Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default RF Transmissivity Question

This stuff...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BehindTheMirror.jpg

screen printed (?) on your windshield behind your rear-view mirror.

What is it? If I locate a radar detector behind it, will it
significantly attenuate the radar signal strength ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
This stuff...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BehindTheMirror.jpg

screen printed (?) on your windshield behind your rear-view mirror.

What is it? If I locate a radar detector behind it, will it
significantly attenuate the radar signal strength ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

That is a black painted mask that prevents the UV rays from breaking
down the adhesive that is used to mount the windshield.
Its speckled on the edges to blend in.

Laser yes, radar probably. The Tint also affects performance.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:34:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

This stuff...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BehindTheMirror.jpg

screen printed (?) on your windshield behind your rear-view mirror.

What is it? If I locate a radar detector behind it, will it
significantly attenuate the radar signal strength ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

It is simply an optical attenuator. As in looking at the mirror at a
specific orientation could have the sun just past it. That keeps the
glare from happening, allowing one to utilize the mirror trouble free.
Optically speaking.

I doubt seriously that it was metallic ink or that it would be anything
other than transparent to RF.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

This stuff...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BehindTheMirror.jpg

screen printed (?) on your windshield behind your rear-view mirror.

What is it?

It doesn't appear to be a radio antenna. Possibly a sun screen to block
sunlight that would otherwise leak between the sun visors and interfere
with the use of the rear view mirror.

If I locate a radar detector behind it, will it
significantly attenuate the radar signal strength ?:-)

Depends on what its made out of. If its metallic, then I'd guess 'Yes'.

Find one of those annoying radar speed signs (fixed, low power, continuous
source*). Park just at the threshold of your detector's picking it up. Move
the detector back and forth from behind this screen to clear windshield and
see if that makes a difference.

*Be careful about assuming that these signs use a constant transmit level.
One in my neighborhood pulses until it detects an oncoming vehicle. Then it
switches to continuous mode.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:45:45 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
This stuff...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BehindTheMirror.jpg

screen printed (?) on your windshield behind your rear-view mirror.

What is it? If I locate a radar detector behind it, will it
significantly attenuate the radar signal strength ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

That is a black painted mask that prevents the UV rays from breaking
down the adhesive that is used to mount the windshield.
Its speckled on the edges to blend in.

Laser yes, radar probably. The Tint also affects performance.

Cheers

Except that UV does not affect the adhesive used on mirrors. At
least not on a GM product.

That must be a ****ing Ford. You know... the idiots that used the same,
runny windshield putty for twenty years after ALL of their customers
complained about it. They ain't real bright.

Also, why do you think an 8 inch square patch is needed to curb light
from hitting a 1 inch square glue area?

I'd say that you made it up.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"BillyPilgrim" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

[...]

Yea ok, as least I had a valid contribution to this thread....

http://www.wonderquest.com/windshield-dots.htm

You can also search for 'windshield frit'
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=frit+windshield&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 21:17:01 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"BillyPilgrim" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

[...]

"The outside of the enamel band shades the adhesive from the Sun and
protects it from ultraviolet radiation."

That is the windshield adhesive, not the mirror adhesive.

You can also search for 'windshield frit'
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=frit+windshield&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I will not fritter myself to the task, but if you give me a button, I
will push it.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 21:17:01 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"BillyPilgrim" wrote
in message ...

[snip]

That must be a ****ing Ford. You know... the idiots that used the
same,
runny windshield putty for twenty years after ALL of their customers
complained about it. They ain't real bright.

NymNoNuts wouldn't know his ass from a hole-in-the-ground. It's a
Q45. And, if he paid attention, he'd know I hate Ford products... got
the never-again-training from a '77 LTD ;-)

Also, why do you think an 8 inch square patch is needed to curb light
from hitting a 1 inch square glue area?

I'd say that you made it up.

Yea ok, as least I had a valid contribution to this thread....

http://www.wonderquest.com/windshield-dots.htm

You can also search for 'windshield frit'
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=frit+windshield&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Cheers

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, but without ANY scruples,
masquerading in politically-correct black-face.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 21:17:01 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"BillyPilgrim" wrote
in message ...

[snip]

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 07:39:37 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

It's a
Q45.

Retarded UnAmerican asshole buys foreign, and then calls everyone else
"leftist weenies".

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 21:17:01 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"BillyPilgrim" wrote
in message ...

[snip]

That must be a ****ing Ford. You know... the idiots that used the
same,
runny windshield putty for twenty years after ALL of their customers
complained about it. They ain't real bright.

NymNoNuts wouldn't know his ass from a hole-in-the-ground. It's a
Q45. And, if he paid attention, he'd know I hate Ford products... got
the never-again-training from a '77 LTD ;-)

One of the local ford dealers is running a lot of Cash for Clunkers
commercials right now. Why would I want to pay cash for a Ford?