Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Neat Old Magazines on line

I found this site of old magazines: National Geographic's,
Scientific American, Technology Review, Popular Electronics, Popular
Science, Modern Mechanix, Mechanix Illustrated, and a few semi-smut
magazines

Dates range from 1910-1980 or so, some 300 total

Not every issue of every mag - some aren't well represented. But the
neat thing is the pages are copied for reading.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/covers The magazine covers (takes time
to load)

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...ball-bearings/

DIY: "Harmless Steam Cannon Shoots Ball Bearings"

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...&Qis=XL# qdig

Build your own "Geiger gun"

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...tte-dispenser/

DIY cigarette dispenser

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

I thought at first that the covers page would navigate to the articles.
Wrong - must navigate from the left side panel.
Some interesting old projects there. I'm getting nostalgic looling at some
of the articles I read during my mis-spent youth...

"default" wrote in message
I found this site of old magazines: National Geographic's,
Scientific American, Technology Review, Popular Electronics, Popular
Science, Modern Mechanix, Mechanix Illustrated, and a few semi-smut
magazines

Dates range from 1910-1980 or so, some 300 total

Not every issue of every mag - some aren't well represented. But the
neat thing is the pages are copied for reading.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/covers The magazine covers (takes time
to load)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Oppie" wrote in message news:2FIVi.2875$p%.878@trndny03...

Some interesting old projects there. I'm getting nostalgic looling at some of the articles I read during my mis-spent youth...
http://blog.modernmechanix.com

You probably ment this ?

"Use a heavy turkish towel over the too-fleshy parts and slap good and hard to firm up the flabby tissues"
That's right girls, slap your ass repeatedly to firm them up!"

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...ips-hips-away/

The one on the left seems to have invented break-dancing.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"TheM" wrote in message

"Oppie" wrote in message

Some interesting old projects there. I'm getting nostalgic looling at
some of the articles I read during my mis-spent youth...
http://blog.modernmechanix.com

You probably ment this ?

"Use a heavy turkish towel over the too-fleshy parts and slap good and
hard to firm up the flabby tissues"
That's right girls, slap your ass repeatedly to firm them up!"

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/...ips-hips-away/

The one on the left seems to have invented break-dancing.

Not quite... LOL
I was more interested in the mechanical and electronic mags of the '50s
Found a neat construction project on how to build a go-kart or mini bike. I
remember back then getting brain freeze whenever a project required welding.
Now that I have a decent MIG, I haven't the time for those projects. Such is
life.

Somewhere I have filed away the construction article that appeared in the
amateur physicist section of SciAm on how to build a HeNe laser from
scratch. Lots of advanced glass blowing skills needed. Was somewhere from
the mid 60s.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Oppie" wrote in message

"TheM" wrote in message

"Oppie" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Oppie,
I have a CD of SciAm covering 1928 to 2001.
I find two articles;

September, 1964. How a Persevering Amateur Can Build a Gas Laser in the Home

February, 1969. How to Construct an Argon Gas Laser with Outputs At Several
Wavelengths

Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"TheM" wrote in message

"Oppie" wrote in message

[...]

That would be the 1964 article then. Pretty involved to construct. Yes,
'persevering' was the key word there. Makes today's semiconductor lasers
look ultra simple by comparison.
If you feel like posting it to news:alt.binaries.e-book.technical I'm pretty
sure it would be appreciated by a larger audience.

Oppie