Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default How are IC's Labeled?

"John Larkin" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:17:17 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
. ..
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 19:22:45 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

ian field wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Eeyore wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
"Tom Del Rosso" wrote:
"John Larkin"
wrote

IC, CON, HDR, TR, VR, CHO, RN, RV, RLY, SW, LED and such
are
all
amateur inventions.

CR is still common. Is that supposed to be "controlled
rectifier"
(like in
SCR)?

It was "crystal rectifier", and D was "dynamotor". You don't
see
many
surface-mount dynamotors [1] any more, so lots of people have
swiped D
for diodes.

These designators are the classic military ones.

In the USA !

Of course in the USA. America has built most of the military
electronics that have been used, since the start of WW-II. We
can't
leave a task like that to amateurs, and idiots.

Actually, you simply copied many British designs.

Actually, I didn't. The British designs were something they
couldn't build, so why brag about being so incompetent?

Radio, RADAR and electronics, in general was a new field, so lots
of
designs were worthless mental exercises withiout the knowledge to
round
off the rough edges and make the damn things work.?

We had H2S up and running before America copied it and called it H2X.

Our radars were working just fine - all we needed was US manufacturing
capacity to meet the demands of the war effort.

Designs you can't build are worthless.

The brits didn't do a lot of development of microwave radar, aside
from inventing the cavity magnetron. Most radar development was done
at the MIT RadLab, assisted by US industry, inventing modern
electronics in the process.

Radar wasn't a unique invention. The US, Germany, and Japan were
working on radar before the war, and all deployed radars of various
quality during the war. The US radars were stunningly better than any
others, for lots of reasons. Even during the war, we were using PPI
radars that had ranges better than half the theoretical limits and
stunning resolution. US ships sank enemy ships and subs that they
never actually saw. The proximity fuze improved the effectiveness of
antiaircraft guns and artillery by 1-2 orders of magnitude.

Also in the post war years the US bought significant numbers of
British
jet
engines because they couldn't get their own prototypes working
properly.

The German ones were better.

John

Having downloaded a huge quantity of aircraft e-books I'm not reading
anywhere that the US imported German jet engines in the post war years, it
was always British engines when the US couldn't get their own going -
although TBF the US did go the honest route most of the time and build
under
license instead of outright ripping off the design like some other
countries
did.

Right up to WW2 the US aviation industry was living in the dark ages -
most
manufacturers were still tarting up old biplane designs with enclosed
canopies and retractable landing gear. When the US finally wised up and
started making monoplanes they were struggling to get speed more than
250mph

The P38 topped out at 443 MPH. 3300 mile range.

With streamlined water cooled engines.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

But stories like this are my delight...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-ro...,3093259.story

Doesn't Blagojevich look like an actor who would play a corrupt politician
in a TV movie?

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:09:20 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

Right up to WW2 the US aviation industry was living in the dark ages -
most
manufacturers were still tarting up old biplane designs with enclosed
canopies and retractable landing gear. When the US finally wised up and
started making monoplanes they were struggling to get speed more than
250mph

The P38 topped out at 443 MPH. 3300 mile range.

With streamlined water cooled engines.

Engineering: do the simplest thing that works.

This is worth reading...

http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Pe...14249&sr= 8-1

The Skunk Works is (are?) one of my customers. Very nice folks. They
send us posters and patches to get us to expedite shipments.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Right up to WW2 the US aviation industry was living in the dark ages -
most
manufacturers were still tarting up old biplane designs with enclosed
canopies and retractable landing gear. When the US finally wised up and
started making monoplanes they were struggling to get speed more than
250mph

The P38 topped out at 443 MPH. 3300 mile range.

With streamlined water cooled engines.

Engineering: do the simplest thing that works.

Certainly! You have minimal support in a war zone.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Has the term "snip" ever crossed your mind?

Jim

"ian field" wrote in message

With streamlined water cooled engines.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"RST Engineering (jw)" wrote in message
m...
Has the term "snip" ever crossed your mind?

Jim

From someone who's too thick to stop top posting!!!!!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , John Larkin
writes
This is worth reading...

http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Pe.../dp/0316743003
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229014249&sr= 8-1

There's one that I bought in a bargain bin, an excellent (geeky) read
that tells the story of the development of stealth technology from the
original Russian paper describing how radar signatures could be
predicted. I'll try and find the title if you're interested.

The Skunk Works is (are?) one of my customers. Very nice folks. They
send us posters and patches to get us to expedite shipments.

Lucky man, very cool. I got animation cels once upon a time for helping
speed a delivery up.

John

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message

There's one that I bought in a bargain bin, an excellent (geeky) read
that tells the story of the development of stealth technology from the
original Russian paper describing how radar signatures could be
predicted. I'll try and find the title if you're interested.

Original Russian paper? They're only making their first stealth planes now.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , Tom Del Rosso
writes
Original Russian paper? They're only making their first stealth planes now.

So what?

The original Russian paper wasn't specifically about how to design or
optimise a stealth 'plane but gave a method for predicting/modelling the
radar return of a surface and, by extension, minimise it. It was
'discovered' by someone working for Lockheed in the 70s and used create
a computer program that helped design the F-117A.

And I'm still jealous of John Larkin having Skunkworks as a customer.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:08:45 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"RST Engineering (jw)" wrote in message
om...
Has the term "snip" ever crossed your mind?

Jim

From someone who's too thick to stop top posting!!!!!

Which makes him a goddamned retard that should be filtered by all.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Eeyore wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 09:45:19 -0800, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

Because I was already taken for an (I)ncandescent Lamp, and I was used
because L (Lamp) had been assigned to Inductor a great long time ago.

I recall lamps being DS.

LP here I think.

LP here is Liquid Propane.