Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Good old 7407

I was updating a design that used the Allegro UDN2595 non-inverting power
driver. Allegero has discontinued most of their old power drivers and only
has a few that are not serial inputs. Toshiba has a similar part TD62384 but
it is a real pain to obtain. I was having a real problem trying to find
power drivers that would work with a 24V bus. It occurred to me that the old
TTL series 7406 and 7407 are rated for 30V open drain and will sink 40ma.
This will definitely work in the application and they are still showing as
active (Texas Instruments).

If anybody has suggestions on other power drivers - Source or Sink for 24V
and 100 to 300ma please let me know.

The ULN2803 was discontinued by Allegro but is still being sourced by
Toahiba snd TI in dip and soic packages.
A6801 is new from Allegro - Octal latched sink driver with cmos inputs and
darlington outputs. Interesting part.

For most of my new designs- I plan to use the Freescale MC33879 low/high
side switch. Has a SPI input and octal output switches that can be wired to
source or sink from a 5.5 to 26.5V bus. Current limited, protected and load
fault detection-Can detect open load or fault. With a bit of trickery, can
also be used as an input port. Two of the channels have PWM inputs.

For general purpose I/O - found a nice port expander from Microchip MCP23S17
16bit port expander which can have any bits input or output and has built-in
interrupt on change or condition. Available in SPI or I^2C.

Thanks for any input
Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:49:15 GMT, the renowned "Oppie"
wrote:

I was updating a design that used the Allegro UDN2595 non-inverting power
driver. Allegero has discontinued most of their old power drivers and only
has a few that are not serial inputs. Toshiba has a similar part TD62384 but
it is a real pain to obtain. I was having a real problem trying to find
power drivers that would work with a 24V bus. It occurred to me that the old
TTL series 7406 and 7407 are rated for 30V open drain and will sink 40ma.
This will definitely work in the application and they are still showing as
active (Texas Instruments).

They suck a lot of juice from the 5V rail. Maybe that's not a problem
for you.

If anybody has suggestions on other power drivers - Source or Sink for 24V
and 100 to 300ma please let me know.

ULN2003 is cheaper than 2803 and gives you 7 high current outputs
with catch diodes.

[...]

TPIC series of DMOS drivers from TI.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I tried to find a selection guide for TI's TPIC family - very confusing. Is
there a family overview that you can point me to? Thanks for your help and
comments.
Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:43:10 GMT, the renowned "Oppie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I don't know if there is an overview document. Try searching Digikey
with the TPIC prefix and you'll find them (categorized in several
ways). I've use the shift registers among others. Note that ST second
sources some of them.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:49:15 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

[...]

I seem to remember the old Fairchild 9665,6,7,8 series were pretty
useful driver IC's. 100mA load was easy IIRC.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
[...]

I have 300 of the ULN2803 if it will help you!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Herman" wrote in message

I have 300 of the ULN2803 if it will help you!

Thanks for the offer but not necessary at present. ULN2803 is still offered
in DIP and SOIC by TI and Toshiba.

The Old UDN2595 from Allegro (Sprague) was nice to work with since it was a
Non-inverting driver with a PNP input. Interfaced nicely to 8051 type (quasi
bi-directional) ports for a glitchless power-up. Toshiba has similar parts
but dealing with them over anything but the most common of parts can be a
nightmare. I got a notice of discontinuation on one part with no
replacement. Seems that they migrated production from a 3" wafer fab to a 5"
fab. The replacement part was the same number but with a (5) suffix! DUH -
who ever heard of making the wafer fab part of a spec code? Should be
transparent to the user. Then there is RoHS...
OK, I feel better now grin.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Not a solution for you ... Just that the function (power driver) and part
number (UDN2595) that you mentioned set off bells here. Just two days ago (what
are the chances?!) I was sorting through a box of very old (1970's) DIP and TO-3
devices when I stopped at a single Sprague UHP 500 in plastic DIP. I used to
know what it is, because I ordered it (from Cramer?) for a project at work a-way
back in '73 when I was a tech., but full-blown CRS set in when I turned 60 and
so ... well, I couldn't remember the d___ed function of this device. By dang!,
a PDF was easy to find on the web (also amazing). POWER DRIVER. Now I remember
that my intended use for this part was to drive small incandescents (panel
indicators). This device is still in its protective white plastic carrier, has
never been removed as far as I know. Wonder if all the electrons leaked out
during the intervening years. Maybe I could sell it on Ebay and retire on the
proceeds!

Oppie wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Very happy to help jog your memory a bit. I'm 56 and while full-blown CRS
hasn't set in completely yet.... I do manage to bug the heck out of my wife
who has a photographic memory - with no missing pixels.