard to find at a good price.
perfect for wirewraping.

Here's the Vectors series, I think. As usual, Digikey thinks they
are made of gold
http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Vector%20PDFs/Eurocard%20Prototyping%20Boards.pdf

---
For fairly high-speed (~100MHz) prototypes which need double-sided
copper, I like to use Vector's 169P44C2 cut down as needed, their
T44 terminals to carry parts on one side and wiring on the other,
and a 1/8" drill to _judiciously_ remove the copper from around the
holes where the terminals need to be pressed in and connect to
neither the power nor the ground plane.

I've used their pad-cutting tool and found it to be absolutely
worthless after a couple of cuts, so I now use a vanilla 1/8" drill
bit, in a drill press, with the depth of cut set to just barely
remove a 1/8" diameter disk of copper around the isolated hole.

I've got some photos, somewhere, which illustrate the concept and,
if you're interested, I'll go find them and post them.

JF

What happened to those "Doughnut drills" ? I haven't seen any about
for a few years.

I still have one. You can make pads if you're careful.

...Jim Thompson

I used to have some. A kit of five in a little plastic box. I think
they came from Tandy (UK). Mine have gone walk about a long time ago.
They were very useful. It would be nice to replace them.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.