Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Micro-Rel Badge - Micro-Rel-Badge.jpg

See attachment for laugh of the day

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Attached Thumbnails
Micro-Rel Badge - Micro-Rel-Badge.jpg-micro-rel-badge-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

See attachment for laugh of the day

So, you've always been a scruffy character?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Gee, you almost look like your might be a hummus-eating sandal-wearing
leftist-leaning ex-hippie in that picture!

Clearly one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, as the saying goes. :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , Jim Thompson
writes

See attachment for laugh of the day

...Jim Thompson

I always wondered what happened to the fabulous furry freak brothers.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:40:08 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

Gee, you almost look like your might be a hummus-eating sandal-wearing
leftist-leaning ex-hippie in that picture!

Clearly one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, as the saying goes. :-)

Never wore sandals, and haven't even owned blue jeans since I was a
kid... a true nerd/geek ;-)

(But I do eat hummus ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...

See attachment for laugh of the day

...Jim Thompson

So, where are your Apple IIs? ;-)

Bill Garber

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:44:51 -0500, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...

See attachment for laugh of the day

...Jim Thompson

So, where are your Apple IIs? ;-)

Bill Garber

Never owned an Apple, but did own a TI SR-52:

http://smithsonianchips.si.edu/texas...2000-07518.htm

http://www.vcalc.net/ti-hist.htm

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Never owned an Apple, but did own a TI SR-52:

What was your first personal computer, Jim?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:40:45 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Never owned an Apple, but did own a TI SR-52:

What was your first personal computer, Jim?

The first one I bought was a 286 clone for the oldest son.

(I was using a VAX780, at Omnicomp/GenRad, at the time ;-)

Though I had used a 386 at Sperry when I consulted there.

I later bought a 386 clone (with 387 co-processor) for myself, 40MB
hard-drive and extended RAM.

I currently run on two (clone) PC's with AMD Athlon 64 Processors
(4000+) with 1GB/80GB-HD ("Communications") and 2GB/130GB-HD (PSpice
machine).

Dual ViewSonic VA912b LCD Monitors, on an Extreme Miniview 4 Port KVMP
Switch, LinkSys 8-port router, Motorola SB5120 Cable Modem, Cox HSI
Premier, hp LaserJet P2015dn, and hp OfficeJet Pro K850 (B-size).

I'm about to install several APC 1500VA UPS's.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Sounds like a nice setup; thanks for the information.

APC makes good UPSes... I ended up with (the slightly smaller version of)
this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CP1.../dp/B000FBK3QK ,
from Cyberpower, and have been quite happy with it. (Since our house is out
in the boonies a bit, during storms there'd be an occasional power glitch that
would be enough to reset the DSL modem. My wife works from home via "remote
desktop"-style software, so this could easily kill anywhere from 15 minutes to
hours worth of work depending on whether or not she could recover the session
after the modem was going again.)

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:31:27 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

Sounds like a nice setup; thanks for the information.

APC makes good UPSes... I ended up with (the slightly smaller version of)
this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CP1.../dp/B000FBK3QK ,
from Cyberpower, and have been quite happy with it. (Since our house is out
in the boonies a bit, during storms there'd be an occasional power glitch that
would be enough to reset the DSL modem. My wife works from home via "remote
desktop"-style software, so this could easily kill anywhere from 15 minutes to
hours worth of work depending on whether or not she could recover the session
after the modem was going again.)

---Joel

That's why I'm adding UPS's. Nearly 15 years here with nary a line
dip, except for one nearly-direct lightning strike many years ago.

Then, in the past few weeks, hardly a day goes by without the lights
dimming or blinking, so I'd better protect us.

My wife is also "working remote" on Girl Scout data entry... she's
neighborhood registrar this year... she might kill me if she lost an
hour's worth of work ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:35:07 -0800, "BobW"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:40:45 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Never owned an Apple, but did own a TI SR-52:

What was your first personal computer, Jim?

The first one I bought was a 286 clone for the oldest son.

(I was using a VAX780, at Omnicomp/GenRad, at the time ;-)

Though I had used a 386 at Sperry when I consulted there.

I later bought a 386 clone (with 387 co-processor) for myself, 40MB
hard-drive and extended RAM.

I currently run on two (clone) PC's with AMD Athlon 64 Processors
(4000+) with 1GB/80GB-HD ("Communications") and 2GB/130GB-HD (PSpice
machine).

