Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

Default Cleaning PC

Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Any caveats with just taking an air hose to it ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Try a pipe cleaner.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Try a pipe cleaner.

You can also buy Q-tips on longer sticks if they fit.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:
Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Any caveats with just taking an air hose to it ?:-)

The biggest problem with compressed air is it blows the dist
everywhere (both inside the box and all over the room).

I often use compressed air, but I have to take the box
outside to do it, or hold the vacuum hose in one hand and
the air gun in the other and suck up the dust, just as the
air jet knocks it loose. This way, I only have to move it
once, not chase it around the box lots of times.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

John Popelish wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Any caveats with just taking an air hose to it ?:-)

The biggest problem with compressed air is it blows the dist everywhere
(both inside the box and all over the room).

I often use compressed air, but I have to take the box outside to do it,
or hold the vacuum hose in one hand and the air gun in the other and
suck up the dust, just as the air jet knocks it loose. This way, I only
have to move it once, not chase it around the box lots of times.

What also really helps is a shop vac with a drywaller's bag plus filter
in there. HW stores have those.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:39:26 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Any caveats with just taking an air hose to it ?:-)

Constrain the fans from getting spun up. If they have coils,
and there's any residual magnetism, they make nifty little
generators.

Be aware that cables can flap in the breeze.

Have the vacuum hose nearby, running, to try to limit the
amount of dust that settles onto everything else in the room;
maybe even a window fan/box fan, with a furnace filter...

Have Fun!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

wrote:

Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Any caveats with just taking an air hose to it ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

That's what I do... Never had a problem yet. Even water in many cases
works...
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

In message , Jim Thompson
writes
Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Any caveats with just taking an air hose to it ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Just make sure whatever compressor it's connected to has a clean dry
receiver and/or a water/oil trap if required. Resist the temptation to
make the wonderful whizzing sound with the fans and try to do it outside
or somewhere that your SO won't complain about the dust.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Any caveats with just taking an air hose to it ?:-)

I concur with John. Let me add that I also open the power supply
to get into all its little dust traps. I also take the time to inspect the
electrolytics for swelling while I in there.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electonics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

Trying to vacuum down in heatsink crevices I can't get there.

Any caveats with just taking an air hose to it ?:-)

I recently did exactly that with several high power audio amplifiers. It's very
effective.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:
Be careful of static electricity from the air flow.

I have never noted that to be a problem with compressed air
and a metal blow gun. Vacuum cleaners with plastic hoses can
be killers, though.

-Chuck