Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default RF Transmissivity Question

Jim Thompson wrote:

This stuff...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BehindTheMirror.jpg

screen printed (?) on your windshield behind your rear-view mirror.

What is it?

It doesn't appear to be a radio antenna. Possibly a sun screen to block
sunlight that would otherwise leak between the sun visors and interfere
with the use of the rear view mirror.

If I locate a radar detector behind it, will it
significantly attenuate the radar signal strength ?:-)

Depends on what its made out of. If its metallic, then I'd guess 'Yes'.

Find one of those annoying radar speed signs (fixed, low power, continuous
source*). Park just at the threshold of your detector's picking it up. Move
the detector back and forth from behind this screen to clear windshield and
see if that makes a difference.

*Be careful about assuming that these signs use a constant transmit level.
One in my neighborhood pulses until it detects an oncoming vehicle. Then it
switches to continuous mode.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.