Dual ViewSonic VA912b LCD Monitors, on an Extreme Miniview 4 Port KVMP
Switch, LinkSys 8-port router, Motorola SB5120 Cable Modem, Cox HSI
Premier, hp LaserJet P2015dn, and hp OfficeJet Pro K850 (B-size).

I'm about to install several APC 1500VA UPS's.

...Jim Thompson

Oooh. I remember those VAX780s. They had a login script called LOGIN.COM,
and the latest version for your login, for example, might be LOGIN.COM;3
(indicating the third version of this file).

Well, one day, a coworker found a way to overwrite my login file. The next
time I logged in, it copied ALL my files into one of his directories and
then deleted all of my files. It also included a screen message on the order
of, "ALL FILES AND SUBDIRECTORIES HAVE BEEN ERASED". When I tried to figure
out what had happened, the only left was a login script named LOGIN.COM;666
. He was a real devil!

Bob

I grew to love that method of version maintenance. When I first
started running Spice on DOS, my oldest son wrote a program to do just
that, keeping a running history of every netlist change, saving it
_and_ the matching .dat file.

There were many gag stunts you could play with those machines. The
most used one was the duck with hammer pounding, with "Hit Any Key to
Continue" ;-)

The main problem I had was "administrators" logging me off while I was
turned away from my keyboard (for more than 15 minutes) doing
schematic drawings by hand. I would turn around to enter a netlist
and find myself logged off.

So I wrote a script that watched the keyboard for activity... no
activity for 10 minutes, it'd send a couple of "Enter" keystrokes ;-)

Administrator figured out what I was doing and threatened to
disembowel my script.

I allowed as how I'd tip off everyone in the plant how to do that
electro-mechanically, no script needed. So he backed off.

A few months later I entered the building to find the lobby filled
with cops. They were there to arrest the two administrators for using
the GenRad computer to conduct their own personal software company ;-)

Bwahahahahahaha!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Then, in the past few weeks, hardly a day goes by without the lights
dimming or blinking, so I'd better protect us.

I sometimes wonder if the money we're spending these days on UPSes would do
just as much -- or more -- good if it were instead put into improving the
power grid.

And building more power plants, which unfortunately these days is much more
difficult than it should be due to sometimes-overzealous environmentalists.
:-(

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

Then, in the past few weeks, hardly a day goes by without the lights
dimming or blinking, so I'd better protect us.

My wife is also "working remote" on Girl Scout data entry... she's
neighborhood registrar this year... she might kill me if she lost an
hour's worth of work ;-)

I use at least 2 backup disks. Full backups are written to each one, taking
turns. But before the full backup, a differential backup is done to the
other backup disk. It has the previous full backup, so this brings it up to
date in a few minutes. The total is barely more than the time of a single
full backup, but produces redundant backups that are all up to date. With 3
backup disks you would first do the differential backups to all but the
current one.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:40:45 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Never owned an Apple, but did own a TI SR-52:

What was your first personal computer, Jim?

The first one I bought was a 286 clone for the oldest son.

Timex Sinclair

(I was using a VAX780, at Omnicomp/GenRad, at the time ;-)

I scrapped a tractor trailer load of DEC VAC computers

Though I had used a 386 at Sperry when I consulted there.

My first XT was built from a pile of damaged boards & drives. It had
a whole 5 MB hard drive.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99886

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

So you *did* smoke pot back in those days eh? ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

See attachment for laugh of the day

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:02:18 -0600, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

So you *did* smoke pot back in those days eh? ;-)

Tim

Nope. Never did drugs. I think it's a control thing... I don't like
not being in control of my mind or body. I wouldn't even take muscle
relaxants when I had a back injury, because I couldn't focus my eyes
;-)

But I can drink you under the table and never get drunk... just
finally sleepy ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
But I can drink you under the table and never get drunk... just
finally sleepy ;-)

Probably true! At my body weight (150) and the frequency I drink (maybe
once a month), one or two reasonable beers (like ~6% ABV) gets me a buzz. I
haven't even experimented with more. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

WWW: Composites Merit Badge [email protected] Woodworking 7 June 25th 07 05:34 AM
Active Badge survey [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 21st 06 05:08 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 55 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 January 2nd 06 07:46 AM
Micro CHP Mike UK diy 43 April 23rd 05 07:07 PM
Routers with badge labels mutley UK diy 2 February 4th 04 11:06 PM