Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Father/daughter talk...

Father/daughter talk...

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so
many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal
Democrat, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of
higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words,
redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch
Republican, a feeling she openly expressed.

Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional
chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored
an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher
taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be
the truth and she indicated so to her father.

He asked how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and
let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was
taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which
left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew.

She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't have time for
partying with friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, 'How is your friend Audrey doing?'

She replied, 'Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy
classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so
popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to
all the parties and lots of times she doesn't even show up for her
classes because she's too hung over.'

Her wise father asked his daughter, 'Why don't you go to the Dean's
office and ask him to deduct 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your
friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and
certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.'

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily
fired back, That's insane!

How could that be fair???

I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time,
and a lot of hard work!

Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I
worked my tail off!'

The father sheepishly smiled, winked and said gently, 'Welcome to the
Republican party.'

I've never heard a better explanation of the difference between
Republican and Democrat. Nancy Pelosi's father should have had this
conversation with her.

================

E-mailed to me today by daughter-in-law Renee, widow of my second son
Duane.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Come on. Confess. You just changed 'George' to 'Audrey' and 'he' to
'she'.

;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
Hanlon's Razor:
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Jim, just one question: do you have insurances?

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

And I'm three paces behind you, Jim. I don't have a flying freakin' IDEA
what he's getting at.

BTW, you do understand that you can be a social liberal and a fiscal
conservative at the same time, yes?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

I'm slow this morning... still waking up... WHAT is Nico suggesting?

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:20:32 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

And I'm three paces behind you, Jim. I don't have a flying freakin' IDEA
what he's getting at.

BTW, you do understand that you can be a social liberal and a fiscal
conservative at the same time, yes?

Jim

Of course. In spite of my detractors opinions I AM probably more
liberal (tolerant) than they are. They HATE me. I don't hate them, I
just think they are ignorant.

As I pointed out in a recent letter-to-editor of my own, responding to
a witch who called me a bigot, my immediate family consists of
atheists plus members of three distinct religions, not all of which
are even Christianity-based, and we're not all Caucasian... and we get
along just fine.

But I am a hawk, and I don't believe in baby-sitting by the
government.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:56:41 GMT, (Nico Coesel)
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:19:26 GMT,
(Nico Coesel)
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[snip]
E-mailed to me today by daughter-in-law Renee, widow of my second son
Duane.

Jim, just one question: do you have insurances?

Not sure of WHY you are asking... but yes.

An insurance is the same thing: you work for the money you pay to the
insurance company. If someone else slips up, he (or she) gets away
with the money you worked for. Distribution of wealth (communism) is
stupid, but having some (government regulated) insurance that keeps
people on their feet is not.

Insurance companies ARE regulated in the US and are required to have
reserves sufficient to meet claims, otherwise they're taken over by
either state or federal regulators.

This recent fiasco is due to Clinton approving the removal of
restraints on investment banks, who then got into mortgage
_instruments_.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| E-mail Icon at
http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:05:49 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:34:48 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 07:01:31 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:19:26 GMT, (Nico Coesel)
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Father/daughter talk...

[snip]
================

E-mailed to me today by daughter-in-law Renee, widow of my second son
Duane.

Jim, just one question: do you have insurances?

Note that insurance is voluntary and you have to pay for it.

Not to mention that, generally, the bigger a risk you are the more you
pay. Sort of the 'reverse' of what I suspect you're suggesting.

I'm slow this morning... still waking up... WHAT is Nico suggesting?

Well, I don't like to put words in people's mouths, or play 'mind
reader, but if it's like others who've brought up "insurance" in
similar circumstances he's likely trying to make an argument that
'welfare', and 'income redistribution', is 'like insurance'.

Except the recipient of benefits didn't pay for the "policy"...
working stiffs did.

Then the argument goes, if you don't mind, or even like (and have),
'insurance' why are you opposed to the other 'similar thing'?

I don't view it as a 'similar thing'... only a leftist weenie would
think such a thing.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| E-mail Icon at
http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

Liberals are so ignorant...
They don't even know the definition of ignorant

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

I don't think anybody here hates you, Jim. Misguided? Perhaps. Following
your own star? Perhaps. Hate is reserved for that miserable ******* in the
White House that has sent several thousand of our best and finest young
people to their deaths without so much as a CLUE as to what "winning the war
on terrorism" looks like when you actually "win". "Winning" is standing on
the forecastle of the battleship Missouri while your opponent signs the
articles of defeat.

We ain't won a war and have lost tens of thousands of our best and finest in
over sixty years.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

Of course. In spite of my detractors opinions I AM probably more
liberal (tolerant) than they are. They HATE me. I don't hate them, I
just think they are ignorant.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:11:59 -0500, flipper wrote:
[snip]

You sound like a 'Republican'.

[snip]

You "sound like" a fairy, does "sound like" make it so ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

To Father Kylesmas Stuart UK diy 6 December 22nd 06 11:53 PM
Gross OT, Father Ted DVD Paul Andrews UK diy 0 March 15th 06 05:44 PM
Gross OT, Father Ted DVD Richard Conway UK diy 0 March 15th 06 05:29 PM
God The Father and Many Saints on 6-18-04 [email protected] Woodworking 0 October 17th 05 06:38 PM
Fwd: Plea from my Father-in-law Ikie Cabolacov Metalworking 4 July 30th 04 11:54 PM