Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default WWW: Composites Merit Badge

A self-study in composite and laminate materials and manufacture.

http://www.acmanet.org/bsa/index.cfm

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Hey Doug,

Nice of you to pop in once in a while, but what's this latest about,
or is it just point of interest you are sharing??

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:01:27 -0700, wrote:

A self-study in composite and laminate materials and manufacture.

http://www.acmanet.org/bsa/index.cfm

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Jun 23, 10:31 pm, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Doug,

Nice of you to pop in once in a while, but what's this latest about,
or is it just point of interest you are sharing??

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:01:27 -0700, wrote:
A self-study in composite and laminate materials and manufacture.

http://www.acmanet.org/bsa/index.cfm

Hi, Brian!

I am studying to laminate 1 mm thick aluminum and a Masonite or
acrylic base panel for high-power circuit boards for the MOEPED, then
etch the laminate with lye to form traces. Wilson Metalaminate product
may do for some, but one project is more than 1000 A. A copper circuit
board just won't do. These traces are 10x thicker than 4 mil copper,
but are a bit less conductive.

Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Hi, Brian!

I am studying to laminate 1 mm thick aluminum and a Masonite or
acrylic base panel for high-power circuit boards for the MOEPED, then
etch the laminate with lye to form traces. Wilson Metalaminate product
may do for some, but one project is more than 1000 A. A copper circuit
board just won't do. These traces are 10x thicker than 4 mil copper,
but are a bit less conductive.

Doug

Hey again Doug,

WOW!!! Pretty heavy duty stuff. Can't you use PC board triggers and
a heat-sink instead? For that kind of current, the shorter the path
the better! I can't wrap my head around anything that carries that
kind of current that isn't "stud mounted" or some sort of mechanical
connect (bolt-on??), rather than on or part of a film, even 40 mils
thick. Even at 40 mils it will have to be a really wide trace! And
you really DO NOT want to witness a 1000 Amp "short".

How is the transportation work coming along? I haven't seen much here
about it lately.

Take care.

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Hey Doug:

Six layers of 6 oz copper = 1100 A at a 20 C rise in a 25 C ambient.

http://www.pcbco.com.au/tracecalc.html

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Jun 24, 9:04 am, Brian Lawson wrote:
[...]

Woot!

This is the transportation work. I am slapping together 6 of my 16
2700 F, 2.5 V caps and a battery disconnect. I should be able to put
15V x 1000 A = 15KW into a dead short for as little as about 0.2
seconds. That's 3kJ or roughly a whack with a 30 pound sledge moving
at about 75 fps. Enough to break a lock. That's the whole point of the
military side of the MOEPED; you can break things, cut things, and
weld things. Of course the sledge concentrates the impact, but this
does have some potential.

I like the ecological aspect, too, Copper tailiings are more poisonous
than aluminum. I will recycle what I generate. Ferric choride is
nasty. Lye is not as bad.

I've got another two each 83F, 15 V packs for up to 45 VDC on the way,
enough to give the 36 V motor a real spin during the transistion from
downhill to uphill. You see, coasting downhill the motor can generate
45 to 50 V.

All the caps have aluminum terminals and aluminum bus bars are
recommended. They are all stud mounted components. I have some 2 mm
thick aluminum to play with, too. It's just an experiment in
production engineering; what is the best way to make LOTS of 1000 A,
15 V packs? This might be it.

Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Jun 24, 7:53 pm, Winston wrote:
Hey Doug:

Six layers of 6 oz copper = 1100 A at a 20 C rise in a 25 C ambient.

http://www.pcbco.com.au/tracecalc.html

--Winston

How wide would that trace be?

Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

How wide would that trace be?

Doug

Each of the six traces would be about 4.8" wide.
Or you *could* parallel four 4/0 cables! :}

--Winston