Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
ian field[_2_] ian field[_2_] is offline

Default How are IC's Labeled?

"John Larkin" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:17:17 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
. ..
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 19:22:45 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

ian field wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Eeyore wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
"Tom Del Rosso" wrote:
"John Larkin"
wrote

IC, CON, HDR, TR, VR, CHO, RN, RV, RLY, SW, LED and such
are
all
amateur inventions.

CR is still common. Is that supposed to be "controlled
rectifier"
(like in
SCR)?

It was "crystal rectifier", and D was "dynamotor". You don't
see
many
surface-mount dynamotors [1] any more, so lots of people have
swiped D
for diodes.

These designators are the classic military ones.

In the USA !

Of course in the USA. America has built most of the military
electronics that have been used, since the start of WW-II. We
can't
leave a task like that to amateurs, and idiots.

Actually, you simply copied many British designs.

Actually, I didn't. The British designs were something they
couldn't build, so why brag about being so incompetent?

Radio, RADAR and electronics, in general was a new field, so lots
of
designs were worthless mental exercises withiout the knowledge to
round
off the rough edges and make the damn things work.?

We had H2S up and running before America copied it and called it H2X.

Our radars were working just fine - all we needed was US manufacturing
capacity to meet the demands of the war effort.

Designs you can't build are worthless.

The brits didn't do a lot of development of microwave radar, aside
from inventing the cavity magnetron. Most radar development was done
at the MIT RadLab, assisted by US industry, inventing modern
electronics in the process.

Radar wasn't a unique invention. The US, Germany, and Japan were
working on radar before the war, and all deployed radars of various
quality during the war. The US radars were stunningly better than any
others, for lots of reasons. Even during the war, we were using PPI
radars that had ranges better than half the theoretical limits and
stunning resolution. US ships sank enemy ships and subs that they
never actually saw. The proximity fuze improved the effectiveness of
antiaircraft guns and artillery by 1-2 orders of magnitude.

Also in the post war years the US bought significant numbers of
British
jet
engines because they couldn't get their own prototypes working
properly.

The German ones were better.

John

Having downloaded a huge quantity of aircraft e-books I'm not reading
anywhere that the US imported German jet engines in the post war years, it
was always British engines when the US couldn't get their own going -
although TBF the US did go the honest route most of the time and build
under
license instead of outright ripping off the design like some other
countries
did.

Right up to WW2 the US aviation industry was living in the dark ages -
most
manufacturers were still tarting up old biplane designs with enclosed
canopies and retractable landing gear. When the US finally wised up and
started making monoplanes they were struggling to get speed more than
250mph

The P38 topped out at 443 MPH. 3300 mile range.

With streamlined water cooled engines.